BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gravitas's Haqqislam forces

I'm nowhere near as good a painter as some people on this site, but I thought I'd share my ongoing painting project; Mars-themed Haqqislam.

Please excuse the varying photographic quality.

The Naffatun and Lasiq were the first Infinity figures I'd ever painted, and it shows :/ I was also still trying to nail down the color scheme, as well as being my first ever experiment with NMM (which as you can see, didn't work out all that well)

The Ragik is where I started to get more confident and get a better handle for how I wanted the color scheme to look, it also codified what colors I'd use for what surfaces - bright orange for hard armor, khaki/yellow for cloth, and dark grey for softer armor like flak jackets, under-armor and the like. Of course I broke those rules on the same model, but I thought it needed more yellow to tie in with the lighter armored troops.

Also the Ragiks are awesome. DEATH FROM ABOVE.

Started to use a bit more red as a spot color

The third Naffatun, and much, much better than the first two. There's a quick step-by-step on how I painted her [url=http://impetuousorders.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/guest-post-quick-naffatun-step-by-step.html]here[/url].

The Hunzakut Sniper was an experiment in painting Disruptive Pattern Material, aka Camouflage. It worked okay, I'd like to try it again with more natural/subdued colors. A step-by-step on how I painted it is [url=http://impetuousorders.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/experiment-with-dpm.html]here[/url].

Ghulam! I love these guys, some of the best basic troops in the game. Bit worried that the lack of orange would make them stand out from the armored troops, but it worked out. Getting a bit more confident with NMM with these guys as well.

Sadly, the second trooper broke almost immediately after taking these pictures, which taught me the importance of pinning.

More Ghulam, this time including a Hacker, who I'm quite pleased with. My crappy photography setup tends to make things a bit more grainy than they are IRL, and also introduces some odd yellow tone reflections.

Good work there! I'm digging your color scheme. A lot of the Hassassin give me a Metroid vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenPaladin View Post
    Good work there! I'm digging your color scheme. A lot of the Hassassin give me a Metroid vibe.
    Thanks! The helmeted heads were one of the things that drew me to the faction in the first place, I imagined masked figures emerging out of a Martian dust-storm to assault a domed settlement. For a while I was considering sculpting breather-masks on the non-helmeted troops but decided that my greenstuff skills weren't up to the task.

It also took me a little while to work out how to do the orange so that it wasn't a bright saftey orange, but also wasn't a chalky color. Ended up using Solar Macharius Orange/Jokaero Orange over a base coat of Dark Flesh/Doombull Brown, highlighted with increasing amounts of Elf Flesh.

Remotes! I love these weird little guys. The antennae on their backs were a serious pain to pin, but after the Ghulam debacle my mantra has been "pin all the things" so the effort was probably worth it. WIP pictures of the female Ghulam, hacker, and one of the drones are [url=impetuousorders.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/oath-of-moment.html]here[/url].

Chaplain

nice work indeed, the scheme works well i feel, keep it up

currently working on a line of sci-fi bunkers and tunneling, input always appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by ZenPaladin View Post
    Thanks! I hadn't thought about Metroid till you bought it up, but now I can totally see it.

Quote Originally Posted by archimbald
    nice work indeed, the scheme works well i feel, keep it up
    Thank you! One of the problems with the scheme I think is that all the warm colors blend together, and also match the base. In real life you want this kind of effect for camo, but on the tabletop they don't look as nice. I'm hoping that the blue of the visors and the blue-grey of the metals will add enough contrast.

Remotes! I love these little guys. Really pleased with the chrome faceplate on the second one. They probably could have used some yellow to break up all that orange, but I couldn't find a good place for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast