BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Exclamation Now we can *scan* and print in 3D

Bet this is going to have some impact on the hobby. Pretty much a whole bunch of hobbies...

From CNN: [URL="http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/08/tech/innovation/makerbot-pettis-sxsw/"]Startup unveils 3-D scanner at SXSW[/URL]

Just put in a Space Marine or Ork or whatever mini you want, scan for 3 minutes and then print. Heck you can even scale 'em up if you insist on real real REAL proportionate marines.

Dunno how good the printed "resolution" is but there's gonna be a lotta interesting uses for this.

Huh, surprised someone's making a dedicated scanner - you can just use a camera and freeware for that. Hell, the developers behind the makerbot (commercial 3d printer) get great scans with an iPhone camera, and you can do extra hi-def scans with an xBox kinect. You could probably get a good print by taking stills from gamesworkshop's 360º spin (I expect they'll stop providing that before long).

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer View Post
    Huh, surprised someone's making a dedicated scanner - you can just use a camera and freeware for that. Hell, the developers behind the makerbot (commercial 3d printer) get great scans with an iPhone camera, and you can do extra hi-def scans with an xBox kinect. You could probably get a good print by taking stills from gamesworkshop's 360º spin (I expect they'll stop providing that before long).
    If nothing else, maybe somebody with a Space Hulk set can scan the minis, upload them then others could get 'em off the Intertubes, "print" them out along with the board pieces etc. and someone like me could FINALLY play the Space Hulk board game!

I think this is more about accessibility than anything else. Can I put it in a machine, press one button, and get a scan file? If not, there's room for improvement even if it isn't in the realm of scan quality. My flatscreen scanner doesn't give me PDFs that are any higher quality than I could get with a digital camera and a free .jpeg conversion suite, but the flatscreen is still the better scanning methodology..

In short... no.

Neither the scanner nor the Makerbot series has the resolution you want. Understand that while the scanner (for example) may have a resolution under .2mm, that's dependent upon the object's size, distance from the camera/laser, etc. CAD-Scan have a project going on kickstarter right now that can get phenominal accuracy.. if the object is large enough. Something the size of a Space Marine scanned on it, however, comes out very poorly indeed due to it being such a small object, and the measuring aperatures so far away.

Rev - same problem as I mentioned above applies, as do other issues, like consistent angle, coverage, etc. I've looked into it for digitally remastering hand sculpts, but right now you're looking at at least $2500 for the scanner, a printer that'll do what you want to have in your home is another $3500, the printing material is about $150/liter... You can see where this is going.

Sure. I can see where it is going. It is going exactly where I predicted not too long ago, i.e. two more years before they are cost effective and we they become common enough for us to have them in our homes.

People have been saying that for 5 years...
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Yep.

Also WHY? WHY would you think there will be a time where we all have 3D printers. What situation do you forsee the standard family deciding they need a 3D printer
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    People have been saying that for 5 years...
    I know they have. I've been saying two.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    Yep.

Also WHY? WHY would you think there will be a time where we all have 3D printers. What situation do you forsee the standard family deciding they need a 3D printer
    There are all sorts of things we could fabricate. I assure all these companies jumping into the market aren't doing so because they think they will support themselves on gamers. Screws, bolts, broken bits, glasses, nobs, dials, simple toys, dishes, cups, and whatever else your heart desires. More to the point, people don't NEED much of any modern device. That doesn't prevent them from getting them. They get them because they are neat.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast