BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Uncompetitive units you cant resist

So after reading the Blog article about Legion of the Damned and how to fit such cool models into a competitive list, it got me thinking, what other cool units are there that just dont play well?

For examplei im a fluff gamer. i got into this hobby because I love the storyline of the game. I love the fluff of the game, and some unit entries to me seem too good to pass up (In the fun sense, not fluff since). For instance, I prefer foot slogging sluggas over shootas in my Ork army. They just seem more orky to me, the fact they have to get in your face or they die.. I also really enjoy Meganobz, both the models and their background. I also like Killa Kanz, hence why I run anywhere between six and nine of them. Although I don't have any models for them yet, I also like the randomness of Flash Gitz. Not all of these units may be competitive, but their character is what gets me.
    http://www.heresy-online.net/daemons/adoptables/10912-dchingus.htm
    Please help my lil buddy by a lil clicky click

Ogryn are alot of fun. Even if, they are a points sink. I run them quite a bit.
    http://crazyredpraetorian.blogspot.com/
    http://theflylordsofterra.blogspot.com/

Brother-Sergeant

Pariahs!!! I want to like Paraiahs so much, which is why I always try to find ways to make them useful... even if it's tactically better to us an entirely different strategy all together. XD

Killa Kans with Grotzookas! They are so, so, so easy to kill with the AV11 and squadron rules, but they're just too cool to pass up. (Though I have knocked out a dreadnaught with some lucky, on target grotzooka shots)

Looted wagons fall in that category too. With AV 11, they spend all game, shaken, immobilized, weapon destroyed or wrecked. BUT the modeling opportunities are just too much to pass up so I use them sometimes, and SOMETIMES you can get a lucky boom gun hit.

Wraiths for the Necrons, such a cool model but only three models in a unit. They usually just die but every now and then I get to assault a unit of Tau fire warriors and I can't top grinning.

For the Tau probably the Skyray. Looks cool, good states but really just a big flying marker light. Not as cool as a hammer head so mine stays in the case most of the time.

Killa Kans with Grotzookas! They are so, so, so easy to kill with the AV11 and squadron rules, but they're just too cool to pass up. (Though I have knocked out a dreadnaught with some lucky, on target grotzooka shots)
    Yeah Squadron rules aren't that fun. But nothing like a wall of walkers advancing towards you. Thats enough that something should get through . I prefer rokkits though. With good BS (for Orks) and the ability to instakill a t4 character with power armor and light vehicles, it seems worthwhile.

Pariahs!!! I want to like Paraiahs so much, which is why I always try to find ways to make them useful... even if it's tactically better to us an entirely different strategy all together. XD
    I dont play crons, but if I did I would use pariahs. coolest model in that army IMO. I had an idea awhile back about maybe making them into squad leaders, kinda of like Space Wolf Wolf Guards.
    Last edited by Sitnam; 10-22-2009 at 09:32 AM.
    http://www.heresy-online.net/daemons/adoptables/10912-dchingus.htm
    Please help my lil buddy by a lil clicky click

Brother-Captain

Probably heavy bolters...but I rarely take them
    The one I do take I think is a competative must that most people seem to think sucks: Mortars. I love 'em. In fact barrage in general is just fun.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Chapter-Master

Hawks

poor poor swooping hawks

not even gun options (its 2in1)

p.s. could i use wingless hawks as rangers (milliput some cloaks!)

Fuzzbuket
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Brother-Captain

Dark Angels...

Shokk Attack Gunz, Meganobs, and Burnas.

Veteran-Sergeant

My lone Soul Grinder (they're good, but only in pairs).

My two Whirlwinds in my Flesh Tearer army.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Sitnam View Post
    I dont play crons, but if I did I would use pariahs. coolest model in that army IMO. I had an idea awhile back about maybe making them into squad leaders, kinda of like Space Wolf Wolf Guards.
    That would certainly help make them more useful! Soulless squad leaders? Yes please! If nothing changed but that they would be immensely more useful! XD

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast