BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2v2 games and allies using tranports

Ok so about a week ago i player a 4 player game of 40k 2v2, choas and eldar vrs 2 spacemarine players. game was going fun as usually then is turned into a Rule book throwing finger pointing agruemnt.

the space marine team with 2 seprate army list 1 terminator assualt sqaud on one list and a landraider on his team mates list. about turn 3 into the game the land raider disembarked his team mates termie assualt squad. this totally blew my mind they did that. as far as i knew you could only put your troops into transports on YOUR army list.

Unless i missed it somewere i nthe rule book even if its from the same codex in a 2v2 allies type game the 2 armys are treated as battle brothers by the allies Matrix in the rule book.

so plz reply ot my post so i can either Bash my friend with the rulebook or learn sometihng new i can use against him.

Brother-Sergeant

Sounds to me like you didn't fully discuss what type of rules you were going to use for your game. Over the weekend I played a 2v2 game. My guard and Chaos marines fighting Tau and Nids. We didn't even bother with the ally matrix as it would have had us not being able to have the fun game we did. The thing to remember is that you always need to figure out what kind of rules are going to be used. This is often while discussing what terrain is. We often spend fifteen to twenty minutes talking about rules that may need to be created, modified, or dismissed before we even start to deploy. We are all a bunch of good friends that play many games with each other, but we still do this just to prevent confusion.

Chapter-Master

It actually explicitly states that allies cannot use the other army's transports. You can decide to play it differently, but the rules for allies are pretty clear on this.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

was looking more for a rule clarification. yeah i get what your saying about explaining rules before the match, Our game was suspose to be "by the rules" to keep it simple to the point and as fair as possible with the newer players.

Main reason im raising hell over this is by thier way of thinking its perfectly legit for my to take SM as allies to my eldar and give the terminators a Wave serpent transport. im trying to keep my army lists and game style to give my opponent as fair a match as possible.

As DarkLink said, they're just wrong about that. If you all agree to play otherwise, that's totally legit, but the default is that transports may only be ridden in by members of the specific detachment the transport itself comes from. As page 112 says, "note that not even Battle Brothers can embark in allied transport vehicles."

Chapter-Master

Yeah. Technically, there are no rules for 2v2 battles, but it would be reasonable to assume that the Allies rules would apply to partners, in which case you can't embark in your partner's transports (that is a dirty joke waiting to happen, btw).
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Yeah. Technically, there are no rules for 2v2 battles, but it would be reasonable to assume that the Allies rules would apply to partners, in which case you can't embark in your partner's transports (that is a dirty joke waiting to happen, btw).
    Bahahahhaha For Throne's Sake, I almost fell out of my chair after i re-read that =D
    =][= "Innocence proves Nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    As DarkLink said, they're just wrong about that. If you all agree to play otherwise, that's totally legit, but the default is that transports may only be ridden in by members of the specific detachment the transport itself comes from. As page 112 says, "note that not even Battle Brothers can embark in allied transport vehicles."
    I don't know about "specific detachment." That rule doesn't preclude members of two Primary Detachments from the same army hot-swapping transports, or even two Allied Detachments.

Quote Originally Posted by Houghten View Post
    I don't know about "specific detachment." That rule doesn't preclude members of two Primary Detachments from the same army hot-swapping transports, or even two Allied Detachments.
    You're quite right. When I wrote that I had forgotten you can have more than one detachment from the same book.

When playing a 2v2 game, its not specifically covered by the rules, so really its a matter of discusssion before the game to make sure everyone is clear, for the Space Marines, it doesn't seem to make sense for them not to use each others transport if needed, they'd do it in the fluff, and that might have been more important to your oponent that simply being fair.

The rules state that models from an allied detachment can use the primary detachments transports, but that isn't what happened, when I've personally played in 2v2, we treat it as one big army with 2 FOCs, but you can be sensible, obviously Space Marines wouldn't easily fit in a Wave Serpent.

It looks like the most important rule of the game was being broken here, people weren't having fun, and this was probably your fault, given your attitude, calm down, its just a game, don't go looking to "bash your friend"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast