BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

It's an analysis of the price breakdowns, y'all are getting hung up on the thread title.

For instance the Slaughterbrute is, in most countries, significantly below the average markup - yet it above in the US. The Deathwing set is actually more marked up in the US (133% vs 108%), yet no significant comment has been made on the price in threads that I've seen. A case of the extra bits / models per box seeming to be more bang for your buck, or is it just that $80 is the ceiling US players will accept regardless? Note how the Slaughterbrute is $10 cheaper than a Land Raider in Australia, yet $10 more than a LR in the US. The Land Raider is oft considered the upper level of non-superheavy vehicles price wise, has going above that threshold been a mistake?

Also the tac squad, what one would expect to be cheaper due to probably being one of the consistently highest selling units is actually one of the most marked up for the farther flung gamer. The talk of emphasis on flyers as a marketing tool also seems to be borne out by the DA flyer being on parity for markup or cheaper, and GW takes advantage of its hobby centre monopoly (or perhaps less monopoly and more keeping people brand loyal - the power of money to be centrally located!) with heavy increases in costs of supplies compared to other areas.
    It will be interesting to see if with GW's scaling back and relocating of store fronts from prime locations if the brand loyalty will fade as gamers are unintentionally sent to indie stores they might not have visited otherwise (I always went to GW due to 1 - great staff, 2 - cool people hanging out and 3 really convenient. 1 and 2 are a non issue as the store has shrunk and moved, thus also rendering 3 moot might as well go elsewhere if it's going to be just as much a hassle).

@ Isotope - Infinity, Reaper and WarMahordes all cost equal to exchange rate here (or less even!), and they're much smaller operations so shipping should really be costing them more if anyone.
    See also the fact that I can personally buy a single FW Wasp War Walker (complete WW kit plus resin parts and additional weapon sprue) and have it shipped here by itself (the least cost effective method of shipping - bulk is cheaper) and it will cost less than buying a plain War Walker in store. If GW have to factor in a 193% markup in the cost of shipping glue, they don't deserve to be in business.

I am of course not discounting shipping being a factor, but it can't be the only factor.

Edit: and before someone brings it up, the minimum wage in Australia is only 10% higher than in the UK.
    Last edited by Gotthammer; 01-26-2013 at 02:52 PM.

GW isn't ripping me off at all. I could just say no to new models... no one is forcing me to buy those

Quote Originally Posted by antennafarm View Post
    i don't feel ripped off at all.

40k is in no way a necessity to life. it's a game - and one game out of a bunch. if it were flour, vegetables, milk, meat, or anything of the sort, okay. but it's not even a tv dinner, "basic" but more expensive than its parts - it's a fine wine. it's not required, it's an extra, it's something that can and should be dropped if finances are hard.

if i want to play cheaply, i can (and do). it's called discipline and having a little self control. being an adult (pardon to you folks that aren't yet).

aussieland, i'm sorry it is more expensive to play 40k - that sucks. but you're not being screwed. you just have to pay more for a particular LUXURY item. be creative: buy less, make deals with friends to swap bits. buy greenstuff and learn to convert/model. since your stores aren't getting much GW support for tournaments, hold tournaments -- with no citadel miniature requirements.

also, perhaps there's more than GW at play here? get out of your microcosm. look at the full tapestry, maybe things are the way they are for a reason (or MANY REASONS).

What this fine gent, or possibly lady said.

This is a hobby people. It's an optional extra life presents us with.

I myself have spent best part of £75 this month alone just on books (Codex Dark Angels, The Greater Good, Neferata and Road of Skulls if anyone is interested) and by comparrison, spent marginally more on my food for the month. Did I have to? By no means. Would I prefer if it was less? Well of course, I'm not an r-tard.

But I spent it because I enjoy it, and will continue to do so for as long as I draw breath. And there friends lies the crux of the matter. GW has played an extremely significant role in my life, and whilst I may not be typical, that makes any price trivial.

Besides, what else I am going to spend my wonga on?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

GW is not ripping me off. All they did was price me out of collecting 40K and LotR or I mean The Hobbit now. So now I just make smaller purchases and less often. Was going to collect all of The Hobbit, but with the price increases, it's not worth it for me anymore and to continue with 40K. Not getting anything for The Hobbit now.

So I just stick with what I have now and maybe a DA purchase or two until Tyranids come out and then buy the codex and a purchase or two, but that is it.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Banned

Mystery, the issue is that whilst you spent £75 and got four books, I would spend that and get two (if that), what with the DA codex costing £56 here. When the hobby you enjoy becomes far too expensive to partake in, it significantly decreases one's enjoyment (or at least you swap brands, see my comment about Infinity et al above).

And before some terribly clever person chimes in with "why don't you take up paintball / golf / sailing / shooting / classic cars / whatever, that's a expensive hobby - X set me back Y thousand [units of currency]" - I'm comparing identical items with themselves, so it is a poor argument to make. I have other hobbies where items cost more individually, but it doesn't change the fact that there is no clear reason why I'm forced (yes, forced, due to the embargo) to pay obscene markups in some cases for an identical product.
    The Australian government has been putting pressure on Apple, Adobe and others over their use of the same practices online with digital downloads so, while it is a long shot, there is potential GW may be required in the future to explain these price differentials.

For whatever reason, they have this weird price structure that everybody always brings up piecemeal when a new release hits, so I thought I'd actually do some maths and get concrete figures and comparisons for people to look at, as well as relative incomes and costs of living (as those are often included in these arguments).

Iron Father

The only think I did notice was the iPad version of the Warriors of Chaos army book is actually cheaper than the Dark Angels one. I thought the Warhammer armie books and the 40k Codeci (or what ever the hell the plural is) were priced the same.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Iron Father

Our Aussie friends have had a rough deal as far as GW and prices go though. I think I recall its cheaper for Australians to buy from FW for the most part. If this is the case then something is surely amiss with GWs international pricing policies.

I also do think personally that GW maybe getting to that pricing point now were they could reasonable start losing sales, maybe not turnover but sales. I have always said its an expensive hobby but there are ways to still enjoy it on a budget. eBay and the very good for value starter sets are good ways to start. But I do worry when GW start selling 1 single model such as that new chaos beastie for £50, well I think that's a bit much especially as that model really isn't that special.
    Last edited by Deadlift; 01-26-2013 at 05:14 PM.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

I feel that I get an excellent value for every precious greenback I spend. I get SO MUCH enjoyment and fulfillment out of this hobby. I have as yet to begrudge GW their profits for the wonderfulness that they sell me.

I just bought the Horus Heresy book from Forgeworld. It is one of the nicest, best written, best put together tomes I've ever seen. I've had many hours of enjoyment pouring over it... it cost me over $110 since it was priced in Sterling! It has been worth every cent. Cheers.
    Looking for a game in the San Antonio area? You can find me here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/175757472448931/

I HATE these discussions. I could make you all feel bad, but I won't, because this type of argument is degrading.... I enjoy the hobby, I'll pay for it.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Fly Lord

There are really separate conversations here.

First up, yes the Australian pricing structure is harsh. It is a tough spot for all sides of he equation. GW wants to keep margins up with the higher cost of business in Australia compared to the EU or NA. AUS customers don't want to feel like they are being singled out for markedly higher prices than others around the globe.

Second is the differences between that AUS price differential from line to line and even model to model.

I think as other have said we are at the cusp of seeing the price peak in the Australian market. As some point a company does reach a price ceiling where further increases degrade sales an a clip that outshines the extra margins and hurt the bottom line. Also now consider that this price peak varies from system to system. Even within GW, it could easily be that Fantasy sales are dropping off at a faster rate than 40k. If that were true, you would expect any business to begins to slowly and methodically begin to walk back that AUS differential in whatever system is most ailing until they find that equilibrium again.

I have this funny feeling that with the rapid release of both Dark Angels and Warriors of Chaos we are seeing this pricing policy adjustment play out before out eyes.

-Larry
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast