BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyranid Rumours

Chapter-Master

Default Tyranid Rumours

I thought I may as well start up the rumour-mill thread, that way we can consolidate all the rumours in one spot and not have to search everywhere for info. Given the time-frame in which codices are redone, it doesn't come as a surprise that Tyranids may be coming up in the next year or so.

Via Naftka over on Faeit 212, there are some juicy Tyranid rumours popping up, with the mention of the potential codex author sure to raise some eye-brows. Take these rumours with a big grain of salt though.

[url]http://natfka.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/tyranids-synapse-changes-new-units-and.html[/url]

via the Faeit 212 inbox (no permission given to give a name)
    Q4 2013 40k goes to Eldar supposedly, so will be early/late Q4 2013/Q1 2014. May be Q3 2013. Not entirely sure. There will be a codex release and there may be a WD/model release earlier. That would push the codex back though.

Kit released for harpy that will make a second FMC - current playtest name hydra. Harpy will remain anti-infantry, hydra to be anti flyer/vehicle.
    Synapse will go back to giving eternal warrior - and instinctive behavior will be radically changed.
    For other new kits - nothing major. Prime plastic kit, shrike upgrade pack, and lastly, a new MC that is built off of infiltrating and will have a snacking rule similar to the fantasy ghorgon.

next two Rumors should be taken with even more salt then normal - there will be multiple large plastic kit that is a multiple option kit that can make warriors/zoanthropes/lictors, one that can make venomthropes/raveners, and one that will make biovores/pyrovores and one for tyrant guard/hive guard. The finecast models are getting changed up a bit - will move to plastic. Also, some of these kits may be condensed into one box. Secondly - Ward is writing the dex. Extra salt here folks - extra salt.

Once again, keep in mind this is a long ways off and these are playtest rules.
    Sounds very interesting. I think everyone agrees that a return to Synapse granting Eternal Warrior would be a more than welcome change, as it would help solve a lot of issues people have with taking units such as Tyranid Warriors and Harpies. Obviously, it would require some re-balancing though. Hopefully this proves to be the case and isn't just wish-listing.

The Harpy kit sounds great, though I seem to recall the rumoured mid-year flyer wave including a kit for Tyranids - possibly the Harpy. I think it would be great, especially with an anti-vehicle flying monstrous creature counterpart.
    I wonder what the possible changes to Instinctive Behaviour would be.
    Shrike upgrade packs! An infiltrating monstrous creature that eats people? Like some kind of giant lictor?

Matt Ward writing the codex......well at least we definitely wouldn't get an under-powered codex, and given his track-record, it should have good internal balance. That is the main thing though. The codex needs good internal balance - not units which are obviously better or worse than others (Tervigons, Pyrovores, Hive Guard, etc).

All with a grain of salt obviously, but interesting nonetheless. Maybe I picked a bad time to start them Haha.
    Last edited by Learn2Eel; 01-05-2013 at 06:08 PM.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Veteran-Sergeant

I honestly dont think Eternal Warrior with Synapse is really needed. What is actually needed is for units to be created properly with appropriate points costs. It isnt the loss of Eternal Warrior that makes me not want to use a Tyranid Warriors...its the fact that one with Bonesword, lashwhip and toxin sacs is FIFTY POINTS makes me not want to use them (plus their stats are garbage lol). I would MUCH rather have well written units with decent points costs then just blanket Eternal Warrior any day of the week.

Also, I would love to have Synapse be a fun an interesting rule instead of the generic garbage it is now. I really loved how in 4th ed your little gribblies would fall back to the closest Synapse Creature instead of your board edge. It was a super cool mechanic and made you want to take it and best of all it really made sense and fit the army.

I just hope when the DO redo the codex they actually get it right. The 5th ed Codex couldn't have been further from what, as a Tyranid player, I would have wanted. I makes me so mad that you ONLY see Tyrgons, Tervigons, Hive Guard, Termagants (only for Tervigons) and maybe Flyrants anymore. There are 32 units total in that book...only 5 get played, and only 2 of those existed before 2010. THAT is a mark of a horrendous codex. Also, everything moving to plastic would be AMAZING lol.

Chapter-Master

Oh I definitely agree, it really is a sign of bad codex writing when it is obvious to anyone that the internal balance is way off. Most of our stuff if over-costed, though Eternal Warrior would still be good. Nothing sucks more than having an awesome Tyranid Warrior brood wiped out by a single Battle Cannon. This is why I think Ward would be great for the codex - as much as people don't like him, he rarely gets his internal balance wrong. And I think after how bad the current codex has been received, plus the distinct lack of allies, we won't be getting another 'under-powered' codex. To be honest, the lack of Allies makes me think we may be getting some stuff to compensate - i.e. having an expanded Force Organization chart even below 2000 points.

That would be a good change, though I think Instinctive Behaviour is ok as it is - emphasis on 'ok' and not 'good'.

Yep, it really is kind of sad. Mind you though, Zoanthropes, the Doom of Malan'tai, Deathleaper, Gargoyles, Raveners, Dakkafexes, Biovores and Hormagaunts still see quite a bit of use, as does the Swarmlord.

I shouldn't have to feel bad if I field Lictors or Pyrovores, who both have pretty wicked models.
    Last edited by Learn2Eel; 01-05-2013 at 06:31 PM.
    Check out my blog!

Chapter-Master

Just to add, an anonymous person in the comments section said that they can "guarantee" a Tyranid release of some kind this year, most likely a model wave (probably the Harpy) - maybe even a WD mini update ala Daemons.

For reference, the anonymous poster (the one that supplied the rumours in the article as well) continually implies they are a GW employee of some sort.
    Last edited by Learn2Eel; 01-05-2013 at 06:30 PM.
    Check out my blog!

Chapter-Master

I wish they'd just lower the points cost on gaunts and make them the massive swarm army they should be.

www.queencityguard.com

Chapter-Master

I would make Termagants 4 points a model with BS4 and a free weapon upgrade (along the lines of a flamer template or small blast weapon perhaps?) for every 10 or so in a brood. Devourers though should still make them like 8 point models. Change the other guns to make them more viable.

As for Hormagaunts, make them 5 points a model and WS4. Make upgrades like Adrenal Glands and Toxins Sacs 1 point each, not 2 each. I would also give them some kind of grenades in their basic equipment, conditional upon...perhaps they have assault grenades that apply only if the unit they are charging has less models than they do ? I.e. the Hormagaunts overwhelm the defenders before they strike back?

And I don't think those would necessarily be bad changes. Horde armies need some loving.
    An idea I've seen mentioned a few times is a Hormagaunt-spawning Tervigon. It would have to be an upgrade/more expensive though, as Hormagaunts would work much better than Termagants in that role.
    Last edited by Learn2Eel; 01-05-2013 at 07:20 PM.
    Check out my blog!

Chapter-Master

not sure why it would give eternal warrior personally, if it is the hive mind driving them on regardless of wounds I would have thought feel no pain would be more logical. obviously you don't want that army wide either, merely saying it would be more believable as an effect. Like Ghoulio I would rather see some sort of alternative in place personally. Not used nids since I sold my army in fourth edition, always been tempted to start again though, just love those big plastic monster kits. was always a massive carnifex fan and just hant three of those lovely kits, only had the second edition screamer killers when I played them.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

I don't think much of making them all eternal warriors either... I wish they would take a good look at the 2nd ed stat lines and think about changing alot of them back.

Hormagants used to be WS4 with BS0 they now have WS3 and BS3 lame on a model that has no ranged attack and in the fluff is supposed to be very powerful in CC. They also lost 1S and gained SV6+ and +1 I.

Genestealers used to have 4 attacks and S6.. now S4 and 2 Attacks... I would like to see them get at least 3 attacks and S5. All other armies can get an extra attack from having two CC weapons.

Carnifexes took the worst hits though... WS6 BS4 I6 (terminator armor) ect now WS3 BS3 I1 and SV3... I would like to see them at least have those starts comparable to a dreadnought. I1 is very sad...

Tyranids used to be combat masters... all of them even the more shooty ones. Zonathropes had Force weapon claws... for example.

Termagants were WS4 BS3...

Warriors Had better WS and BS and were T5 W2 instead of T4 W3... if they regained those stats no need for eternal warrior to make them more viable.

Some of the weapons were nerfed too harshly over the years Deathspitters were S6 and had 32 inch range (complicated rules hitting models within 2 inches).. range hurt the worst. Likely they did 3 shots for faster play but knocking them down to 18 inches was harsh.

I would like to see spike rifles be 24 inches even if they lost assault just for variety and another choice.

Most of the new models have decent stats but some of the problems carried over to them as well WS3 and I1 is sad sad for what was once one of the best CC armies out there.

Chapter-Master

I think the Eternal Warrior thing should be supplementary to actual balance changes - i.e. statlines, wargear, special rules, points costs, etc.
    Right now, why would anyone take half the units in the codex for anything but fluff or modelling reasons?

With Hormagaunts, making them WS4 would be a big help, though I don't think they would get S4. To be honest though, Termagants have S4 guns, so why not?
    I would also increase the range of Termagant Fleshborers to 18". As it is, sure the horde units are cheap but they aren't good for their cost.
    I think they will buff Genestealers when they are re-done, after all, they did just take a massive nerf by not being able to charge from Outflanking. Your idea sounds good, but they would also need a considerable price drop and a return to 4+ armour. Maybe 9-11 points a model for WS6 BS0 S5 T4 W1 A3 I6 LD10 Sv +4 ? They could even give them a special rule stating that they specifically can charge from reserves.

I would do this with Carnifexes;
    WS4 BS4 S8 T6 W4 A4 I4 LD8 +3 as their basic profile, and make them cheaper as well. Then give them a load of different ways to change their statline, ala biomorphs in earlier codices. As for special rules, they should have Furious Charge, Rage and that outnumbered rule (you gain D3 attacks if outnumbered, forget what it is called). Would make them a lot more viable.

Warriors should be S5 T5 base I feel, they are twice the size of a Space Marine and yet are no tougher? Sure they have more wounds, but they should be tougher and stronger.

I would also change the Pyrovore around severely so that it actually has a specific purpose. Drop the power weapon attacks, give it different kinds of 'flamer ammunition', give it better stats - make it tougher for one - and make it a lot cheaper. That way, it can be used as an effective and cheap infantry suppression unit - for example, it could have like a S5 AP4 template, a S4 AP3 template, a S3 AP2 template, etc. Perhaps also give them the Torrent special rule - their 'flamers' are gigantic after all. Make them more mobile. Maybe that would make them a bit OP in an infantry-centric edition but at least people would, you know, use them.
    Last edited by Learn2Eel; 01-05-2013 at 08:38 PM.
    Check out my blog!

Librarian

I know I would personally be happy either with eternal warrior, or just a proper use of the stat lines. I mean hell look at the poor hormagant, 6 points and an ork boy at the same cost could kick its butt without really trying that hard. I have always felt that while warriors are great, they really cost too much for what they do, if they had eternal warrior, or if they just had a better statline they would be much more worth it hands down.

I am hoping to god that ward doesn't write the codex though, I love my bugs and really don't wanna see him mess up the story, or just create stupid powerful combos. I like winning don't get me wrong, but I want it to be based on my skill and use of models, not just because I took the best combo.

I really hope a flier wave comes soon though, even though the harpy isn't impressive I still wanna paint one up. If past tyranid models with wings are any comparison, I have a feeling that the harpy is going to look frelling beautiful.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast