BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Forces of the Inquisiton - A first draft (unofficial) codex idea.

I have been reading some of my older codices recently and stumbled across Witch-Hunters and Daemon-Hunters.
    After re-reading the books my interest was sparked once again but after trawling the webway I found nothing on forums or official sites to suggest that there is going to be more from GW concerning the Inquisition.
    With this in mind I have started to put together an unofficial codex for use in friendly games.
    The basic Idea is that all the units will use stats and points costs of units from other codices. They will simply have different special rules and names. (For example, the deathwatch kill-team is essentially a sternguard squad with a few tweaks)

So far this is the army list that I have put together.

HQ
    Inquisitor Lord (1)
    • Mandatory HQ option. Must choose one of the 4 inquisitorial paths. Hereticus, Xenos, Malleus or Sigillus*.

Inquisitorial Henchmen. Numbers between 3-12. Options are; Warrior, Bound Daemonhost, Death Cult Assassin, Servitor, Acolyte, Familiar, Chirurgeon
    • Do not take up a HQ slot. Maximum of 3 of any type of henchmen. Any bonuses they confer do not stack

Master Assassin (0-1)
    • Only available to Sigillus Inquisitors. They must be from a specific temple

Grey Knight Brother Captain (0-1)
    • Only Available to Malleus Inquisitors

Adepta Sororitas Heroine (0-1)
    • Only Available to Hereticus Inquisitors

Deathwatch Brother Captain (0-1)
    • Only Available to Xenos Inquisitors

Priests (0-5 Do not take up a HQ slot)
    • Do not take up a HQ slot. Each priest must be attached to a different unit. They Can not be attached to Ordo specific units (such as deathwatch)

Dedicated Transports – Rhino, Chimaera, Land Raider
    • Optional transports for HQ/Elite/Troop choices and any attached independent special characters. They can gain specific upgrades dependant on your Inquisitors Ordo

ELITE
    Grey Knight Squad
    (0-2 Sigillus, 0-3 Malleus, 0 Xenos/Hereticus)
    • Follow the above constrictions on unit amounts. Dependant on your Inquisitor Lords Alliegance

Battle Sisters Squad
    (0-2 Sigillus, 0-3 Hereticus, 0 Malleus/Xenos)
    • Follow the above constrictions on unit amounts. Dependant on your Inquisitor Lords Alliegance

Deathwatch Kill Team
    (0-2 Sigillus, 0-3 Xenos, 0 Hereticus/Malleus)

Officio Assassinorum Operative (0-2)
    • Must be from a specific temple

TROOPS
    Inquisitorial Stormtroopers
    • Elite troopers that have been trained to work alongside Inquisitors

Adeptus Arbites Enforcers
    • Lawkeepers of the local planet/population

Conscripted Guardsmen
    • Standard Guardsmen that have been conscripted by the Inquisitor

Penal Legion (0-1)
    • Repentant prisoners often used as cannon fodder or meat shields

FAST ATTACK
    Arco-Flagellants
    • Special rules concerning trigger words

Arbites Bikers
    • Arbites Enforcers on bikes

Valkyrie Gunship
    • Requisitioned by the inquisitor or a personal transport

Strike Team
    • A team of specially armed stormtroopers mounted in a rhino. Three different specs. Blitz/Search & Destroy/Reinforce. This is bought as one package for one set amount of points

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Orbital Strike (0-1)
    • May only be used if the Inquisitor is on the table

Manticore/Deathstrike Missile Launcher
    • Requisitioned by the inquisitor

Redemptionists
    • Stormtrooper squadron armed with a variety of Heavy Weapons

Penitent Engine
    • A walker containing the body of a traitor (or similar) who fights to prove his loyalty to the Emperor

*As a side note, Sigillus Inquisitors are something of my own creation. They are inquisitors that perhaps trained with one of the three major ordos but have decided to go "free agent" so that they can fight a broader scope of the emperors enemies. Whilst not an official ordo, the background will state that their numbers are growing.

Any questions or comments please post.

Occuli Imperator

From your list it appears that you have your troops in order of "elitness"

Stormtroopers->Arbites->Guardsmen->Penal

Given the Stormtrooper slight difference between the Stormtroopers and Guardsmen I'll be interested to see how you slip Arbites into this.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Essentially the idea is that;
    Stormtroopers - Will be the unit from the Imperial guard/witchhunters codex, hellguns and all that jazz.
    Arbites/Guardsmen - Essentially the same unit (which I may end up combining anyway) But where guardsmen use the standard lasgun, combat knife combo. Arbites have a choice of either shotguns or Power mauls and riot shields. They will probably have a very similar stat-line just different equipment options. I am thinking of combining these into one choice (PDF rather than guardsmen) and just giving the options for people to equip them in whichever of the three ways they like. They can then say "oh their arbites" or "Just regular PDF guys".
    Penal Legion - This is added in as a homage to the old Last Chancers models. I've never seen a unit with as much character. They will most likely have slightly lower stats, be led by a commisar who is likely to shoot them at any given time and all be equipped with the equivalent of laspistols and close combat weapons. As is tradition with most troop choices there will be the option to arm two of them with heavy weapons and two with special weapons. Their designed to be cheap and expendable but also I'm hoping will promote kit-bashing and squad backgrounds being thrown in.

Occuli Imperator

I like that idea so the arbites are "close combat" orientated in the classical traditions
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chaplain

Interesting, because lack of time on my part I can't write that much (in a hurry), I will say interesting and that you should add the Reppressor transport.
    Read this www.scribd.com/doc/123508033/Warhammer-40-000-6th-Edition-Codex-Adeptus-Aribites Then fill this out www.surveymonkey.com/s/LCFWXNV thanks

Where would I find rules for aforementioned "Repressor" :P Sounds dangerous.

Brother-Sergeant

Hmm. The idea of the Sigillus is interesting, but I think it breaks from both a Fluff standpoint and a balance standpoint. In the fluff, Inquisitors changing ordos is met with suspicion from other Inquisitors, so I think one going "Free Agent" would likely be labeled "Hereticus Extremis" by the Inquisition. The "Sigillus" is the only one that can access the Assassin temples and has access to all of the Chambers Militant? Broken in balance and fluff. The Sisters don't trust the Deathwatch, the Deathwatch don't trust anybody, and the Grey Knights kill or mindwipe everyone that works with them with very few exceptions.

Going back to the Inquisitor Rulebook, there are mentions of individual cells of Inquisitors that work on behalf of smaller Ordos. They all eventually link back to one of the three major ones, but this is where my initial idea for the Sigillus came from.
    In previous incarnations of Inquisition based rules there have been mentions of allied forces and the Witch-hunters codex shows grey knights working alongside Sisters.
    I understand that there would be enmity between the three groups but the idea is more that a player picks a major ordo and plays that. However if they do select Sigillus as their path, the army list represents a mustering of forces to deal with a large threat to the imperium.
    In the case of whether the three units would work side by side, If an Inquisitor lord requested it then it would be difficult to refuse.
    I don't know for sure but I would think that if a threat was big enough the differing factions would put their disagreements aside and come to the aid of an agent of Terra when he needed them.
    I am not discrediting your point, I may have to adjust my fluff and rules to represent the alliances and how and why they would work on the tabletop.

*As a final note to address the balance issue. I could change it so that Sigillus Inquisitors only have access to 1 of each of the elite choices. And each of the three elite choices are numbers low/points high units. So the more you have the less models you would be able to field on the tabletop. I'm working on including an emnity rule to adjust how the squads would interact with each other
    Last edited by RobinTrevize; 02-06-2013 at 08:46 AM. Reason: *Note on balance

Chapter-Master

if you have the good old "we actually can kill deamons instead of being fancy marines" GK you are amazing.

also if you want details eisenhorn is good for a look at the world of a =][= whilst grey knights has a lot of info on the inquisitons fortresses, practices and stuffs. (and GK)
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

I think an Orbital Strike is way out there, personally. If the Inquisitor is willing and able to call in a orbital strike, then he's just going to nuke the place from orbit - it's the only way to be sure. ::grin::

From a fluff POV, any of the three main Orders can requisition assassins.

As far as the Sigillite goes, that sounds kind of like an Inquisitor operating under Special Circumstances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast