BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Need points cost help

Ok, so basically, some friends and I are working on a narrative series of 40k games, in addition to our normal gaming.

As part of this, we have a special character that needs to be included.

We have worked out the stats and abilities he should have... we need help with the points costs.

Now, heres what we have so far...

The basic template is the Lone Wolf, so around 20 points base.

Pair of Wolf Claws (35 points)

Runic Armour (20 points)

Wolf Tail & Wolf Tooth (15 points)

Now, thats 90 points.... the rest gets harder.

How much would you say a Twin Linked Storm Bolter is worth? Or a modified version of MotW that may or may not do anything at all?

He also has a higher WS and I, but a lower BS.

Here is the full character we have put together.

------------------------------

The Oath Bearer……………………………… ???
    WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
    OathBearer 6 3 5 4 3 6 3 8 2+

Composition:
    ● 1 (Unique)

Unit Type:
    ● Infantry

Wargear:
    ● Runic Armour
    ● The Fell Claws
    ● Wolf Tail Talisman
    ● Wolf Tooth Necklace

Special Rules:
    ● And They Shall Know No Fear
    ● Acute Senses
    ● Counter-Attack
    ● Independent Character
    ● Fearless
    ● A Pack of One
    ● Beastslayer
    ● A Glorious Death
    ● Wolf-bitten

SPECIAL RULES
    Acute Senses, And They Shall Know No Fear, Counter-Attack, Independent Character, Fearless, A Pack of One, Beastslayer, A Glorious Death

Wolf-Bitten: The Oathbearer is affected by the Mark of the Wulfen, though the curse that affects him comes and goes. When the Oathbearer is in melee, roll a d6 and add the number of wounds the Oathbearer has taken, then consult the following chart.

Roll Effect
    1-3 The Mark does not manifest, attack as normal
    4-5 The Mark manifests normally, giving the Oathbearer 1d6+1 attacks
    6 The Mark manifests completely. The Oathbearer gains 7 attacks this round, and +2 strength

WARGEAR
    The Fell Claws: An ancient relic of the chapter, crafted by the Iron Priest Shellob the Oil-Blooded long ago, and meant as a gift to the first Great Wolf, Bjorn. The Great Wolf was felled before ever being given the claws, and for centuries they languished, forgotten in the deepest vaults of the Fang.

The Fell Claws are treated as a pair of Wolf Claws, but also contain a set of storm bolters, which can be fired as a single twin-linked storm bolter. In addition, such is the craftsmanship of the claws, that they continue to count as paired power weapons even when the wearer is affected by the Mark of the Wulfen, although the re-roll no longer applies.
    "The Emperor is with us, His sacred light shields us, and he has sent his wolves to watch over us."

I'll take a stab ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaellars View Post
    How much would you say a Twin Linked Storm Bolter is worth?
    Well, storm bolters generally seem to cost about 5 points. Rather than ask how much twin-linking costs, I would just look at the total Ballistic Skill. A BS4 model has a 2/3 chance to hit. A twin-linked BS3 model has a 3/4 chance to hit. I'm going to call that another 10 points, since increasing to-hit numbers often seems to be quite costly. So say 15 points for the twin-linked storm bolter.

Or a modified version of MotW that may or may not do anything at all?
    The weighted average number of attacks Wolf-Bitten gives is 2.66, whereas the weighted average number of attacks MotW gives is 4.5. True, Wolf-Bitten also sometimes makes you S7, but on the whole, I'd say that losing two attacks on average compared to the vanilla Mark makes these two about equal in points cost. So I'm going to say 15 points for Wolf-Bitten.

But, there's a synergy to take into account between the Fell Claws and Wolf-Bitten that regular Marked Lone Wolves have no way of getting. That makes it 3.66 attacks as opposed to 4.5, and also 3.66 Rending power weapon attacks as opposed to 4.5 Rending attacks. I'm going to say another 15 points for that synergy.

He also has a higher WS and I, but a lower BS.
    The lower BS I've already taken into account in the twin-linked storm bolter cost. The jump from WS5 to WS6 is not worth all that much in my opinion (5, 7, and 9 are the big WS break points, as they bump the model to being hit on a 5+ against WS2, 3, and 4, respectively), so I'll say 5 points for that.

I6 instead of I5 is a relatively big deal, as I5 is the point at which you start to get anti-elite-CC units. However, both Chaos marines and tyranids pay about 5 points for +1I, so I'll say 5 points for the jump to I6.

Putting it all together that would come out to 145 points for a model that I would expect to do well against targets that can't fight back but should be fairly vulnerable to high-powered shooting and power weapons. That feels about right to me.

Thanks!

We have been thinking around 150 pts.

That is a very well broken down appraisal. The one question I have, when you averaged the attacks for Wolf-bitten, did you take into account his wounds adding to the roll? As in, the more hurt he is, the more chance of him getting more attacks?
    "The Emperor is with us, His sacred light shields us, and he has sent his wolves to watch over us."

The one question I have, when you averaged the attacks for Wolf-bitten, did you take into account his wounds adding to the roll? As in, the more hurt he is, the more chance of him getting more attacks?
    No, I assumed that he was unwounded, and also that he was not charging. That being the case, you might want to shoot a little higher than my price.

Chapter-Master

Most storm bolters in the SM dex's are 3 points, not 5, as I recall. And a storm bolter isn't exactly the most impressive weapon, so 15pts for a TL BS3 one is a LOT. I'd say 5pts, maybe 10 if you wanted to be safe.

As for the stat upgrades, +1 I is 10pts. Look at Mark of Slaanesh; 10pts, +1 I. If you want to be safe, call it 15pts.
    For WS, I'd say 5, maybe 10pts. The difference between WS5 and WS6 isn't very much. Upgrading WS 4 to 5 would be a bigger deal, but to get to WS 6 probably shouldn't be that expensive.

Now, I'd say this about the Wolf-bitten rule.
    1. You gave him Mark of the Wulfen. He already has power weapons, so rending doesn't play too much into it, but it does give him bonus attacks. So we start at 15. Rending isn't too big a deal, but he also gets more attacks out of it, so I'd add 5pts to the mark.
    2. Your little wound chart leaves the possibility of a lot of attacks, or a normal number. It's good, but not that good, so I'd add another 5pts to the Mark of the wulfen.

All told, 25pts for Wolf-bitten, 10 for the Storm Bolter, 15 for the +1 I, plus the wargear you've purchased for him would be a safe price, in my opinion. So by my estimate, 140pts would be fair.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

The more I think about it, the other thing that we have included above, tht I didnt point out and no one else has mentioned...

He is a 3 wound model. Some points should be allocated for that.My group has been floating around the 150-175 pts range for this guy.

Battle-Brother

I think 15pts is a reasonable price for the extra wound (although with both Feel No Pain and Eternal Warrior, 20-25pts might be better). A couple of quick points though:

I notice that the stat line also includes +1 Str and one more attack than the Lone Wolf, so I would add on 10pts for each of those.

Also I notice you've given him both Independant Character and A Pack Of One, Is that intentional? The only benifit I can see is gaining Move Through Cover, probably worth another 5pts.

If you intend to allow him to join units, you should probably add on a fairly hefty amount of points.

Assuming that he can't join units (and that the +1 Str/Att is correct) I think 180pts is a fair price.
    Do unto others as they would do unto you.
    Only do it faster and harder.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I think 15pts is a reasonable price for the extra wound (although with both Feel No Pain and Eternal Warrior, 20-25pts might be better). A couple of quick points though:

I notice that the stat line also includes +1 Str and one more attack than the Lone Wolf, so I would add on 10pts for each of those.

Also I notice you've given him both Independant Character and A Pack Of One, Is that intentional? The only benifit I can see is gaining Move Through Cover, probably worth another 5pts.

If you intend to allow him to join units, you should probably add on a fairly hefty amount of points.

Assuming that he can't join units (and that the +1 Str/Att is correct) I think 180pts is a fair price.
    Ah, i missed some of those stat increases. I'd aree that, after those, 170-180pts is about right.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Yes, that was intentional. He is ment to be a very bad individual, but unable to join any units. Move through cover is something we thought he should have though.

I think we are going to go with 175 for him.