BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default so eldar powers in movment phase now?

so with the new FAQ which ruins one of the few things Eldar had going for them, non line of sight psy powers from vehicles.

do we take all our eldar non-shooting powers like guide, doom, fortune to be cast any time the movement phase? seems like that's what the combination of the new reserve FAQ and not being able to cast from vehicles is saying to me. If we can cast fortune when we come on the board...why cant we cast doom after we get out of a vehicle?

it doesn't make sense that you are in a vehicle you get out and intend to shoot, but oh you cant cast doom because you were in a vehicle when the turn started and all Eldar powers are taken at the START of the turn per the codex.

Pretty sure guide and doom need to be cast at the beginning of the movement phase.

You can do things that happen simultaneously in any order you choose, hence you can come onto the board (including disembark) and cast them, but if the farseer is already on the table (or in a transport on the table) you have to cast them before you disembark.

True (referring to the first post). In our FLGC we have a house rule (was it in a FAQ also? Can´t recall), that you can use fe. Eldrad: Doom,(Guide swapped to Divination, Prescience),Mind War,Fortune and (E.Storm swapped to another Divination power). If you check the 6th ed. rulebook about the "blessings" they are cast in the movement phase, not in the beginning...but...i try to play as RAW as i can (and logically) and i use my powers in the beginning of the turn anyways...i don´t know did this ramble help or confuse more...

to second post : Can you really cast them AFTER you get on to the board? Is this a fact? This would help deployment tremendously...
    Last edited by Lost Vyper; 01-24-2013 at 04:23 AM.

Lost Vyper, here's what the most recent faq says:

Q: Blessings are manifested ‘at the start of the Psyker’s Movement
    phase’ – does this mean they happen simultaneously with Reserves
    rolls, Outflanking rolls etc and if so which is resolved first? (p68)
    A: They do occur simultaneously – as such, the player whose
    turn it is decides in what order these things occur as per
    page 9 of the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook.

It doesnt explicitly state that a Psyker and come on to the board and cast blessings in the same turn, although we can infer that it is implied.

RAW = i will SO do this from now on, come on to the board and then cast . If someone disagrees, show them the FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Vyper View Post
    Eldrad: Doom,(Guide swapped to Divination, Prescience),Mind War,Fortune and (E.Storm swapped to another Divination power).
    You cannot do this. You either use *all* codex powers, or swap them *all* for rulebook powers. Not mix and matching.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
    Lost Vyper, here's what the most recent faq says:

Q: Blessings are manifested ‘at the start of the Psyker’s Movement
    phase’ – does this mean they happen simultaneously with Reserves
    rolls, Outflanking rolls etc and if so which is resolved first? (p68)
    A: They do occur simultaneously – as such, the player whose
    turn it is decides in what order these things occur as per
    page 9 of the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook.

It doesnt explicitly state that a Psyker and come on to the board and cast blessings in the same turn, although we can infer that it is implied.
    I disagree here (though I did think that was what it was getting at) however in the section of the rulebook regarding psychic powers, it specifies that you cant cast blessings the turn you move on from reserves. You could however deepstrike a unit in, and then bless them with a psyker who was already on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by nurglez View Post
    I disagree here (though I did think that was what it was getting at) however in the section of the rulebook regarding psychic powers, it specifies that you cant cast blessings the turn you move on from reserves.
    What the FAQ appears to be pointing out is that there is a distinction between "On a turn that a psyker arrives from reserve (see page 124) he cannot attempt to manifest any psychic powers that must be manifested at the start of the Movement phase" (p 67) and "Blessings are manifested at the start of the Psyker's Movement phase" (p 68) (emphasis added). If you have to cast at the very start of the player's Movement phase, you can't cast on a turn that the psyker moves onto the board. If you can wait until the psyker's turn, as it were, you can still cast on a turn that the psyker moves onto the board. For instance, a blessing allows you to move unit X, then decide to move the psyker, cast, and move the psyker. Several eldar powers such as Doom and Guide, however, "are used at the start of the Eldar turn," so they still appear to me to fall under the page 67 prohibition against casting on the turn the psyker moves onto the board. Essentially, we have:

1. Start of turn - cast Eldar "start of the Eldar turn" powers and make Reserve rolls, in whichever order you prefer.
    2. Move units and cast "start of the Psyker's Movement phase" powers, in whichever order you prefer.

Since a farseer in Reserve doesn't come on until 2, he still can't cast his "start of the Eldar turn" powers.

Brother-Sergeant

Just because you are rolling to determine if a unit becomes available from reserves at the start of the movement phase, that doesn't mean that unit actually moves on to the table during this "start of the movement phase" time period.
    P124 - Arriving from Reserve
    At the start of your turn two you must roll a D6 for each unit being held in reserve... ... If the roll is a 3 or more, that unit arrives this turn (emphasis mine)

Note that it doesn't say immediately.

As I interpret this, you make reserve rolls, outflank rolls and cast blessings all at the start of the movement phase. Once you start actually moving models (including actually bringing in units from reserves) it isn't the start of the movement phase anymore. This is further reenforced by page 125

Unless stated otherwise, a unit cannot charge, or use any abilities or special rules(emphasis mine) that must be used at the start of the turn, in the turn it arrives from reserve.

It sucks, but thats my 2 cents. Eldar need a new book anyways.
    Last edited by Slacker; 01-24-2013 at 12:06 PM. Reason: minor spelling correction
    Richard | Co-Host: Preferred Enemies Podcast | www.preferredenemies.com

Slacker, I agree with that except with with respect to blessings. What the FAQ is saying is that blessings don't have to be cast at the start of the movement phase (i.e., before you move any units); they have to be cast at the start of the model's movement phase. If I move a unit of rangers, I can't then cast Doom because it is no longer the start of my turn. However, I can move a unit of rangers and then cast a blessing. How else are we to make sense of page 67 and the FAQ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast