BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Where did I get this idea? (that I swear cost me a game)

Somehow, during a game yesterday, my opponent used his scout moves to place units only about 12" from my deployment zone. I went first and advanced to 6" from him. But for some reason I was under the idea that on the first player turn you couldn't charge the enemy. I have no idea where this came from but I was certain I saw it somewhere.

Anyone have any idea where I could have gotten such an idea?
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

Scout

Crack... it happens and it sucks when it does

You could have charged. You're probably thinking of this: "A unit that makes a Scout redeployment cannot charge in the first turn." Page 41.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    You could have charged. You're probably thinking of this: "A unit that makes a Scout redeployment cannot charge in the first turn." Page 41.
    Maybe. Or maybe about not being able to charge from reserve. Those are the only things I can think of.
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

Yeah, it sounds like you were maybe thinking of the restriction on player turn 1 infiltrators and scouts.

Quote Originally Posted by gwensdad View Post
    Somehow, during a game yesterday, my opponent used his scout moves to place units only about 12" from my deployment zone. I went first and advanced to 6" from him. But for some reason I was under the idea that on the first player turn you couldn't charge the enemy. I have no idea where this came from but I was certain I saw it somewhere.

Anyone have any idea where I could have gotten such an idea?
    It sounds like he wasn't playing the Scouting rule correctly. Read it again. Scout is no longer a 'move' it is redeployment and so the unit can't be moved closer to you. The rules for a redeployment are the same as a deployment with the exception that infiltrators may have blocked off sections of your deployment zone. The redeployment has to stay inside its own deployment zone, it can just re-position to head towards a flank, take cover, limit infiltrating possibilities, or commit to a side. I think you are still playing it like in the 5th edition unless they have both infiltrate AND scout.

Quote Originally Posted by rich_clean_jammies View Post
    It sounds like he wasn't playing the Scouting rule correctly. Read it again. Scout is no longer a 'move' it is redeployment and so the unit can't be moved closer to you. The rules for a redeployment are the same as a deployment with the exception that infiltrators may have blocked off sections of your deployment zone. The redeployment has to stay inside its own deployment zone, it can just re-position to head towards a flank, take cover, limit infiltrating possibilities, or commit to a side. I think you are still playing it like in the 5th edition unless they have both infiltrate AND scout.

No where in the USR does it say you have to stay in your original deployment zone, otherwise, why would it specify that you have to be 12" from an enemy unit and that you can't assualt, use your common sense here, they changed the wording to redeploy to stop you effecting it with other things that effect movement, like the Dread Knights shunt move, you can deploy on the edge of your deployment zone and then move 6" forward if you want.

Chapter-Master

I think you were thinking of Monopoly and not getting £200 when you first pass 'Go'.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Quote Originally Posted by OrksOrksOrks View Post
    No where in the USR does it say you have to stay in your original deployment zone, otherwise, why would it specify that you have to be 12" from an enemy unit and that you can't assualt, use your common sense here, they changed the wording to redeploy to stop you effecting it with other things that effect movement, like the Dread Knights shunt move, you can deploy on the edge of your deployment zone and then move 6" forward if you want.
    That isn't how the rules system works. You don't look for wording which prevents you from deploying outside of your deployment zone, you look for wording which allows you to deploy outside of your deployment zone. As far as I have found, there is none. The only reference which is made is to redeploy your forces. As 'redeploy' isn't defined further, then you have to assume that it means to re-deploy - to deploy again and in which case you do a second deployment which would follow the rules for your first deployment. The reason why it specifies that you must stay 12" away from an enemy unit is because things have changed since the first deployment, infiltrators have been placed. If a unit of infiltrators has been placed within your deployment zone that 12" clarification has been put in place to ensure that the scout move doesn't allow you to place your bike unit literally right next to their deployed unit.

I see your point about not using the term 'movement' so that you can't gain a jinx save from it or whatnot, but I can't find wording which overrides the fact that it is still a deployment and if it wasn't for the way the rule was worded in the previous edition, I don't see why anyone would think you could do that.

Quote Originally Posted by rich_clean_jammies View Post
    That isn't how the rules system works. You don't look for wording which prevents you from deploying outside of your deployment zone, you look for wording which allows you to deploy outside of your deployment zone. As far as I have found, there is none. The only reference which is made is to redeploy your forces. As 'redeploy' isn't defined further, then you have to assume that it means to re-deploy - to deploy again and in which case you do a second deployment which would follow the rules for your first deployment. The reason why it specifies that you must stay 12" away from an enemy unit is because things have changed since the first deployment, infiltrators have been placed. If a unit of infiltrators has been placed within your deployment zone that 12" clarification has been put in place to ensure that the scout move doesn't allow you to place your bike unit literally right next to their deployed unit.

I see your point about not using the term 'movement' so that you can't gain a jinx save from it or whatnot, but I can't find wording which overrides the fact that it is still a deployment and if it wasn't for the way the rule was worded in the previous edition, I don't see why anyone would think you could do that.
    Because thats how it works, I see what you're saying, but, it says to redeploy anywhere within 6 inches (for infantry), this in effect makes a new deployment zone bubble.

Think about what the scout rule is supposed to represent, a scout is someone who moves forward, ahead of the main force to supply information, so they're going to be further into the field than the rest of the battle force.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast