BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Here in Madrid, Spain, they´re closing the 4 stores we have and relocating them into smaller stores and one man stores... no play boards, no painting classes, only direct sales
    Lord Macragge and wielder of the Ultramar´s Gauntlets

I have no problem with painting stations being reserved for beginners only as i dont use them and to be honest it does prevent people from hanging around chatting (which i agree with GW, shouldnt really happen, it isnt a social club). However i do have an issue with reduced gaming time. Ours is 4pm - 7:30pm which allows 4 players to get two 2 hour games played 4-6pm and another 4 players get two 1 1/2 hour games played. Any reduction and id have to reconsider going to my local and spending money there.
    I have a blog, check it out :P - http://forthegloryofgorkandmork.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/tau-xv8-02-commander.html - just updated my blog 11/04/13

OrksOrksOrks - do you have a link, I'd love to see this guy's posts
    I have a blog, check it out :P - http://forthegloryofgorkandmork.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/tau-xv8-02-commander.html - just updated my blog 11/04/13

GW is a shop, its not a place for grown men to hang out, you don't realise it, but a lot of the "veterans" actually put new people of starting, I've seen cool looking people looking at the models, interested and then take one look at the losers hanging out in the shop and run away, or even worse, get approached by a smelly hambeast who lectures them on the merits of Space Wolves over other Space Marines.

Don't have any links though sorry, I am at work and some sites don't work on our ancient version of Internet Explorer, I saw him post of Warseer and Something Awfuls 40K thread at least, and somewhere else, can't remeber now.
    Last edited by OrksOrksOrks; 02-06-2013 at 04:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OrksOrksOrks View Post
    GW is a shop, its not a place for grown men to hang out, you don't realise it, but a lot of the "veterans" actually put new people of starting, I've seen cool looking people looking at the models, interested and then take one look at the losers hanging out in the shop and run away, or even worse, get approached by a smelly hambeast who lectures them on the merits of Space Wolves over other Space Marines.
    All I can say is that your "community" or lack thereof across the water must be very different than here in the States. I used to think it would be nice to go play over there, but not anymore. You sound like a particularly unfriendly lot. Over here the people who play at the stores (and by that I mean the various game stores not the worthless GW locations) are friendly and account for most of the recruitment of new players. They see us playing and come ask us about the game.

Chapter-Master

The unfriendliness increases as you travel south, by the time you reach Cambridge you don't speak to people you don't know or make eye contact...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    All I can say is that your "community" or lack thereof across the water must be very different than here in the States. I used to think it would be nice to go play over there, but not anymore. You sound like a particularly unfriendly lot. Over here the people who play at the stores (and by that I mean the various game stores not the worthless GW locations) are friendly and account for most of the recruitment of new players. They see us playing and come ask us about the game.

This is exactly what i mean, smelly warhams don't seem to realise that they're smelly warhams, you think you're being friendly and inclusive but actually it just puts people off

This is exactly what i mean, smelly warhams don't seem to realise that they're smelly warhams, you think you're being friendly and inclusive but actually it just puts people off
    Thats extremely presumptuous. Not all veteran gamers are smelly, know it all rub it in your faces types. At our local we have recently had a surge in new players, two-three of which hang out with what i would call "the core" group outside of gamesworkshop as well. We are an accepting bunch, and don't intimidate new people. far from it. Yes there will always be the sort that are off putting, but often they are unliked by all, and you shouldn't punish the majority due to a select few.

And towards you other post about GW not being a place for grown men to "hang out". I think you miss part of the enjoyment of the hobby. Wargaming has a social aspect. people share stories, techniques, ideas. It's what makes it fun. If it was turn up smash my opponent to bits then leave it would kill all/any of the fun (for me and many others at least), This would also have a discouraging effect on beginners and younger players as they also enjoy the social aspect, and just playing "the game" isn't exactly that fun for a lot of younger players (who often make the rules up as they go, and good on them). Yes Gamesworkshop is a shop but they are also hobby centres. They are called this by GW themselves. Not everyone has the means or the money to have the same set up that there is in-store. The reason veteran customers remain loyal, is because of these perks, and the social aspect. Some gaming clubs can become stale due to lack of "new" people. GW stores bring an ever changing dimension. The perks of painting instore are also why i am willing to pay above prices for their products. If this changes. Then i have no problems shopping elsewhere and saving money or dropping their products entirely.

Charming. They should use you for sales. I'm not sure what part of them coming over to ask us about the game makes you think we are putting people off. Moreover, you will have to explain how being friendly and inclusive puts people off. Is that a cultural difference between you and I? Over here, whether you are talking about games or sports or just hanging out for drinks... being friendly and inclusive is seen as a good thing. Should I remember to be unfriendly and exclusive when I visit so I can fit in?

Chapter-Master

As I said before Caitsidhe, literally the further south you go the less you interact with people you don't know.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast