BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Imperial guard command squad weapons load outs - whats best?

Hi

I'm getting back into 40k after a year out and im building an all out death korps of krieg army. I have a provisional 1000pt list posted and as of yet had no feedback. I'm just wondering what is the general best way to build up the command squads as they benefit from higher BS. As i'm running a heavy artillery gun line is it best to save the points though and invest in more big guns? Do standards play an important part as i'm keen to have one on the CCS but maybe not on the PCS's. I'm basing it as an all rounder army but i have noticed a fair amount of power armour being built and painted in the LGS.

Comments please.

Chapter-Master

This is a tactics question...
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

I like 4x Plasma Gun, or 3x PG plus a Medic. With the Bring It Down order, they are quite accurate against MCs and light vehicles, but also effective against Termies and MEQ. The rest of the army can get lots of Heavy Flamers and Ordnance Blasts at AP4, so killing lighter infantry is rarely an issue. But AP2-3 weapons are not as good elsewhere (since they're expensive and usually on BS3 units), and it's nice to have them somewhere in the army.

the krieg siege list pdf from forge world has limits on this set up unfortunately. at the cost of getting some of the best and cheapest heavy artillery i get some pretty mediocre upgrades for the command squads (although a base level of WS4 does come in useful).

Chapter-Master

I would load them out much like Veterans if you are using a mechanized force - i.e. three-four plasma guns or meltaguns. Combined with Bring it Down! and you are well on your way to annihilating a tank or monstrous creature once they get close. If you are running a 'hold the fort' army though, you can give them a heavy weapon team and maybe a few flamers for Overwatch.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

3x plasma and a medic. OR all pistols and cc weapons with a medic and carapace armor.

If you can field it, don't feel like looking at the DKoK list, I like the idea of 4 sniper rifles to help pin down some squads. Would come in handy if you are using a lot of artillery. If you combine it with fire on my target ability you could potentially use it to snipe particular models in cover.

Veteran-Sergeant

All depends on what your opponent is fielding and what your play style is, I personally like my Guard to get stuck into the bosh and do not encumber any of my squads with a heavy weapon but if you prefer to sit back and fire a load of heavy weapons then get some put into your command squad since if it is not going to move then you may as well make it usefull.

I've found the flamers are the best choice because I primarily keep them back to give orders to my gun line and flamers always hit on the attack and are guaranteed some on the defense. Thus, I put one heavy flamer in there and give the rest regular.

Brother-Captain

I recommend a Medic, a Vox (assuming you're giving them to your infantry squads), and 2 Flamers. The Medic will keep the CS alive. The Vox will help them do their job, which is to enhance the performance of your infantry squads. The Flamers will give them some protection from assault.

If you don't want the Vox, get a Regimental Standard. I prefer the Vox, since it's cheaper and is more useful. Platoon Standards are useless. They only help in assaults, and if your Guardsmen are in an assault, they're already dead; waste of points.
    There is one direction: FORWARD!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast