BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Kult of Speed basing

(Wasn't sure which area this post is supposed to go in, but I'm sure it'll be fine in general)

Ok, so I am in the process of painting and using an Evil Sunz/Speed Freaks Ork army, but I am unsure as to how I should base them. I haven't really written any fluff around my army yet, so I'd really like some advice as to what sort of planet/terrain the Speed Freaks would fight on. Snow and Forest/Grassland seem a little far fetched (ever tried riding a motorbike/driving a truck in the snow?), but I am open to most other options. I was possibly thinking tarmac (pain the base dark grey/and lightly texture, then paint yellow dashes along the middle), though I'm not entirely sure if that would work. (Note: I have, rather foolishly, already glued my models to their bases, and many of the boys originated from Assault on Black Reach and so have slotted bases)

Please comment any suggestions/feedback you have to offer; it will be much appreciated

Brother-Captain

I'd say that any world with roads/streets would work, also something like salt flats (the world land speed records are raced on such a surface after all, perfect for Speed Freaks) which would be a pale desert-like base with highlights going up to white.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

link a pic plz? struggling to imagine what salt flats look like...

Try [url]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/06/Bonneville_Salt_Flats.jpg[/url]. That's about what I think of when I think of the archetypal salt flat.

Brother-Captain

I was thinking of something a bit more like this:

A bit less white and with cracked patterning in the ground from it having dried out.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Librarian

Bikerz would go anywhere their bike could take them and fit at the same time. However just remember that the bikerz kick up a lot of dirt and will usually turn anything they're on into mud, sand, etc... Look at the tire spikes coming from the tires of each biker, these bikes are meant to be all terrain as the orks rarely (if ever) leave the saddle.

I quite like the idea of salt flats, as I could use the snow texture paint and lightly dry brush it with bleached bone...and maybe add some actual salt to make it grittier

Fine sand base, paint pale.

Google images of the Paris-Dakar race for inspiration.

[url]https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=paris+dakar&aq=0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=b3_-UIWBJsWRhQeh8oH4Cg&biw=1280&bih=709&sei=cn_-UMuZC9TI0AWT8IHgDA[/url]