BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Necron Codex

Scout

Default Necron Codex

I was talking to Jervis at Games Day UK last month and he pretty much confirmed that necrons are getting a new codex, maybe during the middle of 2010. This got me and my mates debating just what should be in the new codex. Going through the fluff of the hobby, there isnt too much when it comes to units we havent seen or heard of before. One mate was telling me there is a metal worm thing in a Soul Drinkers novel. Ive yet to read it, but that would be a possible new edition to the necron forces. Personally i believe the necrons need a lighter tank option, better Pariahs (maybe as a troops choice), rending for flayed ones (why not eh), and tomb spyders that enhance your army. I think they could really go to town on the spyders and give them loads of quality options and new rules, if they do this, spyders should be crap in combat though. What do you lot out there think? I aint a necron player, but believe there is alot they can do with the codex when it comes out.

One posibility would be to overhaul the spiders. Make them significantly larger tank-like monstrous creatures (i.e. a mechanical carniflex). They are the littlest monstrous creatures in 40k as things stand, and very weak

Brother-Sergeant

I would be perfectly happy if they just gave us more options on the units themselves instead of adding more units. In addition to being pretty gimped right now Necron players are also thrown down a very narrow corridor with regards to what they're allowed to play with. Allowing me to upgrade/customize my units would make me a very happy flesh-bag indeed.

With regards to the new Codex though, there have already been quite a few rumors spread throughout the interwebs such as the basic warrior being T5 with Slow And Purposeful, as well as multiple types of lords the will funkify your force org depending on which one you choose. And lets not forget the biggy, replacing WBB with FNP and getting rid of phase out!

These are of course all rumors, but I can dream damnit!

Occuli Imperator

I would like them to feel like undead sisters... What I mean by that is

- they should only have a toughness of 3 with a 3+ save... Or a toughness of 4 with a 4+ save. This way they are easier to kill, but there would be more of them.
    - No more C'tan... Keep the gods in the fluff, not on the table.
    - Make Lords to be like vampire Count Lords, super supportive to the army and deadly in combat.
    - No gauss rule, that is just dumb.
    - More troops types, (Pariahs as troops is silly)
    - Light tank option, somthing in between a destroyer and a Monolith.
    - I would like to see Spiders to be super customizable...
    - A ressurection Spider
    - A long range hvy support spider
    - A close range combat monster spider
    - A swarm producing spider.

All in all I want them to feel like undead. This would mean that the Warriors are relativly easy to kill, but the Lords are super tough and their support units can be devestating. The army lists would be built more like Vampire Counts are right now (a few very powerful Lords, minnimum troops, Maxed Elites and the 'rest,' of the army would be summoned.)

Duke

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post

- they should only have a toughness of 3 with a 3+ save... Or a toughness of 4 with a 4+ save. This way they are easier to kill, but there would be more of them.
    - No more C'tan... Keep the gods in the fluff, not on the table.
    - Make Lords to be like vampire Count Lords, super supportive to the army and deadly in combat.
    - More troops types, (Pariahs as troops is silly)
    - Light tank option, somthing in between a destroyer and a Monolith.
    - I would like to see Spiders to be super customizable...
    - A ressurection Spider
    - A long range hvy support spider
    - A close range combat monster spider
    - A swarm producing spider.

All in all I want them to feel like undead. This would mean that the Warriors are relativly easy to kill, but the Lords are super tough and their support units can be devestating. The army lists would be built more like Vampire Counts are right now (a few very powerful Lords, minnimum troops, Maxed Elites and the 'rest,' of the army would be summoned.)

Duke

I dont know, perhaps change guass from glancing on 6s get rid of that, and perhaps just run with 6s to always wound?

That makes MCs a bit easier to take down and such
    The Dark Angels, The Emperor's First, and Finest!
    A moment of Laxity spawns a lifetime of Heresy

i would like to see is the Heavy Destroyers and the Normal Destroyers units joined much like Attack Bikes are done in the SM or at least give the option of having a heavy join a normal unit of destroyers.

Wraths should get power weapons (maybe at cost of their Str)

flayed ones should be rending

Pariahs should be a HQ support squad that can be taken if you take a certain level lord (if the tier lord thing is true, aka not bottom rank, level 2 at least and the top get something even better... destroyer Pariahs? LOL too good to be but i can dream)

The options for limited subbing of troop choices, lords shouldn't let you field all flayed ones as troops just one or so units, same for a single group of destroyers & Immortals. The Necron army is done to be logical and machine but the lords still have persona's and i can only assume that some have their "favorite" servants but it wouldn't get around the Legion of Warriors the lords still uses.

Warriors should be tough enough not to be hidden and kept back on the field, i hate the concept of the imagery in 40k of army's of necrons marching forwards killing and yet in game they are hidden and kept babied. AKA change Phase out rules but it limits how you can play too much for Necron players.

They need to fix WBB, it’s too complicated, and it needs to be replaced with FNP.

The Res orb should allow FNP against power weapons and ap1 and 2 weapons and weapons that inflict instant death OR

Pariahs are ok stat wise but the I3 is a killer, that combined with no WBB and the points cost! Make it a losing deal.

They should be I4; the one attack is ok since they have War scythes with gauss blaster that’s awesome. And they should be necrons, everything else I could take or leave.

Immortals are fine

Scarabs are ok though to get more people to field them they should have DF for free.

Lords need more something, either more army wide buffs or more personal buffs. Even with S5 T5 and three attacks he's still not all that great. Not when relic blade wielding space marines come calling. He needs to have access to more points of war gear I think so you can make him into what you want. And please fix the War scythe for the lords; it’s a freakin assault 2 gauss blaster for the pariahs but not for the lords. I cry foul!

Tomb spyders need something maybe army wide buffs? I’m more in favor of making them like a tech priest but for necrons?? Any unit that he is in base contact with can resurrect one unit of the same type the unit cannot have more units than it started with ability works on a 4+ 5+? Too powerful maybe.

There are picks of a concept vehicle a barge with a destroyer like necron on the back as a pilot that looked really cool, lots of potential there.

All necrons need to be Fearless or at least fearless in the assault to fix their TERRIBLE close combat.

Wraiths need to be multi wound or something, and their claws need rending or to be power weapons, they're just too few of them in a unit to do much good.

Flayed ones NEED rending they just suck compared to regular assault marines, maybe reroll scatter dice when deep striking.

Destroyers are great the way they are

Heavy destroyers need something, they seem way too expensive to me for one wound models

Get rid of the C'tan they're cool but over the top for a regular game, but then again Logan Grimnar costs as much as a land raider!

Monoliths are pretty good the way they are, super slow and super hard to kill! I like the deep strike and ability to bring in reserves, I would increase cost to Land raider level and let them use the “portal” in addition to the Whip and the GF projectors maybe.

And the Warriors in addition to being fearless in the assault, FNP then need slow and purposeful so they can do what the fluff says that do “March forward implacably and shoot stuff!), which you can’t do now! Then warriors would be useful again.

Weaker warriors? They are suppose to be impossible to kill, that is kind of the entire plot for the army. They should be as hard to kill as DG IMO.

Actually lets base them off something very similar, a plague marine. Should probably have better shooting, and be worse in close combat than a plague marine. Make them T4(5) so lascannons still instant kill unless there is a res orb nearby.

Allowing me to upgrade/customize my units would make me a very happy flesh-bag indeed.
    I think warriors should be very basic, and uncustomizable, no upgrades for warriors. But.... make tomb spyders not monstrous creatures and allow them to join squads of necrons. The spyder grants some bonus to the warriors(ex. one necron can re-roll his WBB), and is a good hth unit to support them in assault. However tomb spyder still needs PW and 2d6 against tanks- there is some more AT. Drawback.... tomb spyders can't teleport so to teleport you have to leave the spyder behind. Tomb spyders with squads can not create scarabs, they are to busy rebuilding necrons, but when they are on their own they can create scarabs.

Pariahs need to be elite, if you removed them and flayed ones from elite all that leaves are immortals. Make them elites but make them elites, make them useful. They are ok in shooting, great against psykers, and good against 'some' units in hth. 2-3 attacks, gain necron rule or FNP whatever the new thing will be. Leave the psyker rules how they are.

C'tan, keep them around but beef them up some(they are kind of bleh for 'gods') and make them Apoc units. The NB should have no problem taking a greater demon, even the apoc greater demons. Make him a gargantuan creature, he is already probably the nastiest monstrous creature that is not a gargantuan. And make the deceiver's ability more like Lash. Lash makes no sense for EC, it makes all the sense in the world for the deceiver.

I like the idea Ironwinds has of Spyders being troop supports. Make them more like Wraith lords (in practice) remove the MC rule. hmmm I like it.

The Pariahs do need to be elites, I go back and forth on them, in the end the fact that they are not necrons (no WBB) and the points cost is the killer. They are not that much harder to kill than a regular marine unit for the most part certianly not TWICE as hard.

This is something I struggle with - necrons to me are less like undead and more like terminators. What I mean by that is that I feel like they should have some aspects of the undead - the slow and implacable advance of the horde - but should also feel like they're impossible to kill.

The gauss rule in its current incarnation is dumb, but I do like the idea of gauss weapons. It's been a long established part of necron lore that necron weapons are advanced beyond all others. The trouble with gauss weaponry in its current incarnation is that it doesn't feel that way at all. Right now, an army of wraithguard feels more "necron" to me than an army of necron.

I know necron players tend to hate phase out, but I actually wouldn't mind keeping it if that was the price of getting an army that can field a relatively large number of tough-to-kill infantry with badass guns.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast