BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Librarian

Exactly.

Which is what I was talking about before when I said it would not be a game breaker, but would make the enemy think twice about their game plan.

In addition to the not having the internal guidance ability that space marine drop pods have, you do not get the drop pod assault rule to make up to half the drop pods arrive on first turn. You can never be sure when the Dreadclaw will arrive, except turn 4 when all reserves arrive.

Thankfully if it does mishap, the new deep strike mishap table is a lot more lenient. There is less chance of your transport and passengers being destroyed, and a 50% chance of it only being delayed.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

Assault vehicles cannot assault out of deepstrike per the main rulebook faq.(page 4)

Librarian

I know, in fact I told FW this and quoted the relevant page in my email, explaining to them that this is why the Dreadclaw could not do what they had intended it to do as per the fluff paragraph.

I also mentioned that the few units that could deep strike and assault, had rules such as heroic intervention in their codex that specifically override the main rules book. From their reply I understood that they wold be adding rules in the FAQ to specifically allow it to override the BRB.

It sounded like they were going to specifically make it that it was treated like a drop pod on the turn it arrives, and only after it has dropped from orbit does it then revert to being a flier/hover. That means it would not be deep striking as a flier, but as a drop pod and they would add rules to cover this.

Otherwise Space marine drop pods could not deploy their passengers on the turn it arrives. The Space Marine Codex has special rules in it for Drop Pods overriding the BRB, to allow it to deploy troop. The codex forces the troops to disembark and makes it so no one can re-enter it. If not for the rules in its codex, the SM drop pod could not deploy its troops on the turn it arrived because the 6th edition FAQ ver 1.a states you can not deploy passengers after deep striking.
    Last edited by Daemonette666; 12-15-2012 at 06:31 PM.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

Damn, I will have to buy that new IA Aeronautica book if I wanna use the Dreadclaw now! I wish they just had downloadable PDFs per piece. I'd rather pay $5 for that than $40 for a whole book.

I was thinking of the Dreadclaw as a good way to steal objectives by Deepstriking a Troops choice rather than use a Rhino or Land Raider. Plague Marines with Typhus and a Nurgle Sorcerer or Lord with the Burning Brand, for example, could really thin out or erase enemy units of most types on a far objective too difficult to reach with tanks. Daemons can of course do that too, but they can't shoot stuff like Chaos Marines can. Well, hopefully the FAQ for it will come out by March so I can think about using a Dreadclaw in the Adepticon Gladiator....just thinking thus far....

Veteran-Sergeant

Emailed them asking the same and got pretty much the same answer, just "these are the rules" rather than " this is what we intended".

Hi,

Thanks for your e-mail. The Dreadclaw deploys exactly like a Space Marine Drop Pod, and its contents may deploy as normal and launch an assault if they so wish.

In subsequent turns, it may act as a Flyer.

If there is anything further we can do to assist you, or if you have any queries about the information we have requested or provided, please telephone us.

Regards,
    Forge World

Stuff waiting for an FAQ, this email will do nicely.

Librarian

I have been discussing this on another website in a similar thread, and mentioned that they could make a ruling for TOs for its general use until a rewrite or FAQ is released. A member who I have heated discussions with replied that he would never allow the Dreadclaw to both un;oad passengers and allow them to assault on the turn they arrive.

I have found him to be a WAAC gamer who has gloated in the past when he beat my army with rules I did not know were out of date, and I had heard he winged when TOs set terrain up with only 2 buildings in his deployment zone and only 25% of the table covered in terrain. He apparently lost a couple battles because he could not set all his IG forces up in cover.

I do not plan to ever play against him again because of his WAAC attitude and his gloating manner, so that will not be a problem, but his response is not one I will reply to in order to avoid another argument between us on that website.

This is his actual response:

Without an FAQ to the contrary, there is no way I would accept assaulting from one in a first turn drop. No rule says this, even hints this, and it flies in the face of 6th ed general mindset. Whilst a future FAQ *might* allow this, you can't tell me the price won't change, the rules won't be tweaked, etc etc as well.

RAW now, at the very least, no assaulting.

Hopefully FW will release the FAQ soon and end the problem of the Dreadclaw not working as intended because RAI and RAW do not match with GWs 6th edition rules and FAQ for said rules. I will be trying to get my local gaming store to allow the Dreadclaw to be run using the FW emails RAI. I

It is not going to be a huge games style changing thing, no guarantee it will arrive when you need it, or if it will arrive at all (if you get tabled before it can arrive). Could deviate off table or into impassible terrain or onto enemy unit, etc. Deep strike mishaps and all the other problems you get with deep striking. Even if the passengers could assault, they could deviate too far to assault, and have overwatch fire to contend with. The points cost for it was increased by 20 points in IA Aeronautica, and it takes up one of your precious FOC Fast Attack slots.

I can see them being used by Khorne players to make their armies into proper World Eater Assault forces to make up for the short falls they get from having very few mid/ long range weapons.

Librarian

Forge World have removed the Dreadclaw Assault Pod from their website. I checked in the Heresy section, the Chaos section and the Imperial Navy section. Perhaps this is an omen of things to come.

I'm afraid that I agree that until a crystal clear Faq (or the new book) designates that a unit deploying from a Dreadclaw can assault the turn it arrives from reserve, it cannot do so. I hope that Faq does come as I'm a CSM player and such an ability (however expensive) would make several units viable in this edition.

Veteran-Sergeant

Thankfully my group are happy, (or at least no objections, lol), with the reply I received from forgeworld. And a much cheaper way to get them is convert regular drop pods. With a bit of trimming and filling and off course flip the vanes upsidedown, you can make a very passable dreadclaw.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Belial69 View Post
    Thankfully my group are happy, (or at least no objections, lol), with the reply I received from forgeworld. And a much cheaper way to get them is convert regular drop pods. With a bit of trimming and filling and off course flip the vanes upsidedown, you can make a very passable dreadclaw.
    Hopefully my group will be just as receptive to the email and accept that until the FAQ comes out. I luckily have 3 of the CNC assault pod Kits a FW Dreadclaw built and 2 others awaiting construction since Aug when I got them after my tax refund FW order. They do not play Apoc enough in my area though, which is a pain sometimes, as I have so many lovely super heavy vehicles, Gargantuan creatures, and SH walkers sitting in cupboards. Add in my 24 Apoc formations and I have a fair bit that is collecting dust. I still have components for nearly 2 Battle companies awaiting construction (till I get time, motivation, and the rest of the formation).

At least I will not incur the Wargamer's curse, as I will still always have a few miniatures not painted or not even put together.

I wonder what the disappearance of the Dreadclaw from the FW site means?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast