BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default The Horus Heresy Book Series...

This will be a rant.

I've read (and purchased) all of the novels so far and am up to Angel Exterminatus (half-way through to be exact).

I understand that GW is trying to milk this title for it's worth, but it's having a detrimental effect on the product in my honest opinion. They really are filling in the gaps with non-stories that don't further the overall story and seem to be an unrelenting tide of awful, depressing sh*t.

Every good guy ends up getting smashed up by a traitor primarch, or raped by the Emperor's Children and turned into the Human Centipede later on by Fabius Bile. What's more, because we know that Lucius, Bile, Abaddon etc are all alive and well in 39'999 we know that whatever good guy crosses them during the Heresy will be depressingly duffed over and the book cam be chalked up as another Evil 'win'.

I suppose I'm just hoping for a heroic counter attack, or a victory against the odds but halfway through Angel Exterminatus I had to fight the urge to chuck it in the bin. Fabius torturing and maiming, Perturabo - not only a demi-god primarch but also backed up by super robots that smash Astartes like over boiled potatoes and it all just becomes unrelentingly grim.

Every time a traitor primarch turns up, good guys die by the hundreds. Everytime Perturabo farted a hundred Imperial Fists exploded, Fulgrim made an Avatar sh*t itself to death just by looking at him funny. They'll add another novel where Lorgar runs out of bog roll and captures, wipes his *** on and sacrifices 10,000 Space Wolves in response.

Sorry, it's just proper depressing now. The next one, Betrayer is it? So far as I can tell is just Angron and Lorgar slaughtering their way through what's left of the Ultramarines. I can't understand how there will be anyone left for the defence of the Emperor's Palace. Everyone is surely dead by now? Even fully armed Custodes can be killed by unarmed traitor Astartes.

Probably won't bother with any more. I'll stick to Abnett and his Gaunt, Eisenhorn etc.. At least there's some humour and the bad guys don't always win...
    Last edited by morninson; 03-08-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Iron Father

I can totally understand your point, I said something similar but not quite as eloquently as you lol The flight of the Eisenstein is easily my favourite book, that one I really liked.

Betrayer spoilers below.

But Yep I feel the BL is milking the series for all its worth now and some of the books don't add anything to the overall story. However I have just finished Betrayer and that is actually a good read. It climaxes with Angron getting his Khornite horn on so to speak. Its worth a read.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chapter-Master

Its a bit harsh, Abyss was an imp victory against the odds, so was the BA one. So was Prospero Burns. I think you haven't got to the true victories yet, involving: 1. Successfuly defence of the palace. 2. Laying the people's elbow on Horus. 3. Expelling 8 odd traitor LEGIONs to the Eye of Terror.

Yes they are dragging it out but the traitor scum are well due their come uppance.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chaplain

Sad no? depressing? feel betrayed? feel lost? Like the sun might not ever shine again? Feel that evil runs rampent through the streets? Good. I'm glad. Then the Horus Heresy is what it should be. This is not a time for hope, nor a time of heroes. This is the time of betrayal, the time of sadness. You want hope? You want the light? Wait and some day they will tell the tail of Sanguinius. The day when all alone he stands through the nightmare that is chaos and punches a hole in the armor of Horus. Then we wil hope and dream. Then the Emporer will come and kill Horus usesing that hole in the armor. You see this is not the time for hope, this is the time of betrayal and there is no hope in betrayal. Welcome to the Horus Heresy. And know why 10,000 years later there is no forgivness, no peace, only war and the laughter of thirsting gods.
    "I have seen what you will see. I have fought what you must fight, and I have slain what you must slay...." Commander Dante

Iron Father

So what your basically saying is we have to wait 10000 years for BL to finish the series

What you've described is pretty much what happened in the history since day one, the Traitors kicked arse all the way to Terra where they finally became undone, if the Loyalists had started winning before then, they'd have never even made it to our solar system.

Its a dark time in the galaxy, everything and everyone is consumed by this heresy, its thrown it all aside, no one even thought it could happen, so they're reeling, trying to get their defenses up, but they're shocked and surprised and fighting the greatest tactical mind in the Imperium and his kick-*** brothers! There isn't a whole lot of hope right now.

Battle-Brother

Maybe I'm just needing BL to hurry the hell up and get to the good guy bits. I love a villain as much as the next guy but I'm sick of reading about poxy Fabius and his SyFy Channel horror show antics.

Draigo would've sorted this all out by now...;-)

Chaplain

Smile

I know what ya mean though, it would be great to read more about what the loylist have been doing and some of their victories. Well at least they keeping putting out books on a fairly steady basis.
    "I have seen what you will see. I have fought what you must fight, and I have slain what you must slay...." Commander Dante

Chapter-Master

I must admit, I have lost track, because i refuse to buy hard cover, so must wait for a decent sized book to match my collection.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    I must admit, I have lost track, because i refuse to buy hard cover, so must wait for a decent sized book to match my collection.
    Not sure if its cheaper, but I download them off itunes now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast