BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    Abbess Sanctorum

Before anyone says anything, note that the third edition (and thus most recent) codex states that the armor the Sororitas wear provides the same level of protection as that the Astartes wear.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Yes but without the boosting abilities of the Astartes version (see DH corebook)

The autocannon is a weapon much like many others in the 40k universe. It varies from planet to planet, some being able to fire a devastating amount of bullets with smaller (less?) caliber while others fire less shots but more powerful ones.

Even though the power armor of the adeptus astartes are able to turn away autocannon fire and worse there are chinks in the armor. where the flexibilty of the armor makes it impossible to add full protection
    (soul drinker series) (horus heresy series) (space wolves)

It's mentioned in soul drinker that they learn to target the soft areas in the armor to kill their traitor opponents, I assume these to be the parts the joints

Also in a gaunts ghost a las sniper kills a dreadnaught by targeting the eyes. So power armor might turn away powerful shots, it still has it's weak spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellend View Post
    Even though the power armor of the adeptus astartes are able to turn away autocannon fire and worse there are chinks in the armor. where the flexibilty of the armor makes it impossible to add full protection (soul drinker series) (horus heresy series) (space wolves)
    This seems to me to be the critical thing about power armor. Certainly there are situations when it's to a warrior's benefit to be able to charge through a hail of small arms fire, as DarkLink points out. The fact that such a maneuver is even in a sister's or a marine's toolkit is a big deal, and surely has an important psychological impact.

However, I can't imagine any power armored warrior doing this sort of thing on a regular basis and surviving for long. Surely both marines and sisters are keenly aware of the fact that it only takes one lucky shot to bring them down, despite their armor, and are good enough soldiers not to tempt fate like that when they have other options. Why charge across open ground and run the 5% risk that you get popped when you can have your squad mates lay down covering fire and then charge across open ground?

Superior kit isn't about allowing you to be sloppier, it's about allowing you to kick even more *** than you did before. A sister or a marine doesn't get issued power armor and say, "Oh, now I don't have to bother with all that nonsense about fire and movement and the use of cover and supporting fire. I can ignore all that stuff and still come out with the same margin of victory, thanks to my magical power armor." They say, "Oh, now that I have power armor and I know all about fire and movement and the use of cover and supporting fire, it's even more unfair for my opponents!"

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    Superior kit isn't about allowing you to be sloppier, it's about allowing you to kick even more *** than you did before. A sister or a marine doesn't get issued power armor and say, "Oh, now I don't have to bother with all that nonsense about fire and movement and the use of cover and supporting fire. I can ignore all that stuff and still come out with the same margin of victory, thanks to my magical power armor." They say, "Oh, now that I have power armor and I know all about fire and movement and the use of cover and supporting fire, it's even more unfair for my opponents!"
    Exactly Nabterayl, it's about adding extra options. Clearing a building is no longer the traditional room by room, entering through the door business that it is for 'regular' forces. Autosenses now provide exact positions of the enemy within the building, power armour aided strength allows troops to make their own entrances through walls rather than going in through the door etc. These options improve the situation on the battlefield for the power armour wearing units and make it worse for their opponent.

Sure the strength enhanced wall punching trick may be limited to Astartes rather than Sororitas but the Sororitas still gain extra options from having the equipment.
    Cats and Dogs are better than kids because they eat less, don't ask for money and if they get pregnant you can sell their children.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617