BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Grand Tournament in Minneapolis, MN [Renegade Open GT]

Hey everyone I have been working with a lot of the local vendors, clubs, and store owners in the Minneapolis/ St. Paul area for some time now to develop a community driven tournament. Recently this dream has been made into a reality and I am proud to announce a new Grand Tournament event called The Renegade Open Grand Tournament. This is a 100 person event that will consist of 2 days worth of Warhammer 40,000 games with the possibility to win tons of prizes in multiple categories. We will be providing over $2000 in prizes and giveaways for our inaugural year and hope to see as many people there as possible. Please stop over to our website and check us out when you get a chance and if you are able to swing over and like our facebook page!

[URL="http://www.renegadeopen.com/"]http://www.renegadeopen.com/[/URL]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Renegade-Open-GT/436841713038426"]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Renegade-Open-GT/436841713038426[/URL]
    Ahhh- I might be having a heart attack!! I am over weight, over fifty and I am speedballing tranq darts and pure adrenaline!!

Chapter-Master

Bah. No forgeworld is bunk. Anything that has the 40k stamp should be allowed. Tau could really use some Hazard Suits.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    Bah. No forgeworld is bunk. Anything that has the 40k stamp should be allowed. Tau could really use some Hazard Suits.
    I understand that people enjoy using Forgeworld models, especially if you spent the money to get them, at the same time though we want this tournament to be an even playing field for all. We hope to expand in future years with more events and as we do we may include an Apocalypse style tournament as well. This of course is going to be strongly influenced by how quickly the event grows and how many participants we get in our inaugural year. I thank you for your feedback at this time though and hope to see you there!
    Ahhh- I might be having a heart attack!! I am over weight, over fifty and I am speedballing tranq darts and pure adrenaline!!

Quote Originally Posted by Denied View Post
    I understand that people enjoy using Forgeworld models, especially if you spent the money to get them, at the same time though we want this tournament to be an even playing field for all. We hope to expand in future years with more events and as we do we may include an Apocalypse style tournament as well. This of course is going to be strongly influenced by how quickly the event grows and how many participants we get in our inaugural year. I thank you for your feedback at this time though and hope to see you there!
    <Laughs> If you want it to be an even playing field for all, you should allow Forge World. That is one of the few avenues some factions have to equalize the imbalance. To each there own I suppose. I like my Forge World models and use them. I don't participate in tournaments that don't allow the ones marked 40K Ok.

Chapter-Master

Yeah, uh, didn't you read my post?
    Hazard Suits are good for Tau...

There are many units that balance out the old codexes by adding Forge World.

They wouldn't have gone through the trouble of adding the 40k approved logo if things were not meant to be used in 40k.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Veteran-Sergeant

I think the biggest barrier is how so many of the FW rules are spread among a large number of books and they aren't as commonly known as codex units. FW really would do themselves a favor if they released PDFs for each and every model they sell with the most up to date rules. FW is for the models after all

I do assume that FW models using codex rules are perfectly OK (especially since I just got 10 FW power armored marines that will be my Sternguard).

On a different note. A frakkin' GT in my neck of the woods. I pretty much have to consider going to this one

Congratulations on getting your tournament together! Organizing something like that is no mean feat.

As for the even playing field ... I'm not in your area, so take this as a question from an outsider without an interest in the result.

Is the concern really access to rules? If so, on the one hand you have opponents being prejudiced by maybe not knowing in advance what every model in the game can do.* But on the other hand, you have opponents being prejudiced by not having access to their full arsenal. The former doesn't really outweigh the latter, in my opinion. Since you have a right to know what every model in your opponent's army can do (... don't you?), the situation seems no less even to me than a new codex being released. There are some new models/units thrown into the tournament mix, and if they're popular on the tournament scene, the tournament scene will soon become familiar with them.

* Out of curiosity, I wonder how many of your participants actually make it a point to buy every codex in the game. If the answer is not very many, then I don't think Forge World models can be objected to on the basis of rules unavailability.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    Congratulations on getting your tournament together! Organizing something like that is no mean feat.

As for the even playing field ... I'm not in your area, so take this as a question from an outsider without an interest in the result.

Is the concern really access to rules? If so, on the one hand you have opponents being prejudiced by maybe not knowing in advance what every model in the game can do.* But on the other hand, you have opponents being prejudiced by not having access to their full arsenal. The former doesn't really outweigh the latter, in my opinion. Since you have a right to know what every model in your opponent's army can do (... don't you?), the situation seems no less even to me than a new codex being released. There are some new models/units thrown into the tournament mix, and if they're popular on the tournament scene, the tournament scene will soon become familiar with them.

* Out of curiosity, I wonder how many of your participants actually make it a point to buy every codex in the game. If the answer is not very many, then I don't think Forge World models can be objected to on the basis of rules unavailability.
    While Forgeworld models are cool and the rules are not necessarily broken for tournament play, we as a tournament are not allowing Forgeworld in our tournament with the following explanation. As a community we support our local stores with our business. With this in mind, the stores in our community do not sell Forgeworld models. With the amount of store support for our tournament through prizes and gift cards for winners, we want to stock the prize pool with prizes our stores can supply. Also, as a TO to make calls on rules that you are not familiar with is not the best form of judgement. Lastly, the cost to purchase all of the books that could have models allowed in a tournament are not justifiable at this time for our team. This doesn't mean we won't allow Forgeworld models in the future Renegade Open GT or other future events.

Quote Originally Posted by flekkzo View Post
    I think the biggest barrier is how so many of the FW rules are spread among a large number of books and they aren't as commonly known as codex units. FW really would do themselves a favor if they released PDFs for each and every model they sell with the most up to date rules. FW is for the models after all

I do assume that FW models using codex rules are perfectly OK (especially since I just got 10 FW power armored marines that will be my Sternguard).

On a different note. A frakkin' GT in my neck of the woods. I pretty much have to consider going to this one
    Yes, you are more then welcome to use the Forgworld models to represent regular Warhammer 40,000 codex units. I look forward to seeing your Sternguard!

Adepticon and Nova both do not allow Forgeworld in the championships at this point. The balance between allowing Forgeworld and not allowing them is very slim for most tournaments right now. Like our statement about Forgeworld for our tournament says, the biggest issue we have is the cost of the rules for us and the knowledge of the rules for Forgeworld. If Forgeworld was sold locally I could see us using it in our tournament.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast