BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Initiate

Default First shot at Competitive IG, 2000 points

I'm new to IG and I would really love your thoughts on my initial list build. Thank you.

HQ

Lord Commissar

Elites

Storm Troopers

5x

Troops

Platoon 1

Platoon Command Squad

Infantry Squad

-grenade launcher

Infantry Squad

Heavy Weapons Team

-3x Lascannons

Heavy Weapons Team

-3x Lascannons

Heavy Weapons Team

-3x Autocannons

Veterans

-3x flamers, 7 shotguns

Veterans

-melta gun

Veterans

-3 plasma guns, 1 plasma pistol

Fast Attack

Vendetta

Vendetta

Valkyrie

-heavy bolters, lascannon, rocket pods

Heavy Support

Leman Russ

-heavy bolter sponsons, lascannon

Leman Russ Executioner

-plasma gun sponsons, lascannon

Ork Allies

Weird boy

Lootas

-13x

Gretchin

10x, 1 Rutherd

Total: 2000

Is the weirdboy worth taking? Or would I be better off dropping the orks and taking a Punisher with Commander Pask to get the anti-infantry fire?

Thank you for your input

It's up to you, honestly. Right now you only have two tanks on the ground. That makes them extra susceptible to anti-tank long-range fire. If you're going to spam infantry and fliers like this, I would take two squadrons of Vendettas with two Vendettas in each squadron instead of the tanks you have (so only two extra Vendettas, one attached to each Vendetta you already have). And with the points you're saving on not taking the tanks, I'd drop the Gretchin and bring Shoota Boyz or bump the Lootas up to 15.

Also at 2k points, don't you need an extra hq choice as you start double force organistaion charts at that points level. I'd drop the lascannon heavy weapons squads, switch them too autocannon squads if you want to keep them but they pose an easy at threat to your opponent, any str 6 wounds insta kills a base. I'd get an aegis line, just for the cover save alone with that many bodies. What are the storm troopers there for? they have no special weapons so seem kinda like an after thought, give them weapon upgrades or drop them.

Only major issue, don't take the heavy bolter sponsons and lascannon on a normal leman russ. They all would be shooting snapfire unless you do not shoot the battle cannon which renders the tank useless. I suggest changing to the Exterminator (4 TL autocannon shots) and keeping the sponsons and lascannon then. Also suggest dropping the stormtroopers, a squad of 5 isn't going to do much, and you didn't even give them special weapons. Just use those points and look at dropping the orks to take more tanks, or more flyers.