BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default GW LA bunker downsizing

Announced on their FB page, [url]https://www.facebook.com/GWLosAngelesBunker?fref=ts[/url]

the Los Angeles battle bunker announces closing its doors for 3 days to go from Bunker to a Hobby Center.

Shrinky Shrinky.

Scout

That sucks but its business they have to make money to keep existing.

The Chicago Battle Bunker is now less than half the size it was last year, with less inventory ...
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ T. Pratchett

Daemon-Prince

Gw care about people who buy from them? Never going to happen......... As long as we keep buying there models they will downsize not caring where you play or anything.
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

GW is not a play centre so why do you assume you have the right to moan about not being able to play?
    I have a blog, check it out :P - http://forthegloryofgorkandmork.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/tau-xv8-02-commander.html - just updated my blog 11/04/13

Quote Originally Posted by RGilbert26 View Post
    GW is not a play centre so why do you assume you have the right to moan about not being able to play?
    Because the old GW was always making a point of support; the reason you should buy from GW is that they provide the whole supply chain and somewhere to partake in the hobby, hence "Hobby Centres", and a lot of people are happy to pay GW direct prices if they provide somewhere to game.

If GW "Hobby Centres"* are merely small shops with no hobby facilities, what incentive do most have for buying there rather than say online or at an FLGS with 10-20% off the RRP?
    Being the one stop hobby shop seemed to benefit GW as well, as it prevents customers finding out about other systems, but maybe they've given up on that due to the internet.

*I'd be surprised if they keep the term "Hobby Centre" long term as it's a blatant misnomer and an image they are trying to get away from.

So essentially, GW stores used to be a place to play and paint, but are now becoming a place to buy and nothing more.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by White Tiger88 View Post
    Gw care about people who buy from them? Never going to happen......... As long as we keep buying there models they will downsize not caring where you play or anything.
    Or perhaps the location doesn't generate enough revenue to support the capital investment that such a facility requires.

Why is it that when it comes to GW's business decisions, the de-facto assumed motivation behind them is "How do we screw over our customers?" when in fact screwing over their customers is exactly how you don't run a successful business.

It is my view that we are going to see another shoe drop with the release of the "next" quarterlies (not these that just came out). When a CEO suddenly steps down in combination with odd downsizing in what appears to be a profitable company, it often means the current numbers indicating profits are based almost entirely on estimates of saving and cuts. In other words, the downsizing of the last year and various other bookkeeping activities lead directly to the current quarterly report. I assure you that kept the value of the stocks up long enough for the departing CEO to liquidate his shares at the best sum he could make. You can call me a cynic or paranoid if you like, but this is the pattern seen most often.

A CEO seeing rough weather on the horizon (and said CEO is privy to far more than most) can see to it that the right cuts are made to prop up shares (which almost all CEOs have in ample number as part of their contract) for the sales they make upon departure. The next quarter is going to be the one that is most interesting.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Or perhaps the location doesn't generate enough revenue to support the capital investment that such a facility requires.

Why is it that when it comes to GW's business decisions, the de-facto assumed motivation behind them is "How do we screw over our customers?" when in fact screwing over their customers is exactly how you don't run a successful business.
    Please tell me how they are screwing over customers? Because 'GW' is expensive? Miniatures from GW are NOT expensive. Try a 'real' hobby, like paintball, shooting, carpentry, or building cars.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Daemon-Prince

Quote Originally Posted by RGilbert26 View Post
    Go reread the meaning of "Hobby Center" then come back please
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast