BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Special Characters: Yes or No?

I got into a discussion with a friend about the seeming increase in Special Character usage in 5th Edition. I think they have become too prevalent, he thinks they are just fine. My dislike for their use is deep enough that I don't think they should be used in games less than 2000 points.

What say you, and why?

Brother-Captain

I don't use them. Period. My opinion is if you can't win without them you're not a good player.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Veteran-Sergeant

I have yet to use a Special Character in a game; however, the majority of my losses to date have been to armies using Special Characters. Before the new SM codex, I had a pretty good win record. After the SM codex, I keep going up against "counts as" Vulcan lists or "counts as" Shrike lists or "counts as" Grimmar list. Kind of irritating.

SJ

I think they're ok, but I haven't seen them used all that often.

I think we the players need to start adapting to GW's special character philosophy.

Would Grimnar be as hated if he was the exact same model but his name was "Grand Wolf" and the fluff was generic? Would a "Master of the Storm" be as reviled if he wasn't named Njal?

I personally don't use any Special Characters because I like having the item customization of the generic choices. I have nothing against them though.

Counts as units should be much more prevalent.
    Trying to come up with some mechanicum assassin in your guard army? Counts as Marbo!
    Rogue Apothecary? Smart Chaos Spawn? Devoted of Vaul?

All these can be done with some simple counts as loving. I just don't think anyone would have as many problems if they had different names. Would you hate "Chapter Master Vikrum" if he had the exact same profile and equipment options as a Chapter Master?

It used to be they were ridiculous. Now a days they still are, but they cost a chunk of points. Njal still only has 2 wounds, you get something into hand to hand with him early and he is hurting. The hero's aren't as crazy as we like to think they are. It's time for our view of characters to evolve.
    Last edited by Miggidy Mack; 10-27-2009 at 03:27 PM.

Brother-Captain

I play space marines and hate tactical marines (go go Terminators), so I require special characters to make the list legal (aka Belial). That said, some special characters are absolute monsters that tear things up. Some are very modest, though. It's the 250 point monsters that tend to cause problems.

Chapter-Master

I don't object to them per se - I must have faith in the points giving them balance as it is that and the dice gives you a even chance of winning from the start.

What I object to is the 5th ed system of characters unlocking an ability. Yes I like your army. I like their colour scheme, your invented fluff is top quality. You have however, lowered yourself in my esteem by taking Hestan because you are a melta whore and think there is not something odd about him being seen in 85% of all marine armies.

Didn't 2ed do stuff like Al Rahem can only be taken in a Talarn arrmy? Why couldn't we have this now - if it aint Salamander etc he stays at home.

Rant over, byeeeee.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    What I object to is the 5th ed system of characters unlocking an ability.
    I have to agree here. Rather than sticking a special army-changing rule on a named character, give it to a standard HQ. That way you don't have Vulkan He'stan running around an Ultramarines army, and you don't have to bring Belial, Master of the Deathwing, to a 1000 point game to run terminators as troops.

I'd much rather have the option to take a Captain in terminator armor that allows terminators to count as troops, or maybe some special techpriest HQ that works like Vulcan's chapter tactics.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lerra View Post
    I have to agree here. Rather than sticking a special army-changing rule on a named character, give it to a standard HQ. That way you don't have Vulkan He'stan running around an Ultramarines army, and you don't have to bring Belial, Master of the Deathwing, to a 1000 point game to run terminators as troops.

I'd much rather have the option to take a Captain in terminator armor that allows terminators to count as troops, or maybe some special techpriest HQ that works like Vulcan's chapter tactics.
    Here Here.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

I most definitely agree about that. Unlocking should be something regular commanders do. That, however, isn't the players fault. I would certainly allow my friends to field a Deathwing without the special character.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast