BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'm definitely intrigued. But want to see more before I invest. In my opinion the magic has left GW and 40k, possibly with these guys, so interested to see where it goes. Some brave concepts for sure.
    Gamer • Painter • Designer • Englishman
    http://levitas-master-artificer.blogspot.com

First-Captain

I'm in exactly the same place. It almost seems like he's wanting the kick starter before he's got more than a semi-fleshed out idea.

Banking on rep rather than solid product does not seem like a good way to start a project like this

Quote Originally Posted by scadugenga View Post
    I'm in exactly the same place. It almost seems like he's wanting the kick starter before he's got more than a semi-fleshed out idea.

Banking on rep rather than solid product does not seem like a good way to start a project like this
    In response to this, here's a post from Rik, one of the guys involved in the project

Hi everyone - just posted this on dakka, so I thought I'd post it here too

We know we're doing something a little different from the other table top guys, and hats off to them for wisely using Kickstarter in a way that's beneficial to them. Kickstarter can be utilised in many different ways, and one of the ways is to get new ideas off the ground that wouldn't normally get the chance, which is what our kickstarter is all about.

We know that not everyone will buy in or even like the idea, but we're on KS so that we can find out. We put a long time frame on our KS so that we could adapt if we needed to and of course, because we're asking for so much money. The 300k is the minimum required to create a game (from where we are) with a decent enough miniature range which is of great quality - we ran the numbers a billion times to make sure. We thought about doing it the 20k route, but that would have meant that we couldn't have legally gone onto KS and offered the whole range of rewards that we have, which would have reduced us to simply offering the book until we got there and then only offering a couple of miniatures per stretch, all of which, we thought, would completely hamper our ability to hit the 300k we actually needed to make the game. So we put the min at 300 so that if it does come off (and fingers crossed there!) we get to make the great game we have planned.

We would have loved to have more concepts and miniatures out there, but we just didn't have the money in order to pay for that. All of the people involved have worked the last 5 months without getting paid - and I'm not complaining here, I'm happy to bet my life on things I believe in - so regardless of how much time we'll applied to GoA we still wouldn't have had more things to show. So we did a deal with a very kind company who said they would lend us some money to start paying some sculptors and artists, but they wanted it launched and wanted to see how it would go first. I'm happy to say they lent us the money, so we started Kev and a number of others off in order to respond to the feedback we've been having and hopefully gather some more pace on KS. It's not much money, but if we use it wisely it's hopefully enough to cover some of the main concerns and get us funded.

We get lots of comments saying we should just put more concepts out, and we do have the option of rushing things out, but to be honest, we're not really into that. We don't think you'll respond well to us doing that anyway, so we're trying to make sure that we do it right, which unfortunately just takes a little time. We do have things in the pipe now that we hope will impress and have some great updates coming through that will show you what we've been up to and give everyone the chance to play the pre-alpha game (by the end of next week if all goes to plan!) as we know that’s a big concern to some people too.

Ultimately we're in your hands, if you decide you'd like to be part of GoA then thank you, we truly appreciate your support. If not, no worries, thanks for reading this anyway, please remember that we're just a small company right now, we're only human and we're trying our hardest to make this successful.

Rik
    The [url=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2037958218/beyond-the-gates-of-antares/posts]Kickstarter blog[/url also now has a couple of gameplay videos up on it as well as further progress on the Hansa model from Kev. I'd suggest keeping an eye on the updates as there's some great stuff coming through at the moment.

Chapter-Master

Doesnt seem to be looking too good for this KS, with 26 days to go it's only made 1 third so far. I'd really like to support this game, but I'm more a miniatures/painting kinda guy so I don't really care much about the rules-side and just want to see the models. I hope it suceeds, but im not sure at this point if it will (I'd like to be wrong!), if in the case it doesnt work out, I hope DSC have a backup plan?
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Librarian

Most of the kickstarters that I've seen have gotten half of their funding in the last three days, which really means that it needs to make around half of what it has made in the rest of the time before that ending ramp up.

However, I do think that it is a pretty ambitious kickstarter goal, and while I hope it makes it, I'm not totally sure it will. Most of the kickstarters that I've watched had much smaller goals that they made quickly, and then went on to give out huge bundles of minis.
    Last edited by odinsgrandson; 02-06-2013 at 10:12 AM.

www.GardenNinja.com

I'm not too sold on this - it seems similar to infinity, and there doesn't seem to be enough to make it special enough.

Chapter-Master

I do like the look of the models and the concept art.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Here is some new info:

I pledged to this kickstarter, but I, too, am worried it might not get funded... It does seem like a pretty big goal (~$475K) to start with.
    I don't think they'll give up on the project without a kickstarter funding base, but that's just a guess.

Chapter-Master

It's really not looking too good is it? It's got 19 days to go now and it's been hovering around the 101k for about 3 or 4 days now (I think it did reach 102k for a short while) but I've been noticing the comments sections seem to have people saying they've cancelled pledged/downgraded or entirely lost interest. It's got 3 weeks to make roughly 200k, I'm not sure that's a realistic goal. I sincerely hope Rick's got a backup plan as it might seriously need one at this point.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast