BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Thoughts on some interesting Guardsmen units

So I was perusing around the interwebs when I came across some interesting PDF files about some rather different guardsman units.

Stormtrooper Strike force
    [URL]http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2620180_Imperial_Guard_Datasheet_-_Storm_Trooper_Strike_Force.pdf[/URL]

They have some interesting rules, one allowing them to Shoot Run and Shoot again after disembarking. On the downside, they have a special objective they have to claim, and its an extra 150 points (if I am wrong here please correct me). Another bad thing about it is that you need to hover for a turn to get any sort of decent chance of them not getting killed by grav insertion. They do however have a fair chance of killing an entire squad of spacemarines (per stormtrooper squad) in the turn they disembark. Not to mention, the valkyries firing on any infantry squads as well.

Officio Assassinorum Execution Force
    [URL]http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1180095_Imperial_Guard_Datasheet_-_Officio_Assassinorum_Execution_Force.pdf[/URL]

This one I found under a list for Imperial guard but it seems more like its for GK (I really want this though :_( ). Anyway, for the most part I think the Vindicators would be the best (hell of a lot better then ratlings) plus if you target the right squads you could potentially pin down a significant portion of your opponents army in one turn.

I wanted some peoples opinions on these since 6E allows us to take apocalypse stuff in normal games (and the guys I play with usually pop odd apoc stuff on me all the time so I would really like to return the favor).

I don't recall that you can take Apocalypse stuff in normal games. I know that you can take Forgeworld units designated as "Warhammer 40K" in normal 6E games. Maybe I missed it.

Iceman has it right.

Brother-Sergeant

That formation works out at over 1000 points too. Wouldn't be room for much else!

I'd let you play against me with it, but I agree with iceman: formations not allowed as per the rules. I really like the combined arms ones though. I think they're cool, and ultimately you can have the three valks and three stormie squads in the codex list if your opponent doesn't like it

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Bindoff View Post
    That formation works out at over 1000 points too. Wouldn't be room for much else!

I'd let you play against me with it, but I agree with iceman: formations not allowed as per the rules. I really like the combined arms ones though. I think they're cool, and ultimately you can have the three valks and three stormie squads in the codex list if your opponent doesn't like it
    If Formations are not allowed can someone put a book and page number for me? I have one particular player at my LGS who loves to play just about anything except standard codex. I would love to have him suddenly be forced to play standard codex army without extra Apocalypse rules.

And the only good thing about the formation over codex is the two shootings after deploying from the valkyries.

Brother-Sergeant

I think the apocalypse rulebooksays that they're for apocalypse in the intro blurb before the data sheets. Also they're called apocalypse datasheets for a reason. Can't remember seeing it in the BRB, but then neither are planet strike rules or city fight ones. They're just part of that expansion, not the core game.

If you don't want to play one of the expansions you don't have to. Apocalypse datasheets are designed for what is a very different game. You wouldn't allow a Titan in a regular game (presumably) so don't let someone use apocalypse stuff if you haven't got something to counter it. Or just stand hunched with a few toilet roll tubes in your left hand and a plastic bowl in your right, climb on the table and pretend to be an imperator Titan. That'll teach him about the unfairness of apocalypse stuff vs normal lists.

Quote Originally Posted by walrusman999 View Post
    If Formations are not allowed can someone put a book and page number for me?
    Main rulebook, pages 108 to 110, "Choosing Your Army": I don't see anything about Formations in there, do you?