BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Multiple Combi Weapons?

I use C:SM and I was wondering if I could have a Sergeant in a tactical squad take 2 combi weapons? The codex states that he "may replace his boltgun and/or bolt bolt pistol with:... a combi-melta, -flamer or -plasma" The way this is worded leads me to conclude that he can, in fact take 2 combi weapons by replacing both his boltgun and bolt pistol with them. I checked the FAQ and there does not appear to be anything on the subject. Anybody care to weigh in? Thanks in advance!

If you read its as RAW then Yes you can take two, keep in mind you wouldn't have a second close combat weapon then. If read as RAI then no you shouldn't be able to replace the bolt pistol with a rapid fire weapon.

Yup, the wording allows you take multiple options, such as two power fists. Makes sense that Sergeants might choose to carry two of the one-shot weapon.

Chapter-Master

Visually, it will probably look cool.
    However, it is probably not the best way to spend your points.
    Better to take 2 pistols
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

If read as RAI then no you shouldn't be able to replace the bolt pistol with a rapid fire weapon.
    Just to point out, that wording has been used in many codexes (may replace and/or) and it indeed means as is clearly intended that you can swap whatever you have by default to whatever it is in the wargear list. There are no RAI references that would mean or point to or be FAQed that CCW can only be swapped for advanced CCW, pistol for better pistol, rapid fire to other rapid fire and heavy to heavy.. or any combination, or general category of those.

Quite the contrary actually with the new USRs in the 6th edition rulebook: Gunslinger allows model to shoot both pistols it carries and such models are truly rare by default in 40k. But insted, many squad leaders and commanders (and probably some elites) have the option to swap their other gears into 2 pistols (which makes sense in many situations)

Yeah, the language is unclear.

But that will all change when they get a new codex. The newer format books (like chaos space marines) are all pretty clear on what you have to give up in order to take a different weapon.

The language isn't unclear at all! You can swap either, neither, or both, and frankly I'm a little annoyed that there's no option for dual bolt pistols (even in DA which was actually designed for 6th).

Chapter-Master

Dual pistols is for the veteran squad.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "