BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Chapter-Master

I've been thinking about the much maligned Pyrovores and Lictors, and I was wondering if anyone here has put them to good use as yet? I've seen Lictors used, but they never seemed to do as much damage as the owner would hope. So what say you? Have you seen them used effectively, and in what capacity? Cheers!
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Learn2Eel View Post
    I've been thinking about the much maligned Pyrovores and Lictors, and I was wondering if anyone here has put them to good use as yet? I've seen Lictors used, but they never seemed to do as much damage as the owner would hope. So what say you? Have you seen them used effectively, and in what capacity? Cheers!
    I've kept trying to get the lictors to do anything, but alas, fail fail fail. Would never try to do anything with a pyrovore until their points drop to 30, then I'll consider it.

An interesting tactic I had heard before (totally unrelated) on the forumspace here or warpshadow was to use 3 zoeys in a pod and go for telepathy, angling for shadow puppet against deployment zone squatters. The manticore appears to be pretty popular in the new meta due to S10 vehicle penetration across the full blast, so you can tag multiple vehicles reliably in a single shot. The first target for zoeys is a manticore, hoping for two puppets in a single turn when you drop in (average is 50% per zoey, so 2 puppets per brood happens a lot). Everyone applauded the genius of the original conceiver. HOWEVER, just read manticore, and one of it's rules is that only a single storm eagle rocket may fire per turn. It means as a shooting attack, if you have two puppets in said list, DON'T go after the manticore, because you'll be wasting a shot. Target the vendettas instead, as a single vendetta can be puppetted multiple times, going after it's brothers and sisters in the sky with fast-firing impunity.

RTM

I run 2 squads of 3 Biovores and 2 squads of 3 Hive Guard. I hide them in terrain that blocks line of sight. I then put my Winged Hive Tyrant with Old Adversary within range of all of them to allow them to reroll hit and wound rolls of 1. It is quite effective for bringing alot of firepower to bear and allowing to you play a stand-off type army.

Read more: [url]http://thetyranidhive.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=Tactics&thread=4258 0&page=2#ixzz2MadFyDmw[/url]

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Well before they went finecast, pyrovores made GREAT paperweights.....

Honestly the tragic thing about the pyrovore is that all it needs is either Torrent or AP3 to be a solid choice, sigh..

Chapter-Master

Yes, I have yet to understand why they did not come with the Torrent rules, yet the Tyrannofex did.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Out of curiosity, will you be updating this thread to include the forgeworld units? Essentially, the Malanthrope, the Meiotic spore, and the Stone-Crusher Carnifex?

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    Yes, I have yet to understand why they did not come with the Torrent rules, yet the Tyrannofex did.
    If pyrovores had torrent it would have gone a long way to solve 5th ed nids' problems with infantry in cover, a staple in lists would likely have been 2x3 hiveguard and 1x3 pyrovores. ah well, word is we're getting a new dex later this year so we'll see what happens.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

I love the model. I really like the giant phallic monster of doom. What's hilarious is that it either splurges on units, or pops prematurely. Awesome concept. I would like the 'suicide' element of the Pyrovore to be developed more, too.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cyaneye View Post
    Out of curiosity, will you be updating this thread to include the forgeworld units? Essentially, the Malanthrope, the Meiotic spore, and the Stone-Crusher Carnifex?
    Hi mate, sorry for the late reply!
    In the future, I will be looking at reviewing the 40K approved Forge World units in their own separate articles. For each codex I have already covered, I will probably add in another article about their options from Forge World. Of course, this is reliant upon me getting the most up to date Imperial Armour books, which can certainly be difficult. Suffice it to say, I will try.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

First-Captain

I need to sit down and read your articles more. I agree with what you said with the Harpy for the most part. However keeping in mind a winged daemon prince with no upgrades cost more than a harpy I don't think it is too expensive. If you field like 3 off them you can do so for under 500 points which isn't bad. I never thought of fielding multiple of them until I seen the daemon flying circus. To be able to field 5 flying MCs is rather big. One isn't hard to shoot down, but dealing with 2 others and 2 winged tyrants.

Oh. I also was thinking this unit can hit 3 different units. It can drop it's spores on one unit, ds another, and drop a strength 6 pie plate on another.

I want to add with genstealers and warriors you now have ranged anti ground which can help x stealers to get to x target. Also you can focus more on ranged anti tank.

Another scary thought is to ds 5 flyers and 3 trygons on the board.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123