BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Anyone have particular paints they hat to work with?

More importantly, I like gold, but the burnished gold/shining gold colors seem never to work well--they glom onto places, or they are too thin in others. Often both. I find myself often going over the same area several times before the color begins to look right.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried putting down a basecoat with a non-metallic color first? Depending on how I want the gold to be, yellows or light browns quite often work nice for a basecoat before getting to gold, especially if you don't want to smear thick layers on it and obscure details. And since GW now has their paintrange renewed, they even have a few good metallic basecoats.

But in times before foundation/base, I always thought that the normal GW paints, especially metallic ones and some of the bright ones were a pain to work with... but that could also have to do with me being a way more inexperienced painter back then.

Fair enough. I use primer, then a base coat of sunburst yellow and then the golds in order to really make them pop. Is still an utter pain though. Any advice on counter-acting that?