BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Using Liquid Nitrogen in Modelling for Removing Paint and Putty

Hi all

I've made this video just for fun. It was experiment

I really don't know why you even expected it to work ??? but interesting experiment I guess....
    Tales from Original WFRP. My Troll-Slayer would be a terror with his axe, then my friend's Tax-Collector would hit the foul beasty with his cane and usually get the killing blow.

This is so dangerous. Most people think it is the coldness of the LN2 but it is the fact that it can fill 70 times the volume of liquid with gas and Nitrogen cannot be breathed and displaces the oxygen filled air. Doing this in a small room or a confined space could kill you. BEWARE!

Nope - rember 80th music - most of nice "smoke on floor" was done using nitrogen.
    But if you never used nitrogen before - just DON'T do this

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by pseudodelic View Post
    This is so dangerous. Most people think it is the coldness of the LN2 but it is the fact that it can fill 70 times the volume of liquid with gas and Nitrogen cannot be breathed and displaces the oxygen filled air. Doing this in a small room or a confined space could kill you. BEWARE!
    Yup, pushes the oxygen right out of your lungs in no time

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spellscape View Post
    Nope - rember 80th music - most of nice "smoke on floor" was done using nitrogen.
    But if you never used nitrogen before - just DON'T do this
    Dude, seriously....dont argue with the chemists on this one

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_ratio[/url]\

smoke on the floor is usually done by placing dry ice (carbon dioxide) in water, not liquid nitrogen.....
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    Dude, seriously....dont argue with the chemists on this one

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_ratio[/url]\

smoke on the floor is usually done by placing dry ice (carbon dioxide) in water, not liquid nitrogen.....
    Arguing with a chemist is a good way to win a Darwin award!
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

I registered just to respond to this, guys

78% of the air is nitrogen so its not poisonous to breathe in the fumes because you are already breathing it. Since it's really hard to breathe in liquids as well you need not worry about expansion ratio unless you are sitting in a 1m^3 airtight cube doing this (which would just raise further questions from my side) It's just going to get warmer as a gas which doesn't make up that much volume change as it expands. Even if you would breathe in less than the 21% oxygen the air usually has, it wouldn't be a problem because you don't use all of it anyway. Remember, when you perform CPR you are effectively exhaling into someone else which still has enough oxygen content to supply another persons lungs. So don't be scared about it. There is even an ice bucket challenge where someone pours liquid nitrogen over his (hairy) head. I probably wouldn't do that but there is imho nothing very dangerous about it. [URL="http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--D6Tqzehk--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/tegqtkxnksclan9fq5zu.gif"]short gif of the challenge[/URL] Just don't hold your finger in it

This stuff is -196°C when liquid so the experiment was interesting because _rapidly_ cooling the putty might have warped it so much that it would have popped right off. Metal is a good thermal conductor so putting liquid nitrogen on it may have cooled it even faster which prevented that. Thanks for trying it out so I don't have to

It's okay to breathe air with a lower than 21% Oxygen ratio, because Altitude Sickness is not a thing that kills people due to a lower amount of Oxygen, (though this is due to a lower amount of air in general, it still represents less O2 getting pumped into your lungs with each breath.)

That aside, you clearly didn't die and the video was entertaining. I'd say put a, "Don't Try This at Home," disclaimer on it, but it's unlikely Little Timmy's going to crack open his mum's Liquid Nitro supply and start pouring it on his Ultramarines.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Ahhh it funny to see people argue with a chemist,just so much fail.

1) No one said that N2 is toxic, its not, heres the MSDS
    [url]http://www.liquidnitrogenservices.com.au/safety/ln2_msds_e1.pdf[/url]

2) Yeah so you can survive on 20% oxygen.....thats not what we're talking about, when we say that liquid nitrogen displaces oxygen, we mean ALL of it.

That expansion ratio means that for every 1 L of liquid nitrogen that boils off, you create roughly 700 L of N2.....dont be stupid people

And hell, this isn't even touching on the fact that volumes of liquid nitrogen can cause the oxygen in the air itself to condense, forming liquid oxygen...something you DON'T wan't to happen (extremely flammable)

First aid measures
    - Inhalation : In high concentrations may cause asphyxiation. Symptoms may
    include loss of mobility/consciousness. Victim may not be aware
    of asphyxiation.

Remove victim to uncontaminated area wearing self contained
    Breathing apparatus. Keep victim warm and rested. Call a doctor.
    Apply artificial respiration if breathing stopped.
    - Skin/eye contact : Immediately flush eyes thoroughly with water for at least
    15 minutes.
    In case of frostbite spray with water for at least 15 minutes. Apply
    a sterile dressing. Obtain medical assistance.
    - Ingestion : Ingestion is not considered a potential route of exposure.
    So yeah....arguing with chemists and all that.

I really cannot in good conscience EVER suggest using liquid nitrogen to clean a model when far less dangerous materials are readily available.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Occuli Imperator

Silly chemist with their smells and colours...
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast