BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Simian View Post
    two troop choices, brave! I'm firmly of the opinion that triwing is the best way to go with this codex. A good mix of terminators, Tac marines and bikes works really well together.
    I would possibly say more foolhardy than brave- I had eyed up dropping the Command Squad and just using the points to bulk the troops squads up further........ My aim in this army is to do a predominantly Deathwing force, supported by a contingent of Ravenwing- however at the moment Ravenwing units do make up about 47% of the army! Any idea's on improvements then?
    ALShrive; found somewhere between fact and breakfast.
    Horseman of the Derailment

I dont believe that the Knights are worth it no matter how cool they look. despite smite they're still a bunch of ap4 wielding terminators with no ranged, anyone with any sense will just run you round the board and avoid them. replace with another terminator squad and you're up to 3 troops.

the command squad, again very cool but the main bonus of taking them is for the banners (admittedly from what i've found in a minimal amount of testing) getting a plasma cannon in there is good but they're a non scoring unit that doesn't even buff the rest of your army. you also seem to have no Thunder hammer / storm shield terminators, im firmly of the opinion that one per squad is worthwhile every game.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Simian View Post
    I dont believe that the Knights are worth it no matter how cool they look. despite smite they're still a bunch of ap4 wielding terminators with no ranged, anyone with any sense will just run you round the board and avoid them. replace with another terminator squad and you're up to 3 troops.

the command squad, again very cool but the main bonus of taking them is for the banners (admittedly from what i've found in a minimal amount of testing) getting a plasma cannon in there is good but they're a non scoring unit that doesn't even buff the rest of your army. you also seem to have no Thunder hammer / storm shield terminators, im firmly of the opinion that one per squad is worthwhile every game.
    I think you don't understand why they are good. They are a support terminator squad, as opposed to the normal Deathwing Squad.

Besides, they are Terminators with Power Mauls. Str 6! With Concussive Blast. What's not to like about this?
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

What do you guys think is the ideal load out for your average Deathwing squad? Being as Split Fire affects only one model and they can't combat squad, I don't see the point of going up to 10 for the second heavy, maybe sticking to 5 or 6. Does it make sense to kit them for CC and shooting in the same squad? Say adding a TH/SS or two and a pair of lightning claws along with the heavy weapon/stormbolters. The SS seems less useful in mixed squad where you can't be sure what direction any AP2 fire is going to be coming from, but it might still be worth while for when you get into CC.

I am thinking of trying out a full unit of ten with two auto cannons joined by Belail deep striking turn one with no scatter and just blasting the enemy warlord with twin linked fire. In theory it is an easy first blood and slay the warlord. I will have to see how it works in practice.
    But other than that I would keep the squads small and flexible.

Battle-Brother

Can you give the srg the Assault Cannon so that he and Belial can try to precision shot if the opposing warlord is in a squad? I don't have my dex on me so I can't check to see if the srg can get the heavy weapon.

Chapter-Master

no. Sgts cannot take heavy weapons.

There's no reason not to take 2 different heavy weapons.
    You could cyclone and hv flamer. Both are decent anti-infantry, and if you need to shoot a tank, have the cyclone split fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    I think you don't understand why they are good. They are a support terminator squad, as opposed to the normal Deathwing Squad.

Besides, they are Terminators with Power Mauls. Str 6! With Concussive Blast. What's not to like about this?
    The AP4, and low attacks for that AP. Maybe if they base 3 +1 for extra weapon they could be used to clear blobs, but as is without using the overload they cant fight blobs or even power armor units as effectively as a termi with LCs. They needed the option to switch out the mace for the flail on every model to even be worth what you pay for them. They cant even take a banner to get them access to +1 attacks.

These guys got the sanguinary guard treatment, no thought into making rules for what they would be use for.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrell View Post
    The AP4, and low attacks for that AP. Maybe if they base 3 +1 for extra weapon they could be used to clear blobs, but as is without using the overload they cant fight blobs or even power armor units as effectively as a termi with LCs. They needed the option to switch out the mace for the flail on every model to even be worth what you pay for them. They cant even take a banner to get them access to +1 attacks.

These guys got the sanguinary guard treatment, no thought into making rules for what they would be use for.
    Exactly my thoughts.

Chapter-Master

Yet, you haven't seen them in action.

Stick belial with them, and start as far forward as possible. Turn 2, teleport your terminators into b2b. Bam, majority toughness 5 on your entire army.

Btw, they are all in terminator armor...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast