BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default Is Ghazghkul Thraka worth it?

I want some opinions. For the moment I use a Warboss with 'eavy armor, powerklaw, attack squig, and a twin linked shooter. Is switching to Thraka worth my time/money/points?

I ask because the last time I bought something on impulse it was Boss Zagstruk. I read his entry in the codex and thought he sounded nifty. After buying and painting, I found a forum (maybe this one?) where people were slamming him. After playing him, I found out why.

Occuli Imperator

A lot depends on how many points you are playing, at low point games he is too expensive.
    His eternal warrior is useful and so is the bonus waagh.
    The changes to fleet though mean you can't run and assault which is a it of a nerf.

As an aside I always liked Zagstruk, the ability to assault from reserve is great
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Battle-Brother

I usually play at 2000 pts, so I'd have to sacrifice a little for him, but not too much. In fact...

Warboss w/ twinlinked shoota, powerklaw, 'eavy armor, bosspole attack squig

Weirdboy / Warphead

Nobz x 7
    powerclaw x 3
    shoota/skorcha x 1
    Big Choppa
    eavy armor x 7
    Waaagh Banner

Battlewagon
    reinforced ram
    Big Shoota x 4
    Ard case
    kannon

Lootas x 9 (1 mek)

Boyz x 20
    Rokkit launcha x 2
    Nob w/ Claw, bosspole

Boyz x 20
    big shoota x 2
    Nob w/ Claw, bosspole

Boyz x 20 (shootas)
    big shoota x2
    Nob w/ Claw, bosspole

Boyz x 10 (shootas)
    Big shoota
    Trukk (dedicated)

Looted Wagon w/ boomgun

Killa Kanz x 3
    big shoota
    Rokkit launcha x 2

Deff Dread w/ big shoota, kustom mega blasta

Warbikers x 10
    Nob w/ pole, claw

Is what I usually run.

And I like Zagstruk, too, but mostly on paper. There were a couple too many times where I scattered too far, didn't roll enough charge distance, and found my stormboyz huddled together in no man's land where my opponent shot them to pieces.

Occuli Imperator

I always found Nobs to be too expensive as a unit on their own, but that could be me tooling them up far too much.
    Killa Kanz are even better now that vehicle squadron rules have changed.

Have you considered a dakkajet? Brilliant volume of fire
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Battle-Brother

Yes, actually would like try fielding a couple of those. I'm just not sure what I'd get rid of to make room for them.

Occuli Imperator

I would suggest the weirdboy & nobz but it is all prefernces.

I love my weirdboyz but always recieve flakk for them as they aren't competitive and are too random.

Daemon-Prince

If you take Ghaz or a special character in most cases you deserve to lose the game and be punched in the face.
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by White Tiger88 View Post
    If you take Ghaz or a special character in most cases you deserve to lose the game and be punched in the face.
    Why Exactly?

As for dropping the weird boy for dakka jet that just seems silly, a warp head can severely increase the fire power that comes from those planes.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by BatMarine View Post
    Why Exactly?

As for dropping the weird boy for dakka jet that just seems silly, a warp head can severely increase the fire power that comes from those planes.
    But the dakka jet is more reliable/predicatable than a warp head. ([url]http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2012/06/40k-editorial-case-for-dakkajet.html[/url])

I know half of the appeal to orks are the random crazy, or at least that is why I have my army.

Librarian

Here's what i came up with for a Ghazkull Friendly list. I'm not sure if it's that competitive though

HQ: GhazKull Thraka

Elites: 2x) 15x Lootas

Troops: 6x) 30x Shoota Boyz mob with Nob-PK and bosspole

Fast Attack: Dakkjet with extra gun and Red Paint Job

Total: 2,000 Points.
    This list has a little range, mostly CC, and plenty of wound-buckets for Ghazkull to throw those pesky lascannons, or such, onto.

Edit: Ghaz goes with any CC element you have, but to make his points worth it, you need to focus the list around CC to get the most use for him. Something fun to try out is Ghazkull's Waagh! on Stormboyz DS assault. It may help with bad rolls, or may not.. either way it's something to help ya out.
    Last edited by Mr.Pickelz; 02-14-2013 at 11:03 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast