BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Blood Angels Scouts and Locator Beacons

What would be the best way to field a Locator Beacon in a Codex: Blood Angels army to arrange for deliveries of pain on Turn 1 and 2? I'm looking for something that can at least live until Turn 2 but doesn't cost too many points. My current thought is this:

Scout Bike Squadron . . . 150 points
    -5 Bikes
    -Sergeant w/ Locator Beacon, Melta Bombs
    -Cluster Mines

They have a bit of utility with the Cluster Mines and Melta Bombs, and don't eat up too much of my points, leaving enough for units to actually be delivered to the beacon. However, is there a better way to do this? Would regular on-foot Scouts do better as they can also grab objectives? Thanks in advance for any tips!
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Droppods with locators beacons are pretty amazing, lets you get closer then bikes, and anywhere on the table. Fill it with half a tactical squad, or even better sternguard with some combi meltas. If you have some points to spare, a Dreadnought is good because it gives some other threats that require anti-tank weapons, so that they don't aim them at your droppod.

Chapter-Master

Scout bikers have infiltrate and scouts. They can get very close. Combine that with a drop pods, and you can get a very large coverage of locator beacons.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Chapter-Master

Ordinary scouts with camo cloaks can infiltrate and are remarkably hard to kill, especially if they camp out in a ruin (3+ cover saves ftw!).
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

I think drop pods might be the be most cost effective way to do this. Scouts work too, but I'm not a huge fan of scouts. Of course the drop pods commit more forces than scouts, but if you are going to run something like a fragnought, then go for it.

My problem with Drop Pods is even with the Inertial Guidance rule, they never stay where they're supposed to, which is why I was going to use Scouts to set up the initial drop.

EP- if I run camo Scouts, what do I outfit them with? I could go the standard sniper rifles route, but that doesn't fit in my mind with how Flesh Tearers operate- regular Bolters and a Heavy maybe?
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DWest View Post
    EP- if I run camo Scouts, what do I outfit them with? I could go the standard sniper rifles route, but that doesn't fit in my mind with how Flesh Tearers operate- regular Bolters and a Heavy maybe?
    I'd say missile launcher or heavy bolter.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by DWest View Post
    EP- if I run camo Scouts, what do I outfit them with? I could go the standard sniper rifles route, but that doesn't fit in my mind with how Flesh Tearers operate
    BP+CCW, combi melta, go to ground turn 1, throw them into combat T2, when the rest of your forces arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenith View Post
    BP+CCW, combi melta, go to ground turn 1, throw them into combat T2, when the rest of your forces arrive.
    I like the sound of that, now I just need to find a combi-melta that's smaller than the Scout himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenith View Post
    Edit to: "BP+CCW, combi melta, go to ground turn 1, do nothing T2, show up late to the fight T3 and not really bringing anything."