7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Big Rule Book major league Bible

5 71.43%
  • Mini Rule Book minor league Reference Book

2 28.57%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Chaplain

Please note i have in my posetion both copys of the 6th edition rulebook

Reasons for having the BIG and as it is been referd to in this thread the full rule book

you dont have to buy the starter set
    it contains the rules for 40K
    it has a lot of fluffy things in it and pretty pics <main reason i got it
    some info about expanding from 40k into campaigns using 40k rules
    you could kill someone with it
    and a few other little tid bits

Reasons for having the A5 rule book
    its small and can take it to events without breaking your back < reason i have it
    it comes with the DV set of models that are rather pritty
    IT CONTAINS THE RULES

now theres one thing that both have in comon they both contain the rules for 40k

now to try and put it into a baseball termanoligy when 1 its an english game and 2 no one outside america other than english girls has n
    any idea about baseball is very annoying but i will try to explain it how you would understand...

THIS GAME ISNT BASEBALL! STOP TRYING TO EXPLAIN IT AS BASEBALL! <and i actualy held down shift for that rather than caps lock

Quote Originally Posted by dannyat2460 View Post
    Please note i have in my posetion both copys of the 6th edition rulebook

Reasons for having the BIG and as it is been referd to in this thread the full rule book

you dont have to buy the starter set
    it contains the rules for 40K
    it has a lot of fluffy things in it and pretty pics <main reason i got it
    some info about expanding from 40k into campaigns using 40k rules
    you could kill someone with it
    and a few other little tid bits

Reasons for having the A5 rule book
    its small and can take it to events without breaking your back < reason i have it
    it comes with the DV set of models that are rather pritty
    IT CONTAINS THE RULES

now theres one thing that both have in comon they both contain the rules for 40k
    "The laws of the game" set ALL the rules for football in england, (just like the BRB in WH40K) so if you are kicking around a ball with some mates, you are not playing association football, you are playing something completely different.

(you are correct, the both contain the physical rules mechanics)

Law 7-17 cover "just" the physical rules for football, but there are more Laws/rules for real games

LIKE;

Law 4: The Players' Equipment (just like painted and assembled models)

Paging TDA; please bring the Master-crafted Banhammer with you.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Librarian

i dont know what book you are reading if you think the 'hobby' section contains rules, other than suggested campaigns.

it is simply an advert for the companies pretty things (its real product, GW is a miniatures company, not a game maker).
    nothing more.

next you will be saying the only marines you can play as are the ones that are shown painted or have a special character in the codex space marines, despite the fact it promotes you to create your own.

oh and do your marines have the correct insignia for company, campaign, squad, individual squad leaders and sub leaders including back banners and honours? like it is shown in codex space marines?
    let me guess you have a full company of ultras with the exact marks and markings shown in the spread in codex space marines?

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Codpiece View Post
    i dont know what book you are reading if you think the 'hobby' section contains rules, other than suggested campaigns.
    the Main RB (BRB)

again, the game of 40K has more to it than just physical rules, unless you are playing DV and using the DV miniRB, which just contains physical rules

see the soccer example above

Please, one post that shows the DV miniRB telling a player what to do after DV, when they choose to grow an army and play real WH40K?

Where is it?

All that information is in the BRB and covered in the various chapters, because ALL of the BRB is WH40K in its entirety, not just the physical rules chapter.

Librarian

you assume, people need their hands held at every step of the way.

DV is indeed a starter game box, however the rules are exactly the same, i just double checked the FAQ and the mini book, the page numbers are indeed the same in both instances, so please do enlighten us on how GW do not support the mini book with FAQ and errata, showing prefrence to the large book?
    like i said the sheets in DV DO NOT USE THE RULE BOOK! the rules you need are on the sheets.
    the book is provided as the real game requires it, however the DV set as with all past big box core games provides you with a starting point for two armies.
    the miniRB has no mention of the DV set at all by the way, only the included beginner sheets mention the basic beginner set.

if the big book and its 'chapters' is 40k in its entirety as you put it, then why do we need models, dice, rulers, terrain, objective markers and templates. surely by your logic the big book is the hobby, rather than the hobby being the hobby.
    in my eyes the rules are the rules. the hobby is the rules, the gaming, the modelling, the painting and the collecting.

i have myself witnessed first time players, both this edition and previous in the GW stores i live near (newcastle and metro centre), play the gaming by numbers starter set (yay a 4+ does everything) then ask "so what else can i play as?" then spend the next hour or so talking with staff and customers soaking in the opinions and the lore/fluff to decide what they like in their soon to be army.
    they did not need the hobby section of the big book to tell them what to do, they asked and looked at the minis on display, then set off on their path to damnation in the addiction of plastic crack
    Last edited by Cpt Codpiece; 12-31-2012 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RexScarlet View Post
    Please, one post that shows the DV miniRB telling a player what to do after DV, when they choose to grow an army and play real WH40K?

Where is it?
    Pages V and 108 tell you that you will need a Codex. Pages 44 to 49 and 78 to 87 detail several unit types not found in the box set (to say nothing of the Fortifications on pages 114 to 117), and pages 134 to 140 list relevant stats. All kinds of special rules that don't appear on the box set's models are listed on pages 33 to 43).

Oh, and there are pictures of other armies' models everywhere. They're in the rulebook, so they must be rules, right?
    Last edited by Houghten; 12-31-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Begone, random line break from nowhere!

Tried sooooooooo hard to stay out of this, but the ridicularity (yes, its not a real word) of it all screams to be silenced....or not.

Rex, yes the brb has more miscellaneous info for the hobby as a whole. No one will disagree with you that its bigger. Do you need to use it as a supreme reference guide over everything else (mrb) to play A game of 40k? No. Can you use it for what some may consider a more fulfilling game? for some, yes. What I mean to say is this argument seems very narrow viewed. It sounds like you're trying to make everyone play the game like how YOU like to play it. As mentioned before, there's 40,001 ways to play 40k. From UNpainted minis playing in a narrative campaign in a garage, to a national GT surrounded by exquisitely crafted and painted armies, to proxying the hell out of everything using quarters, cans, and books. There's no one absolute way to play. I believe that's even quoted somewhere in the BRB, lol. BUT, both said RB's contain the info needed to start rolling some dice. My SoB's still hit on a 3+ regardless of if they're painted or not. ( yes, they are fully painted )

Having said that, if the BRB works for you that's totally cool. Just don't rain on the people who do use the MRB
    Last edited by dvs1; 12-31-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Chapter-Master

I didn't realize that there were 40k players so sheeplike they needed the hobby section of the BRB to tell them how to play. Heck, I didn't even know anyone actually read it. It's not like it doesn't have pretty much exactly the same stuff as the last two or three editions of rulebook. Seriously, even half the artwork is recycled.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by dvs1 View Post
    What I mean to say is this argument seems very narrow viewed. It sounds like you're trying to make everyone play the game like how YOU like to play it.

Again disclaimer I have said over and over;

Note*; How players choose to play; pew-pew, Tournament, RAW, RAI, paint, no-paint, GW, non-GW, and etc. is entirely up to them.

Example; you choose to play Ard Boyz style games, you are not really playing WH40K, you are playing a lesser level (like DV) THIS IS NOT A BAD THING

The/a Main Rulebook is “the law of the game” in any game and (as in English Football), the whole book, not just the physical rules chapter, and then the above “how a players choose to play” applies.

This creates “levels of play” the/a difference between a few people kicking around a ball in the yard (DV, unpainted, proxy, etc.) verses playing association football (WH40K in its entirety).

Facts; I have stated many facts throughout this post, that BRB is the Main RB (the DV miniRB is not) and that a RB in its entirety is the rules, not just the physical rules sections (Football: Law 4; players’ equipment).

The problem people are having is that they are confusing a book that was released with a starter set as being the same as a Main Rule Book, they are not the same (Hobbit especially, and WHFB8e either).

The DV miniRB comes with a beginning starter set, therefore it is not the same book, thus NOT the same game (or level of game), but this does not mean the DV miniRB cannot be used to reference physical rules while playing ANY level of game. (Just as a Football Referee may have a pocket sized rulebook while on the field)

As some have stated, there are vague hints and some references in the DV miniRB that a player can “go bigger” but in the DV miniRB there are no chapters as to how, but the how is covered extensively in the BRB chapters.

I have learned a lot during this post, pro and con, but the facts remain. (see first post)

Like it or not; painting and modeling are part of the rules of WH40K, but not part of the rules for DV.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast