BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

One point, I believe that the dread cannot pivot "freely"

You can always choose your facing in the movement phase.

But in the shooting phase I'm pretty sure the rules is that walkers have about a 180 degree arch of fire, but they cannot pivot (I think, no rule book in front of me).

Then in the assault phase they have the same rules as infantry which treats the movement the "same as moving in the movement phase" so they can pivot again if they want.
    Last edited by MarshalAdamar; 10-20-2009 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Clarity

Quote Originally Posted by MarshalAdamar View Post
    in the shooting phase I'm pretty sure the rules is that walkers have about a 180 degree arch of fire, but they cannot pivot (I think, no rule book in front of me).
    They have a 45-degree arc of fire, but they can pivot before shooting (not after). See page 72:

When firing a walker's weapons, pivot the walker on the spot so that its guns are aimed at the target (assume that all weapons mounted on a walker can swivel 45 degrees, like hull-mounted weapons) and then measure the range from the mounting point of the weapon and along its barrel, as normal for vehicles. This pivoting in the Shooting phase does not count as moving and represents the vastly superior agility of walkers in comparison with other vehicles. Keep in mind however that the walker will probably remain facing in this direction until its next Movement phase, so its facing will determine where its rear armour is going to be when the enemy returns fire!

1. hmm, I think the rules are quite clear here and like someone else mentioned in this thread, unless the 2 targets are placed in a manner where the single model can actually charge both using the shortest route, he won't be able to charge both. Here's why:

As a first, lets settle the argument around charging direction. The rule is very specific, you MUST use the SHORTEST route possible. Unless you have something in your way, it will be the closest route from your base to the target's base or hull in a straight line. So this one is easy, it's not even a question of pivoting, moving backwards ect The only way you can charge a second unit in this case is if the second unit happens to clip the path of your shortest route once in BtB and you can still be in cc with both without deviating from this route. Simple enough. I don't know what is unclear about the rules.

Lets say you have the following where Z is the charging mocel and X are dreadnoughts:

Z
    X X

At this angel, Z will never be aloud to assault the 2nd dreadnought even if it is within distance of the assault roll because the shortest route does NOT clip the second dreadnought.

Same goes for a troop, you have to max the number on the primary target in BtB before going to the 2nd target unless the model can touch at the same time the primary target and the secondary target. Move your first model, same rules as above, then move what ever is able to get in BtB with the primary target before even thinking to going to the secondary. The primary target and closest route is the key here.

Assaulting multiple units in 6th is often not possible unless the enemy is placed a certain way and if you have more models then BtB with the primary target will allow.

2. You're in cc, you have to face your opponent when you are the assaulter. But I can understand that the rules doesn't exactly say this.

Brother-Captain

I guess it depends on how seriously you take the line 'the walker turns to face its enemy and charges into melee' on p. 84. I don't have a real issue with it, the waist joint on a SM dread allows 360 moves so it doesn't hurt my sense of right vs. wrong.

Veteran-Sergeant

Oh fantastic, so I can puppet master a dreadnought, have it shoot something behind and as a bonus make it exposes rear armour! This I like.

Chapter-Master

Threadomancy much?
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Brother-Captain

Great, now I'm going to have to check posting dates on these rules queries >.<

When an Iron clad is ripping chunks out a land raider is he doing it with his fists or exhaust? If his ranged weapons only have a 45 deg field of fire why not his fists as well? It seems differnet to me when actually locked in combat as it is very dynamic but when trying to destroy a tank it should have to face it. Well within 45 degs anyway! I have read and re-read the rules so I'm aware what they say and I agree they don't seem to say you can't turn your dread around after it has charged but they dont say you can either. And whats the first rule? Somthing like don't be a tool and interpret the rules to make the game better.

I would not play a secound game with someone who pulled this trick.

With regards the multiple charge as long as you can get in to BtB with both units while still travling the shortest route to you primary target I dont really see a problem.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123