BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Best Terrain for your Army

With 6th Edition has come the turn-by-turn terrain system, and with it, the opportunity to lay the terrain to your advantage. I know not everyone uses this system - personally, I prefer it - but I'm sure some of us do. However, given that most of us are good sports and have spent most of our gaming careers setting up "fair" boards, I bet a lot of us don't know how to set up a table to our advantage.

Well, that's got to change.

Let's have a thread about what kind of board set up one should pursue depending on the kind of army. One thing to talk about is faction, of course, but we should also talk about units within each faction. Let's have spirited debate and try to build up to a solid tactica!
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

I have never played with the terrain setup rules, so this is all speculation.

Playing my Nids I would go for at large ruin at the center of the board. I try to dominate midfield with Tervigons spawning termagants at least in objective based missions. Have decent cover for the Tervigons makes this easier.

Playing my eldar I would go for large terrain elements on the outskirts of the board because I often play them evasive, trying to circle my opponent while bringing down his numbers from shooting. The terrain pieces would provide cover in the process.

Occuli Imperator

If you wish for a cheese combo, have a tall tower with a roof and chuck in a heavy squad.

The tall tower means that you have great line of sight and makes it harder for you to be assaulted.
    The roof is important as it stops those pesky barrage weapons dropping on your head

Then with your heavy squad devastators/long fangs, heavy weapon squads etc. you have brilliant range and fields of view.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Same, high buildings with multiple floors to set up Dark Reapers or Pathfinders...

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPaladin View Post
    With 6th Edition has come the turn-by-turn terrain system, and with it, the opportunity to lay the terrain to your advantage.
    Note that this is the secondary method of deploying terrain.

The primary method, and the one that should dominantly be used is the narrative method, as outlined in the BRB.

Obvious examples are putting LOS blocking terrain in the middle if you are an assaulty army, and at the edges if you are a shooty army.

I dont think it gets much more complex than that.

Brother-Sergeant

As Tyranids, you have infinitely available 5+ cover available from Venomthropes, so long as they survive. The most important terrain you can have, therefore, is midrange LOS blocking walls/structures to hide Vs behind, and 4+ ruins to provide BETTER than that protection for your monstrous creatures and genestealers. Woods are superfluous, and should be on the edges, where you don't already have overlap from V coverage.

Buildings are fine, since you can hide units in them, but ok if enemies hide in them as well because your own monstrous creatures pulp buildings quickly and easily (doing about as much damage as if attacking the foe in the open in the process). If you do make your own buildings, have some with large roll up doors so you can hide MCs inside when they need to hold out longer.

See? Plenty of options more than "center good, edge bad".

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by rtmaitreya View Post
    As Tyranids, you have infinitely available 5+ cover available from Venomthropes, so long as they survive. The most important terrain you can have, therefore, is midrange LOS blocking walls/structures to hide Vs behind, and 4+ ruins to provide BETTER than that protection for your monstrous creatures and genestealers. Woods are superfluous, and should be on the edges, where you don't already have overlap from V coverage.

Buildings are fine, since you can hide units in them, but ok if enemies hide in them as well because your own monstrous creatures pulp buildings quickly and easily (doing about as much damage as if attacking the foe in the open in the process). If you do make your own buildings, have some with large roll up doors so you can hide MCs inside when they need to hold out longer.

See? Plenty of options more than "center good, edge bad".
    Agree with this. Also to note; bubble-wrap a Tervigon with Termagants, give the Tervigon a mobile 5+ cover save. The same (hilariously) applies to the Trygon as well, given how much of its tail is on the bottom of the base.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Being as I mostly play guard, most people would expect me to take tons of buildings to hide in, but since I prefer a mechanized list I actually prefer more open terrain. Sure buildings are nice but I would only put ratlings in it. I also use a few fliers which really eliminates how the terrain is set up for me as I just zoom stuff in then hover for a turn to drop them off and fly off again, all the while laying waste to any and all tanks/artillery they have fielded.

If i had so say what i would prefer for terrain, some hills to provide tanks higher LoS, and to be sure that the objectives get stuck in buildings for my veterans to get the extra cover save from.

Chapter-Master

I don't think termagants will always grant the Tervigon cover... If you can clearly see the target by shooting over the termagants, the termagants don't grant cover.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Chapter-Master

Obviously high up targets such as flyers would ignore the Termagants for the purposes of obscuring the Tervigon, but ground units - particularly infantry - won't.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast