BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    Silly chemist with their smells and colours...
    and cancer and things like that....

Seriously, you don't even want to KNOW about HF
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

I like heliums.

It makes your voice all squeaky.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    and cancer and things like that....

[Brian Cox]It's all just a proxy for Physics.. [/Brian Cox]
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    Hey now, a chemical that can dissolve your bones without burning your skin and requires the antidote to be applied within 15 seconds is very grimdark.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

I am just curious as to how many people actually have a handy flask of Liquid Nitrogen just happily lying about the house.

We are not arguing because there already is only one prevalent opinion. You are trying to make your arguments more important by using your occupation as a reason and telling others that they therefore fail their reasoning. Which is unnecessary because we already agreed. In response to OP: There still are Clubs that use LN2 systems for smoke creation.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

sorry, when someone starts talking about the toxicity of an asphyxiant and rambling about the expansion ratio of a liquid boiling to a gas as if they don't understand diffusion or molar heat capacity (or hell even the basics of what cryogenic liquids do to cells) then I kinda assume they have no idea what they are talking about.....because they don't.

and yes I have seen that liquid nitrogen ice bucket challenge and the man is an idiot.
    Last edited by daboarder; 09-17-2014 at 07:04 PM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chemist here as well. I wanted to discuss what the OP was trying to do with this experiment.
    Materials change sizes slightly when their temperature changes. Different substances grown and shrink different amounts when undergoing those temperature changes. Some materials become brittle (most people have seen what happens to a racquetball in liquid nitrogen). In either case, it is possible that the paint or putty would come loose from the model under extreme temperatures.

Some interesting facts... the molds for making metal miniatures have a 'shrinkage factor' built in... something around 1-2% per linear dimension for most metals.

Now on safety... always read the MSDS and take appropriate precautions. Interesting experiment, but it does prove that there are better ways of going about this task.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12