BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Flyer question

Default Flyer question

So would it be a bad idea to use the flyer stand while the flyer is zooming but should I decide to hover for a turn to remove the stand?

The flying stand typically allows the unit in question to be seen from almost anywhere on the field which seriously limits the ability to hide the now Hovering flyer, even if it would be for 1 turn to either drop off units or just change direction to keep it on the board longer.

Chapter-Master

Flyers stay on the stand. Rules dictate that, hovering or not, there are specific ways of measuring to flyer units for shooting, assault, and disembarkation. Those rules necessitate the use of the flyer base. It's not that big of a deal, particularly in casual games, but it does make a difference. In particular, on a flyer base it's extremely difficult to get a cover save from terrain, but if you remove the base it's very easy. Jink saves mean that this won't matter most of the time, but it will matter sometimes.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

It really only matters to me when i drop my vendettas into hover for 1 turn to drop the stormtroopers right on top of the enemy, no scattering. I guess If i plan how the vendettas last turn movement ends i could drop them off in hover mode and still move 18" to get the jink save.

Librarian

you could get another flying base, and have the second one cut down to simulate it hovering/ skimming just a few meters off the ground. What can your opponent do? You have just put it on another GW base to represent it is in Hover mode (to remind yourself LOL).
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

Chaplain

Unfortunately that's known as "modelling for an advantage" and is not allowed in the rules, although as a house rule amongst a gaming group you may want to allow it.

However the rules are quite clear, you must keep the flyer on the flying stand provided when either in hover or zoom mode, as has been pointed out the jink save compensates for this.

But yes, it is tricky getting a lot of flyers, especially the Valk and Vendetta into cover on the stand, but then again I think the rules for flyers more than make up for this.

I would not see that as modeling for advantage. Having two different stands one for zooming and a shorter one for hovering, would be in the sprit of "foraging a narrative". Magnetize them so that you can change quickly... and also can even have it land if you wanted to, not that you would most times but it could be an option.

I have two models for my flying hive tyrant, one is on a flight stand for valkyrie/stormtalon ect. mounted on a 60mm base, not the big oval for Fliers. The other is with its feet on the ground and wings half folded. The flying one is half green stuff so I could have it with wings outstretched and body horizontal so it looks like its actually flying. I interchange them depending on whether its swooping or gliding. I have had nothing but complements on this...

Chapter-Master

Yes, but sticking a hive tyrant on a flying base is modeling for disadvantage, so no one is going to care.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Anakzar View Post
    ... I have two models for my flying hive tyrant, one is on a flight stand for valkyrie/stormtalon ect. mounted on a 60mm base, not the big oval for Fliers. The other is with its feet on the ground and wings half folded. The flying one is half green stuff so I could have it with wings outstretched and body horizontal so it looks like its actually flying. I interchange them depending on whether its swooping or gliding. I have had nothing but complements on this...
    I agree with DarkLink here. But.... Where are the pics of this!?
    Melissia Wrote: "I think the secret to getting more people to stop calling you an arrogant elitist douchebag is to stop being an arrogant elitist douchebag."

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Yes, but sticking a hive tyrant on a flying base is modeling for disadvantage, so no one is going to care.
    Indeed, People only get pissy if it doesn't benefit them. And i know my local players would get annoyed if I try to bend the rules to my favor. Oh well, I'll just have to kill off anything that could pose a threat to my flyers first turn they show up.