BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chaplain

Default is this a good remover? and is this good green stuff?

so I have a lot of models that I have painted (over 50) and I like how they look like in squads but not as an army so my question is Simple Green a good plastic resin paint remover. I don'd want glue to come off or the plastics to dissolve.

I also need to remodel a lot of guys, I know how I want to model them and I was wondering if this is good Green stuff [url]http://www.bolsmarket.com/servlet/the-9905/Army-Painter-cln--Tool-Kneadite/Detail[/url]
    Last edited by heretic marine; 02-05-2013 at 06:23 PM.
    Read this www.scribd.com/doc/123508033/Warhammer-40-000-6th-Edition-Codex-Adeptus-Aribites Then fill this out www.surveymonkey.com/s/LCFWXNV thanks

Brother-Captain

I can't answer the paint remover question, but the Green STuff question is easy. "Green Stuff" is green stuff, is green stuff. It's all from the same manufacturer, just repackaged by each hobby company differently. Just look for the best price for the amount you need.

Veteran-Sergeant

Several of my friends have used Simple Green with great success. The only drawback is the time. They have reported it takes two or three days to really get all of the paint off from metal, plastic, and resin without any deformation, melting, or major problems.

I personally use brake fluid for my stripping. (MUST STRESS FLUID). Give your models a good soak over 24 hrs and it comes off just by using your fingers. Use a toothbrush for the hard to reach recesses. Does not damage metal, resin, or plastic. It does weaken super glue though. Which is not that bad, you just have to re-glue.

Now when I stress FLUID, I mean FLUID. I had a friend who forgot this point and used brake cleaner. He promptly melted a Land Raider into a pile of goo.
    On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died.

Brake fluid will work, but, its a lot of hassle and honestly its terrible for the environment, Simple Green if you're in the US or Dettol if you're in the UK are great, very easy to work with and won't melt plastic or resin.

As for Green Stuff, its really called Kneadite, mini designers, i think it started in GW, not sure, nicknamed it green stuff, because it is green, they then started selling it on as Green Stuff and the name stuck, but really any Kneadite 2-part epoxy resin is the same, never buy it from GW, the mark up is ridiculous.

Personally, I find it slightly too tacky to work with raw, it seems to stick to things it shouldn't no matter how much vaseline or water I use, so I like to mix it with another product called Milliput, makes it nicer to work with, generally 50/50 Green Stuff to Milliput, but if it needs to be sharper, I'll up the green stuff ratio

Occuli Imperator

I can attest for Dettol

Here look at my minis stripped bare:

[url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?27672-Blood-Angels-3rd-Company-Ironhelms/page2[/url]
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chaplain

thanks all. I will take a look at Milliput.
    Read this www.scribd.com/doc/123508033/Warhammer-40-000-6th-Edition-Codex-Adeptus-Aribites Then fill this out www.surveymonkey.com/s/LCFWXNV thanks

I'm using simple green to strip old plastic marines, it seems to work OK, but it can take a few days of soaking. Your still going to be doing some fine detail work with a hobby knife to get all of the paint out of the hard to reach areas.

As a paramount example I have performed, I can attest that Simple Green will not only strip the paint, but won't harm the plastic at all. I left various bits in a bucket long enough for the gallon of Simple Green to turn from a liquid to some sort of gelatinous goo to a crystallized mess glued to the bits. I bit of water and some scrubbing and they were perfectly fine. Funny what you learn when you lose interest in the hobby for a while and come back to your "works in progress".
    “Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Chaplain

turn from a liquid to some sort of gelatinous goo to a crystallized mess glued to the bits
    a goo? then crystallized? lol, guess I will make sure to keep an eye on them.

Chaplain

I got some Simple Green. now I want the models fully submerged, right? and how long did it take for the goo to form? also is it OK to reuse Simple Green to strip paint off of other models? and it takes a couple days for plastics but not as long for metals, is there a way to tell if it is done?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast