BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Working with Resin

Hey there guys, just looking for some advice and didn't know where to look, so I figured I would ask any enlightened folk here.

I just received my first forgeworld resin kit ever (night lords rhino doors) and I know there are extra precautions/steps that should be taken when working with resin, but I don't know what they are. Anyone here know how to properly work with resin?

Chaplain

Give the pieces a bath. Be VERY thorough and use a brush to scrub with warm water and soap. If you miss a spot you'll know when you try to paint it and the paint falls off (in this case don't worry just wash again getting the spot you "missed" and paint again) If the piece is bent just use a hair drier to warm up and bend into the shape you want (hold in position until cool). If you are missing or a piece is broken let forgeworld know they tend to replace it.
    "I have seen what you will see. I have fought what you must fight, and I have slain what you must slay...." Commander Dante

Veteran-Sergeant

Another trick to use if a hair dryer is unavailable is hot water, stick the resin model in it for a couple minutes and carefully bend, i used this trick on some Forgeworld BFG ships, works in a pinch!

I tend to go beyond the wash and scrub. I leave the parts soaking in a container with water and a lot of washing up liquid for a week. That makes sure that any deep lying oils or chemicals come out. As for bending---never used a hair dryer, just boiling water straight from the kettle, bend/straighten to shape and hold under the cold tap.

There are some dangers involved with this stuff---DO NOT breathe in any dust! Trimming of lumps with a knife is ok but if you are going to be sanding, wear a mask! This is important as resin is highly carcinogenic if breathed in. Other than these things, once cleaned etc., just treat it like plastic as regards painting. Super glue for fixing bits together and Bob's your Aunties Uncle!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    DO NOT breathe in any dust! Trimming of lumps with a knife is ok but if you are going to be sanding, wear a mask! This is important as resin is highly carcinogenic if breathed in.
    No it isn't, any large amounts of fine dust will be bad for your lungs, but resin ISN'T carcinogenic in itself, the amount of sanding you'll have to do on some Rhino doors, you really don't need to worry.

Chaplain

I would basically second all of the above.

Always, always wash and scrub any resin before applying undercoat (usually before assembly).

I use warm (not hot) water with washing up liquid and a toothbrush. I don't think you really need to leave it soaking for too long, but definitely scrub it with the toothbrush 2 or 3 times to be sure.

Hot water or a hair dryer will be ok for sorting out any warpage.

And I always use fine grade wet and dry sandpaper for removing mold lines. You will need a sharp razor saw for removing gates (the big bits of resin attached to the parts), and a sharp hobby knife for removing anything else.

And you really don't want to breathe in the resin dust as it can be harmful, but for a couple of Rhino doors I don't think you have too much to worry about, but for larger kits where a lot of sawing or sanding is involved I use a dust mask (you can get paper disposable ones from a good hobby or DIY store).

As long as you wash it though you can't go wrong but resin especially needs a fair bit of attention at the preperation stage.

Chaplain

I have been working on this lovely resin wyvern. I have never worked with resin before so I have been doing some reading.

After the model has had its soapy scrub, I can feel the difference. You can physically feel that the release agent has washed off.

Any filing that I do, I hold the model under a little stream of running water, so the dust gets washed down the drain.

The "gates" seemed to pop right off where I cut them. There was minimal cleaning required at the points were the gates were attached. Only downside was the tail stinger bits connecting pins were a bit deformed, so I had to actually pin it onto the tail.

I gave the pieces a good look over to find any air bubbles. These are easily filled.

So far so good for my first encounter with resin! It's not as intimidating as I thought it would be.

Brother-Sergeant

Thank you all for the advice! I knew not to breathe the stuff in, but I did not know the specifics about washing and whatnot.