BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Multi Use Demons

With the new book around the corner, I figured I'd ask the Bell: what would YOU do to make a Daemon army usable in both systems? The war of the ring bases are fairly useful for infantry (nearly the right size and you can paint lines based on the 25mm squares and cut if need be) but for the bigger models, the beast of Nurgle, Chariots, and Daemon Princes, Greater Daemons (which I wouldn't buy until there are new models anyways, but you know...) what would y'all recommend? I imagine Magnetizing is in there, but in that case how would you go about it? I'd really like some advice, and maybe some alternative ideas!!

When I was going to play Daemons in both 40K and Fantasy (not interested or enough people for Fantasy anymore around here) I was simply going to use the square bases. As 40K squads are simply Fantasy units with the skirmish rule its not hard to just spread them out. And i dont think anyone would complain about any kind of "advantage" you would get from the extra couple of centimeters of a square base compared to a round one. The only thing that people might complain about are the flying models as 40K uses the clear acrylic ones and Fantasy simply uses their square bases. For those Id say figure out a way to simply remove the model from the stem or stem from the base safely and multiple times and simply switch bases on the few models that need it (this is where your idea of magnets would come in real handy). As I said for the most part Id just use the square bases as I dont think most people would have a problem with it.

Brother-Sergeant

In my own group I'm pretty sure it would fly, but I would still get flakk for it from some of my friends, not to mention I'd rather stop gap Fantasy than 40k, the only reason I'm wanting to do this is that if I'm going to have a 40k army that I can use, I may as well try and make it Fantasy capable... So I'd rather have the round bases than square you know?

I'm also not planning to ever play in a Fantasy Tournament with people who would care, but I might want to take the Daemons into a bigger 40k tournament at some point, so I wouldn't want the TOs to have a problem with something I did. Again, mostly a problem with the bigger models as the bases are very different proportions. As or Flying models (such as the flies) I can just use both stems provided, one in each base, because I never glue them into the model (for storage purposes), so ironically the flying models are the easiest...

Gale force 9 makes movement trays that have circles cut out of them so you can fit the round 40k bases into the movement trays so once in the movement tray they are effectively fantasy units

The best but hardest way to go about it, I think, would be to magnetize the models to the bases. Glue a powerful rare earth magnet underneath each base (say, a 3/4", dremel room for it if need be), and then glue individual magnets into the feet of your infantry. You could drill 1/16" magnets into the actual feet, so they're indiscernible even when the model is off the base, or glue 1/8" magnets to the bottoms of the feet and drill 1/8" sockets into the top of the base so they sit flush (I would do the drilling before affixing the 3/4" to the underside of the base). I haven't had cause to do this myself, but my general magnet experience leads me to be skeptical that the 1/16" route would be as stable as you want. For larger models, simply scale up appropriately, and position multiple 3/4" (or even 1") magnets on the underside of the base where you want the feet of the model to go. Assuming your rare earth magnets have a shiny coating like nickel (as most do, I think), don't forget to rough that up with a file before gluing. Makes a world of difference in how well your glue holds to the plastic/resin when you are routinely separating powerful magnets from each other.

I don't think this would be all that much extra work per model, but it would be fairly expensive as magnetizing projects go. If you have the budget for it, though, I think it would yield the best results in terms of giving you models on the "correct" bases for either system with the "correct" height (I've heard of people simply magnetizing fantasy bases on top of 40K ones or vice versa, but that messes ever so slightly with how much the model can see and how easy it is for the model to get cover).

EDIT: You could also do a mix, such as using movement trays with round holes in them for the small models and trying my idea for the large ones that don't use movement trays. That might save you money; it would certainly save you work.

Brother-Sergeant

Yeah, I'm pretty sure for the small ones I'll just be using the gale force nine bases, mostly it's the big ones that I'm concerned about...

I don't see how magnetizing the bases on top of each other would make much sense... it would still have the weird corners impeding 40k, or the ovals sticking out in Fantasy...

Save money and unnecessarily expanding your frontage and mount them on square bases. A larger base is a disadvantage to you more than your opponent, as more can get into base to base contact.

Flying stands are simplicity themselves to sort out. Each base comes with two stems. Sort out the square ones first, as they'll need to rank up, and use the remainder for less fussy round bases.

Biggedy biggedy bong, dual use army!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Sergeant

Just use the LOTR bases, they're great. They are SLIGHTLY larger, but nobody cares about a couple millimeters per base, especially since it works out the same as if you had a dedicated movement tray with edging.

The larger LOTR bases can hold 40mm rounds at two to a pop. You can slice those in half if needed.

Put a small piece of sheet tin in the bottom of each tray well, and use Neodymium magnets from K&J magnetics into each of your base wells. There are plenty of things on the internet to show you how to best do these activities. I prefer the talcum powder + cyanoacrylate glue for the tin-to-tray bond, and expanding polystyrene glue (held down) for magnets in bases.

Unfortunately you need to be five wide to count as ranks for Warhammer, have done for several editions (three I think).

War of the Ring bases are only 4 wide. You could of course use them lengthwise though, but unless going six wide (available points and preferred unit size being the only issues) you'd be left with wheeling and arc of sight issues.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

If you're only worried about dual-basing the big models, I don't think that will be hard. Big models have big feet to accommodate larger magnets (or deeper stacks of magnets), and their big bases can accommodate more powerful magnets. Piece of cake.

(( I prefer to do my magnetization with a magnet on each side of the bond rather than metal on one side and a magnet on the other ))

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast