BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Advice/Thoughts on Blood angels armyList

Hi all i need some help on my blood angels list. But first a bit of background about me and my favourite marines in red.

I have been collecting blood angels almost from the beginning of my time in the hobby some 16 years ago........woah, didn;t realise it was that long. Anyways i used to run a rhino rush army with death company and tactical marines that back in 3rd edition was almost unbeaten. 4th edition stopped the rhino rush days and then we had the lovely white dwarf codex......Like any hardcore blood angel fan, i stuck with my faithful army and even completely reorganised it to be assault marine heavy with mephiston (my favourite of the bunch). Then we got the new codex. Mephiston became a beast but i have always used him so didn't feel too bad about using him. Anyways one of my biggest problems is being able to finish a fully completely painted army before rules or new codexs come around (it takes me an age to paint) So i was happy with my army under 5th edition but am finding that it has been bouncing lately under 6th edition rules, mainly due to power weapon changes.

Here is a list of what i have:

- Mephiston
    - the sanguinor
    - lemartes
    - tycho
    - brother corbulo
    - dante

- 10 assalut marines with jumpacks
    - 10 assalut marines without jumpacks
    - 6 death company with jumpacks
    - furioso dread
    - honour guard
    - 2 baal predators
    - rhino
    - las plas razorback
    - land raider redeemer

So i am thinking of making a few editions, namely a sternguard squad, and was wondering what you guys might think of the following list:

HQ

Tycho

Librarian , infernus pistol

TROOPS

10 assault marines , melta, flamer
    8 Assault marines, melta
    Mounted in a Land raider redeemer

Lemartes
    5 Death company, 3 power weapons, 5 jump packs

ELITES

Brother Corbulo

10 Sternguard , 10 combi meltas (maybe a couple of plasma?)
    Mounted in a Rhino

Chaplain

FAST ATTACK

Baal Predator

1999 pts

I Prefer to play casually, but recently have been tabled time and time again and well its nice to win occasionally so i'm just looking for a little more balance and im hoping the list above is it.

Chapter-Master

I would move things around. I am not sure why you are taking 8 assault marines in a redeemer, when the redeemer has room for 12 models. I know you are thinking: Librarian, Chaplain, Tycho, and Corbulo. However, I am quite sure that won't hit as hard as you want it to. If you are going to go with that kind of power, it is best to make 100% sure that whatever that unit touches, dies. Terminators, kitted out vanguard vets, or kitted out death company is the way to go with that type of unit.

I would put the Sternguard in the Redeemer. Combat squad them (you can have the two squads in the Land Raider together). Attach Tycho and Corbulo. Yes it is an expensive unit, and fire magnet, but that's exactly what it should be. Draw fire away from our assault marines and Death Company.

You are very heavy on the characters (5!), which can be fine, however, in this instance, the choice of characters are on the 'weaker' side. Usually, I would have a powerful character, then some force multipliers. What you have here is just a series of force multipliers. They sound good, but, I think you won't kill fast enough to make them worth while. I would ditch the chaplain, and squeeze the librarian (drop the infernus pistol). Try to get a Death Company Dreadnought in there, and run it with the Land Raider.

Personal preference to Bloodfists or Blood Talons. The Death Co. Dread is Str 7 on the charge with 6 with the talons attacks, which would be good for ripping apart units that would completely tie up the Sternguard. Although, 6 str 10 AP2 attacks is great, too. The Death Co. Dread is a good addition, because it has fleet. This means that you can hide it behind the land raider, and on the turn you need to charge, move the land raider out of the way, move up 6", and then Fleet 2D6" in the assault. That's a very good chance of making it into assault, even at a far distance (due to re-rolls). If the unit you are charging has dangerous firepower (like meltas or plasma), you could always pop smoke, giving yourself a 4+ cover save while charging (and a 4+ save in the subsequent shooting phase, because you should kill what you charge)!

What are the power weapons for the Death Company? I think one axe and 2 spears might be good. Str 6 on the charge is nice, especially with 5 attacks each re-rolling to hit and wound. That'll kill everything but terminators, essentially (and you might do enough wounds to kill terminators, too).

Try to get that assault squad up to full size in that rhino. If you can, give them 2 special weapons and a power weapon for the sgt. The rhino squad is probably home objective holding, so weapons appropriate for that would be wise. I would give the jump pack squad 2 flamers and a power weapon (mace or spear would be good).

Keep the Baal. Those are tons of fun. Does it have Heavy Bolter Sponsons? I recommend it!
    Last edited by Tynskel; 12-30-2012 at 01:12 PM.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Chapter-Master

HQ 275
    175 Tycho
    100 Codicer
    –Librarian, Unleashed Rage, Shackle Soul

ELITES 635
    290 Sternguard Veterans
    –10 Sternguard, 8 Combi-Meltas
    240 Dedicated Transport
    –Land Raider Redeemer
    105 Sanguinary Priesthood
    –Corbulo

TROOPS 945
    215 Assault Squad
    –10 Marines, 2 Flamers, Sgt. w/Power Maul
    185 Tactical Squad
    –10 Marines, Flamer, Missile Launcher, Power Axe
    50 Dedicated Transport
    –Rhino
    370 Death Company
    –5 Death Company, 1 Bolt Pistol and Power Axe, 2 Bolt Pistol and Power Lance, 2 Bolters, Lemartes, Jump Packs
    125 Death Company Dreadnought
    –Blood Talons

FAST ATTACK 145
    145 Baal Predator
    –Hv Bolter Sponsons

If you don't want the Tactical squad, for 5 points less, you can take a 10 man assault squad with 2 flamers and power axe with rhino. You could use those 5 points to change the rhino to a razorback. Either Twin-Linked Heavy Flamers or Twin-Linked Heavy Bolters.

The Librarian + Tactical (or assault squad) will be your defensive unit. Everything else, ATTACK!

I like corbulo... I like him a lot, and he would fit in a list like this pretty well. However, if you were to drop him, and take 2 sanguinary priests, you could keep the tactical squad, upgrade the rhino to a razorback, and now have a sanguinary priest in the land raider, and a priest with your backline.
    Last edited by Tynskel; 12-30-2012 at 02:49 PM.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Veteran-Sergeant

Tynskel's list is a vast improvement.

I would trade out Corbulo for the 2 Sanguinary Priests with this list, as it's twice the FNP fun!!! I would also consider dropping the DC Dread and trying to squeeze 4 more DC into Lemartes' unit. You could also consider trading up Tycho and the Librarian for Mephiston. He is just better and you said he's your favorite model to boot!

ere is a list of what i have:

Librarian (mephy)

Sanguinary priest w/power weapon (goes with 10 ASM in land raider)

honour guard + razorback DT

Dread.

10 ASM with JP, pfist + 2 meltas
    10 ASM w/no JP, pfist+2 meltas, land raider redeemer as dedicated transport

6DC w/JP + lemartes

2 Baal Preds - don't take sponsons as you'll want to be blitzing along to get in range with the assaultcannons/flamers

That way everything is mobile except the dread - which you could give a pod. The actual upgrades will make the costs vary. If you wanted to be hyper cheeky - take dante and put him with the ASM squad so they can precision deep strike.

Occuli Imperator

Don't forget that the Baals are fast tanks so can move and fire quicker, also the scout/outflank so range issues shouldn't be too bad.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Hey guys, sorry for the late response to all of you work has been hectic of the last week or so.

Right. Where to start.....

Tynskel, your right i was think 8 assault marine tycho librarian corbulo and a chaplain in the redeemer. I've play tested it and it does hit hard, but i agree that it does lack something, and that's mainly that the assault marines act as more of a wound blanket to the characters.

I also took the assault marines to get the discount on the landraider, but with your suggested change i would get a free rhino instead which is fine

5 characters i agree is too much. The chaplain was more for my (poor rolling ability) but im thinking maybe i should just drop him all together. I used to run the sanguinor or mephiston but thats why i have changed. I have found that due to the ap3 factor what i used to use these guys for has now changed and i have nothing to fill their roll if you will so although i find them really effective for tying up units or hacking through base troops, terminators and the like are causing me hell. so i figured weight of attacks and shots might be a good change.

I do have furioso dread i could use as a death company one. i shall give that one a go.

Unfortunetly when it comes to equipment my changes are a bit limited as i have mainly converted up and painted a lot of stuff. The assault troops both run one flamer one melta. And the baal predator has flame sponsons but the main weapon is changeable. I can however change the death company power weapons as several arms have fallen off before being painted.

I would trade in corbulo but i have found him more effective than two priests so i shall stick with him for now.

Would like to thank everyone for the advice and suggestions etc. I shall change things up a bit and let you know how it goes.