BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making bullets

Chapter-Master

Default Making bullets

Afternoon peoples of the interweb

So yes, making bullets? I'm not 100% sure how to do it. I have many pieces of plastic rod that are the right calibre for the Flakka gunz I am making for Da Buzzmork, but I don't seem to be able to make them bullet shaped particularly well.

I have tried using my rotary tool as a lathe, and shaping the end of the bullets with my hobby knives and files. In both cases, I get a really great shape on one side, but because the plastic rod is so thin, it flexes and the other side remains practically flat no matter what I try.

I have tried just shaping them with the knife manually, but that still ends up looking too uneven and lumpy, even for orky standards. Using my files I just end up wearing away the rod without making a decent shape.

I did try a pencil sharpener, but the rods are too thin for the blades and ended up going straight through.

Does any one have any other suggestions or know of any tutorials that might help? My google-fu seems to be failing me so far
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Chapter-Master

Surely green stuffing a cone on the end of a stick would do it

Also what size bullets we talking here? Autogun rounds, bolts or Mega-Gatla rounds?

If its big rounds, consider something like this as a greenstuff mould...

Last edited by DrLove42; 01-28-2013 at 11:03 AM.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

They're gonna fit down these barrels

Here's a crazy idea, but what about grains of rice, maybe wrapped/dipped in something to make the thick end of the cartridge?
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Chapter-Master

isn't there an aftermarket hamster round that would work with that?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

woops, didn't see that last bit about already trying a pencil sharpener.

have you tried makeup pencil sharpeners? they're for sharpening eyeliner pencils. They're built a little different then a normal pencil sharpener.
    Last edited by Warptiger; 01-30-2013 at 12:16 AM.

Chapter-Master

Hadn't thought of a makeup pencil sharpenner no. I'm off in to town later, so I'll have to see if I can find one (at a reasonable price) and see if it'll work

Quote Originally Posted by SotonShades View Post
    Afternoon peoples of the interweb
    I have tried using my rotary tool as a lathe, and shaping the end of the bullets with my hobby knives and files. In both cases, I get a really great shape on one side, but because the plastic rod is so thin, it flexes and the other side remains practically flat no matter what I try.
    Using a rotary tool as a lathe should work.

Make a cutting tool by breaking off the tip of an xacto knife. Use a pair of pliers and snap it off so that the back is longer than the edge. Use the back side of the blade to cut. hold it so the blade touches the rod just below center with the rod turning so it comes down on the blade. Take light cuts.

Keep the amount of rod sticking out as short as possible. You may even want to cut the first half of the bullet tip then extend the rod a bit further out and make your finish cuts.

It may help to make the rotary tool setup a bit more rigid. Strap the tool to a board using clamps or zip ties. Make a rest for the cutting tool.

Looks like your going with a 1/16th inch rod for your bullet size.
    Regardless, lay down a sheet of fine sandpaper; maybe 400 grit. Hold your plastic rod at 25-60 degrees angle and roll it along the sandpaper. This should give you a clean tapered end. Then use a razor knife to make a clean cut as far back as you want your shell casing to be. Repeat for each bullet. Since its orky you don't have to make each one exact.

Chapter-Master

I've tried both of those approaches, but thank you for contributing. With the Rotary tool, the rod was just oscillating because it was so thin, no matter how close to the chuck I put the cutting blade. As soon as a small cut was made, the rod was bouncing, so only one side would get shaped. It did work quite nicely for making a groove to mark the end of the shell casing and the firing cap though.

With the sand paper, I couldn't get it reliably even because the rod was so thin. No better than cutting the bullet heads by hand really. As I want to make a good number, I don't want to use too much rod up using more and more length trying to get them right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast