BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What he said. You can put any two plastic pieces together with a sturdy enough pin. If you have to, you can take a thicker nail and use a hacksaw to cut the head off it for an ultra-heavy-duty pin. Then use a greenstuff ring to make it look as if it's coming out of a thicker shoulder, and you're set.

Brother-Sergeant

Thanks for the tips, I think I'll give it a try with a rod connecting arm to wing, and then disguise it as an exposed tendon or something with greenstuff.

Brother-Sergeant

Still planning to pin the wings up via tendons to the arm, but these wings have actually stayed up under their own power for a good 48+ hours at least. Having second thoughts about the maulerfiend tentacles that I was going to add to the underside, but for now here are some pictures of the assembled model. I plan to start now putting some paint on this bad boy and see where that takes me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HeldrakeAssembled01_zpsc6542006.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	3425

Name:	HeldrakeAssembled02_zpsb1d8c478.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	3428

Name:	HeldrakeAssembled03_zpscb6b6a74.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	3426

Name:	HeldrakeAssembled04_zpsad9172d8.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	3427

Name:	HeldrakeAssembled05_zpsf0f09bb7.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	3429
    [url=http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i285/kaika87/HeldrakeAssembled06_zps1dea0e25.jpg]Picture 6[/url]
    [url=http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i285/kaika87/HeldrakeAssembled07_zpsffee7433.jpg]Picture 7[/url]
    The gamer now known as Doctor Ham

Very nice! Although I also have to say "damnit!" because now I wish I had given my Heldrake the once-over before assembling it stock.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Librarian

I think this is how one of my Heldrakes will be made.
    "Let them come. We shall smite them down where they stand" Warsmith Vorax of the 15th Grand Battalion.

Looking good. Have you throught of doing a two head version for you next project

Daemon-Prince

...What did you do with the rest of the heldrake parts....*kinda wants them for a fun vampire counts conversion*

But looking good.
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Dyslexic Dragon View Post
    Looking good. Have you throught of doing a two head version for you next project
    Ooh, now there's a fun idea for if I end up making a second heldrake. I'll put that one in my back pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by White Tiger88 View Post
    ...What did you do with the rest of the heldrake parts....*kinda wants them for a fun vampire counts conversion*

But looking good.
    I'm sorry to say but most of the bits for this conversion were acquired third-party, and thus all the heldrake parts I own are already in this conversion. I confess, this model was at least halfway born of a desire to try and make a budget Heldrake, and if I discount the cost of the Maulerfiend bits (as I had already purchased and assembled a forgefiend), this conversion ended up costing me half the price of a kit off the shelf. I can't say it's a viable strategy for mass-production, however, as heldrake parts aren't easy to come by, particularly the main torso.

Now, without further ado, a post-holiday update: Basecoating! You know, I had this idea in my head when figuring out base colors, that the fleshy parts would be a pale, sickly color and the wings would be a sort of icy blue. Granted, the blue here is far more deep than my final intent, but it stands that I'm no longer sure this is the way to go. Still want to do pale flesh for anything that could be considered fleshy, and the armor is Word Bearers, following along with the fact that it is a Word Bearers army this monstrosity goes to. Thinking now for the wings, however, that perhaps a light purple or pink tone would work better. Not sure on that, however, and open to suggestions.

Name:	HeldrakeBasecoat01_zps369f1109.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	3431

Name:	HeldrakeBasecoat02_zpsed4e5bd0.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	3432

Name:	HeldrakeBasecoat03_zpsb3b201c3.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	3433

Name:	HeldrakeBasecoat04_zps8cbf3eb4.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	3434

Librarian

Looking good.
    "Let them come. We shall smite them down where they stand" Warsmith Vorax of the 15th Grand Battalion.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzybubela View Post
    Looking good.
    So should I take that to mean the blue on the wings does work and I should pursue that shade? I'm honestly stuck here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast