BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Black Library Recommendations?

So after reading the background in the new rulebook, a ton of internet articles and as many codices as I could get my hands on I'm still looking to further my education in 40k lore. I've decided perhaps a Black Library book is in order. So I ask fellow BoLS users any recommendations?

I'm probably going to avoid the Horus Heresy series for now, sticking to just 40k era to avoid confusion, so are there any standout titles or series that a newcomer should read?

Thanks in advance, GZ.

Chapter-Master

Personally, I really like the Blood Angels Omnibus. The second one is on its way from Amazon as we speak.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

Titanicus was a great read.

If you're into Eldar, the Path (Warrior, Seer and Outcast) is a great read, even if warrior is a bit ****

Path of Renegade (and soon Incubi) for Dark Eldar goings on
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Banned

Dead Men Walking is fantastic, as is Titanicus. The Caiphas Cain series is another I really enjoy, though some consider its lighthearted approach a turn off.

For more recent releases Priests of Mars is a great read.

If you do decide to dip a toe in the benighted waters of the Horus Heresy series, the first 3 books (Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy in Flames) form a single arc and are quite good. From there, you're best off picking based on your favorite faction. I have all of them so far that have been produced in paperback, and while I don't regret the purchases, there is a clear variation in quality. Be warned, you might find yourself either liking or disliking an army much more than previously if you read some of the legion specific ones.

Lastly, if you read much of the main arc of the Heresy, whereupon a certain gray-armored chaplain keeps showing up often, do yourself a favor and read the epilogue of Fear to Tread. It is extremely satisfying.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Thanks for the responses guys that's given me a good list to start with!

Quote Originally Posted by DWest View Post
    If you do decide to dip a toe in the benighted waters of the Horus Heresy series, the first 3 books (Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy in Flames) form a single arc and are quite good. From there, you're best off picking based on your favorite faction. I have all of them so far that have been produced in paperback, and while I don't regret the purchases, there is a clear variation in quality. Be warned, you might find yourself either liking or disliking an army much more than previously if you read some of the legion specific ones.

Lastly, if you read much of the main arc of the Heresy, whereupon a certain gray-armored chaplain keeps showing up often, do yourself a favor and read the epilogue of Fear to Tread. It is extremely satisfying.
    I do intend to get into the series in the future but for now I am opting for books set in the 40k era before I visit the ages past.

Brother-Captain

The Night Lords series is a good one, as is the Eldar Path series.

The first of the Dark Eldar books, Path of the Renegade, was a really fun one to read. It starts off pretty bad as he gets some key facts about a couple of things very wrong (Haemonculi and Scourge status and personality, along with the difference between a Kabal and a Wych Cult), but once you're past that initial little bit it's great.

One thing you always have to remember when reading Black Library books is that they very often get a couple of things wrong in terms of established canon, but as long as they aren't vital to the story you can generally just ignore and forgive them and have a good, entertaining read. It's always good to thoroughly read a faction's codex before reading any Black Library books about them, as it gives you the necessary grounding in their fluff to properly understand and appreciate the book as well as understand which parts are a little off-mark and which parts are brilliant realisations of the backstory.

Quote Originally Posted by Anggul View Post
    The Night Lords series is a good one, as is the Eldar Path series.

The first of the Dark Eldar books, Path of the Renegade, was a really fun one to read. It starts off pretty bad as he gets some key facts about a couple of things very wrong (Haemonculi and Scourge status and personality, along with the difference between a Kabal and a Wych Cult), but once you're past that initial little bit it's great.

One thing you always have to remember when reading Black Library books is that they very often get a couple of things wrong in terms of established canon, but as long as they aren't vital to the story you can generally just ignore and forgive them and have a good, entertaining read. It's always good to thoroughly read a faction's codex before reading any Black Library books about them, as it gives you the necessary grounding in their fluff to properly understand and appreciate the book as well as understand which parts are a little off-mark and which parts are brilliant realisations of the backstory.
    Thanks for the recommendations, my first army project are Chaos Marines so strongly considering the Night Lords series. As a newcomer I'm not too concerned with a few canonical errors here and there just looking for a good read, that's assuming I would even notice such errors in the first place!

Veteran-Sergeant

Since it hasn't been suggested yet :P I suggest Grey Knights, It is a fantastic book and the battles that rage are very well written and it reads like a movie its one of my favorite books. Also I think the Ragnar Series is very fantastic also well written and i think is a good starter book for anyone into the 41st millennium as it starts when Ragnar is just a lowly barbaric tribesmen who only knows the life of surviving the harsh climate of Fenris.
    =][= "Innocence proves Nothing."

Gaunts Ghosts, an Imperial Guard light recon unit with deep characters, interesting storyline spanning 10ish books currently. All the books are in chronological order and takes the story further at every book. The main setting is the Sabbat-worlds Crusade.

Horus Heresy- series gives never before seen and established backround to the 40k enthusiastics. Also great read for the most part. Also would recommend to start from number 1 and make your way forward from there.

My first read was Armageddon (8 years back or so), that was the book that got me into this universe for good. Not sure if there are more of the series, or if its even available anymore, but i have truly fond memories of the book. (Ofc it could be that time has golded the memory, but i highly doubt it )

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast