BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The new WD

Chapter-Master

Default The new WD

So we're on our third or fourth newstyle white dwarf.
    Does anyone else think nothings really changed? It's still not the the hobby magazine it was in the 200's and apparently that didn't match up to what it was before then...
    so where's all the content they promised?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

I had a flick through of a few issues and I didn't really see any content that appealed to me. I wonder if there is some place I could send the editors/writers suggestions though. For example, to capitalise on the Chaos marines and dark angels codices - They could of done an Allies WD army-list focussed around Cypher and the Fallen with some examples of CSM/DA kitbashes. The other article type i'd like to see are "Index astartes" type ones - a little fluff and information with colour-schemes and such. This would be especially cool if it focussed on more unknown chapters, craftworlds, dynasties <insert other equivilents here?) - when I read stuff like that in older issues back in the 90's it certainly inspired me and got me buying stuff.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Chaplain

It“s a matter of fact. There is no real content - other than before. The Book-"Preview" (as you can name it so) and the presentation of FW or, in some rare cases, non GW-Concern but GW related material is new. The presentation shemas are the same. Make a lot of page-space by big and splashing pictures, minimize text. Ironically in the battle reports, which should have big pics to show whats going on in the game, has only stamp-size pictures far too tiny to see what happens.

The new releases prensentation is still too large, too big and without any real informations. I think it is better to stretch a thema over two issues, because if you have looked (to they read feels wrong here) through a issue, you a more than feed up the new realeases and you still won“t look at DA (in this issue) again. An articel with some real information about some codex rules or some early tactica is missing completly. Its all about pictures and presentation. The new WD has changed, in princing, in the quality of the paper and in the qualtiy of the cover pages - kinda embossed, shiny. It look high quality and feels (at your fingertips) high quality too ... but in case of contens its poor.

Sad but true.

The short period of time between presentation in the WD and the release itself makes it kinda pointless to buy it, because in the codex are a lot of shiny pictures of the minis too and there you got real information.
    Peace through superior Firepower!

I've not read this months yet but there are considerably more actual articles in the new style WD than the old. Still a lack of terrain building guides and things like that but it has improved.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

First-Captain

It's still bobbins as far as I'm concerned.
    I wanted to believe the whole sweeping changes, new direction mumbo jumbo but 3 issues in and nothing.

I hate what they did to the Battle Reports. Those used to be fun to read, turn by turn, phase by phase but now it seems they just highlight some actions and thats it. That's a shame

Quote Originally Posted by energongoodie View Post
    It's still bobbins as far as I'm concerned.
    I wanted to believe the whole sweeping changes, new direction mumbo jumbo but 3 issues in and nothing.
    Well it's still a heck of a lot better than it was before, it needs to improve more but it simply isn't accurate to say nothing has changed.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

All the new wd's are sealed in wrapper, i wont spend 6 quid on a mag i cant even see whats in it.
    So, so far i cant comment on the content at all. White dwarf was brilliant up till the mid nineties then gw sucked at pretty much everything till the naughties imo. White dwarf hasnt recovered.

WD. Akin to having a staff member in printed form.

Ace for a new comer, good for those returning. However, less essential for those in full hobby bloom.

I enjoy the editorials, Vetock serves as a good counterpoint to Jervis, and the paint splatter guides make a wry pleasing alternative to the 'sod that, you talented bugger' of 'Eavy Metal.

I'll stick with my sub!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

I agree with EG, it is much better. Prior to the revamp, it was basically just pages and pages of photos and advertising, now they actually have some articles. I agree it is nowhere near the glory days of free minis and trial rules for Mordheim, but it is better. I for one love the return to an insight into the design process, the 'conversations' with sculptors, designers and authors. As for correspondence Xeno, you can indeed send them letters. Check out the first page, under the photos of the WD team for info.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast