BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RAW vs RAI

Brother-Sergeant

I find RAI to be a far more entertaining way to play, not necessarily "better, and no we don't try to make certain units "better", we just don't allow things like Dreads moon walking into close combat in order to prevent someone from shooting it's ***. RAW can be taken advantage of just as easily as RAI can, we (my friends and I) just like to discuss what would make sense in a real life situation as it pulls us into the game. I have a very fluffy play group. I'm sure if we were tournie players we would like RAW more, but we prefer a route that helps "suck us into the game" so to speak.

Abbess Sanctorum

Again, that might be what you do, but the people in this thread are speaking of abusing RAW. RAI is even worse when it comes to abuse as it's far, far easier to abuse.

What did GW intend? Obviously, whatever makes your army more powerful.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    Again, that might be what you do, but the people in this thread are speaking of abusing RAW. RAI is even worse when it comes to abuse as it's far, far easier to abuse.

What did GW intend? Obviously, whatever makes your army more powerful.
    You're %100 correct, it all depends on the people you play with, a lot of people do try to give themselves the advantage. Your point is even further substantiated by the fact that most of the time these situations are discovered during an actual game where the decision is going to obviously give one person the advantage in that specific situation.

But these decisions rarely give a specific army the advantage all the time, it's usually just in that specific situation, and if everyone is aware of how we're going to play those situations from here on out no one army is gaining an advantage because of it.

If you don't play with people you trust then sure, this can go south quickly, but if you like to throw down with honest folk it works just fine.

Librarian

Haha, nearly coated my monitor with Coke after reading the moonwalking Dreadnaught bit! That gave me a hilarious image in my mind!

40K is too haphazardly written for a strictly RAW approach to work. You need some common sense to work through the contradictions and omissions that are everywhere.

Abbess Sanctorum

The vast majority of RAW is fairly clear cut. RAI is NEVER clear cut unless you assume RAW is RAI. :P
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12