BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Legally they have to defend their IP don't they? Hopefully this is resolved quickly in a way that is both convenient and fulfilling for both parties.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Occuli Imperator

Certainly that is how it is interprited, otherwise you are seen as granting an implied licence.
    Lest we not forget the famous Warhammer Online forum that was forced to close down because its name was a registered mark.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Banned

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=595792240435610"]GW responds[/URL] (sort of).

At least they're doing better than Applebees.

Chapter-Master

Seems like a reasonable and sensible post, though given all the haters posting underneath you have to wonder why they bother.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Banned

If you stand in front of a mirror & say 'Space Marine' 3 times, Games Workshop's lawyers will appear and sue you...

Occuli Imperator

Sigh, they write Sci-Fi books so any mention of Space Marine you'd expect them to challenge. As I've said before if I see Space Marine in the title of a book I presume that it is in the 40k-verse, similiarly if I saw Star Wars (things that have been around individually since before the written form) I would expect it to be set in George Lucas' universe.

Maybe that is wrong but that is what I think.

Come on, look Avengers Assemble was so called in the UK to avoid confusion with Avengers. You would expect some disambiguation.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthammer View Post
    If you stand in front of a mirror & say 'Space Marine' 3 times, Games Workshop's lawyers will appear and sue you...
    Freaking priceless. Imagine if the Church of Scientology and Games Workshop merged!
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIEX-hRE8LA[/url]
    and
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=374are79zis[/url]
    Last edited by Caitsidhe; 02-08-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    Sigh, they write Sci-Fi books so any mention of Space Marine you'd expect them to challenge. As I've said before if I see Space Marine in the title of a book I presume that it is in the 40k-verse, similiarly if I saw Star Wars (things that have been around individually since before the written form) I would expect it to be set in George Lucas' universe.
    Your mistake is twofold. One, 40k isn't nearly as popular nor even remotely close to as well known as Star Wars. The only people who thinks of 40k exclusively whenever they see "Space Marine" are 40k players who think that the Black Library is the pinnacle of literary achievement. Secondly, no one else uses the actual 'Star Wars' term very much, really. Space Marine, however, is all over the place. And considering that the title in question isn't even just "Space Marine" on its own, but that the whole title doesn't sound 40k-like at all, you're really, really, really stretching here, even assuming that the law works exactly like you think it does.
    Last edited by DarkLink; 02-08-2013 at 02:50 PM.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Your mistake is twofold. One, 40k isn't nearly as popular nor even remotely close to as well known as Star Wars. The only people who thinks of 40k exclusively whenever they see "Space Marine" are 40k players who think that the Black Library is the pinnacle of literary achievement. Secondly, no one else uses the actual 'Star Wars' term very much, really. Space Marine, however, is all over the place. And considering that the title in question isn't even just "Space Marine" on its own, but that the whole title doesn't sound 40k-like at all, you're really, really, really stretching here, even assuming that the law works exactly like you think it does.
    Sigh, there are several logical fallacies here with my "mistake".

I never made the assertion that 40k was as popular as Star Wars...

I think 40k when I see Space Marine but I do not think BL is the pinnacle of literary achievement. Indeed I have never read a book that mention "Space Marines" or even space marines

I wonder why people do not make books with the term "Star Wars" in the title, is this because they already know of the lucas franchise and so or they are prevented from releasing them because of lawyer intervention.

Just because a mark is not widely known there is no reason to use it inappropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post

Maybe that is wrong but that is what I think.

Come on, look Avengers Assemble was so called in the UK to avoid confusion with Avengers. You would expect some disambiguation.
    Call me crazy but if I saw space marine in the title of a book and it wasn't written in the traditional gothic script i'd assume the book was going to be about power armor wielding space marines fighting giant bugs AND assume it had nothing to do with warhammer 40k.

For those not in the new check out starship troopers by Heinlein
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast