BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Page 80: As all models in a single unit fire simultaneously, a squad cannot
    wreck a Transport and then file at its occupants. However, if a
    Transport is destroyed by a shooting attack, any unit that shot it
    that turn can, if allowed, charge the now disembarked passengers

No you can't split fire on the transport and the unit inside.
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    A unit's shooting is simultaneous. At the time of the split fire, the unit inside is not yet disembarked, and thus isn't a viable target for the rest of the unit to shoot. Just because you resolve the split fire shot first doesn't mean it doesn't still count as being simultaneous.

you are quite correct and i agree but for others... however the game is not played that way.. units that have split fire may choose to fire at different targets and game mechanics dictate that the first group fires then the second group you resolve the first set of firing before the second it is still simo, but worked out at different times... if i was to accept your premise that i cant shoot them when they become targets then in your worlds id have to declare what all my units are going to shoot at before i fire one shot and then i cant change my targets if that unit is destroyed? and we all know that is not how the game is played

Occuli Imperator

double post
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Quote Originally Posted by rle68 View Post
    you are quite correct and i agree but for others... however the game is not played that way.. units that have split fire may choose to fire at different targets and game mechanics dictate that the first group fires then the second group you resolve the first set of firing before the second it is still simo, but worked out at different times... if i was to accept your premise that i cant shoot them when they become targets then in your worlds id have to declare what all my units are going to shoot at before i fire one shot and then i cant change my targets if that unit is destroyed? and we all know that is not how the game is played

Stop being a dolt, the rules clearly state (page 80, I posted above) that when that unit shoots, you have to designate viable units as two targets, as the squad isn't on the table when that squad fires, you can't select them. Any other unit in your army can, because they are now a viable unit.

To try and argue any other way means you're trying to game the system or just be a dick.
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

Quote Originally Posted by rle68 View Post
    if i was to accept your premise that i cant shoot them when they become targets then in your worlds id have to declare what all my units are going to shoot at before i fire one shot and then i cant change my targets if that unit is destroyed? and we all know that is not how the game is played
    Perhaps you misunderstood what DarkLink was saying. Neither he nor anybody else in this thread is suggesting that all shooting occurs simultaneously. It very clearly does not - not as a convention of play; the rule is that units shoot sequentially. However, all models in a given unit shoot simultaneously. That is also not a convention of play, but a rule. As we spent two pages demonstrating before this thread was resurrected, Split Fire does not overturn that rule, and does not purport to.

Brother-Captain

Can a Tau Crisis suit unit with a target lock do this? I know the wording is different because it makes specific reference to the 4th ed targeting priority rules as being needed. But still, think of it as that in no rule has GW ever allowed for a unit to fire at different times, but only different targets with all being rolled simultaneously. Isn't it that the unit in the vehicle is considered the same target as the vehicle for all other purposes, and this new rule says they may pick different targets, thus the subsequently disembarked unit is still the same as the spilt model's target, thus ineligible based on that alone.

Not sure what you mean specifically by "this," but no, I see no basis for a target lock to allow a model in a Tau unit of any kind to select a target that only becomes visible after the rest of that model's unit's shooting is resolved.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123