BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chaplain

Ok, the Skyshield is actually DESIGNED for Valkyries/Vendettas. What if there was one of those on the Skyshield. Would it get a 4++ Invulnerable Save? And even if it did, could it fire from up there?!
    Melissia Wrote: "I think the secret to getting more people to stop calling you an arrogant elitist douchebag is to stop being an arrogant elitist douchebag."

Logically it shouldn't get the save as it is above the platform. Even in Hover mode it still is "above" the platform. Though in hover one could more easily argue it has the 4++ save. Though zooming no. But both should be able to shoot if they have LoS.

Chapter-Master

The whole point of the sky shield is to protect the vehicle and units that are on the pad. If the vehicle is in hover mode, it gains the 4+ invul if the shields are up. If the shields are down, the appropriate vehicle has the ability not scatter on deep strike.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    The whole point of the sky shield is to protect the vehicle and units that are on the pad. If the vehicle is in hover mode, it gains the 4+ invul if the shields are up. If the shields are down, the appropriate vehicle has the ability not scatter on deep strike.
    Works for me, still not going to pay the extra 75 points for it in a 2000 point game. Apoc or 2000+ maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by Warptiger View Post
    if the shyshield is unfurled (sides folded down), then jump units, jet packs units, jetbikes and skimmers don't need to take a dangerous terrain test when moving on to or off the shyshield. If it's shielded (sides folded up) then yeah, they have to test.

As for foot troops, it says the top is open terrain, and a difficult terrain test is required to move on to or off it.

No where does it say the landing pad is a building though, and that the top is a second floor, so you don't have to lose distance moving vertically. Other fortifications (like the bastion) tell you they count as a building, how many buildings, and what size of building. Skyshield is described as "unique". That's all.

So reading that part, it looks like foot infantry just roll difficult terrain tests for horizontal movement, and the vertical height isn't even a factor. I would say they need to reach an "access point" on one of the legs, but the access points aren't really described. Just says "per model". Way to be unclear, games workshop.
    You absolutely need the extra vertical distance to reach the top of the Skyshield Pad. If you are going up a hill, you don't just measure the horizontal distance, you measure the angled distance. So to get your units up on the Pad you would need to roll that extra 3" or however tall it is to get there, plus whatever horizontal distance. That's WSYIWIG fundamentals. Furthermore, you cannot move your units straight through a solid wall, vertical or otherwise, unless there's a window/hole(s) in it for dudes to go through (again WSYIWIG). Ergo, units underneath the Skyshield Pad cannot move up through the surface of the Pad. The top counts as open terrain once you're on it however. Even in ruins with levels, you have to be next to the edge of the level you wish to move onto to just roll the vertical distance.

I find the Pad can be worth the 75 points for my Chaos Marines if I have a bunch of shooty Walkers with a Warpsmith or two, and Havocs. It's only a square foot, so it can be cramped, but generall the Walkers are tall enough to shoot over the Havocs, and the Havocs can be near enough the walls to nail enemies who come very close. But the Pad is certainly better in double FOC games, and I would never use it with the walls unfurled, I like my deepstriking to happen further into enemy lines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12