BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    stuff
    Thanks for the great response. It is several leaps around, but makes sense and is appreciated.
    I don't mean to get into anything resembling an argument. I now believe that you are correct from your logic, I think I was just confused due to poor wording which I will try to explain in regards to your points.

1. Agreed, 'anywhere' doesn't lend enough to either side
    2. pg 121 'within 12" of the center line' Remember the diagram on page 4, the space marine is 'within 5" of the trukk' which means that a fortification butted flush along the edge of deployment qualifies for the 'within 12" of the center line' this just means that scouts can move into buildings during a redeploy which brings them closer than normally allowed to an infiltrating unit. In other words, I place my army on one edge and you infiltrate a unit right behind a building, well then I can redeploy my unit into that building, even though you are right against it.
    3. Agreed, the rules to deploy an infiltrator are clearly written and it is clearly given as an exception to the normal deployment - this is in fact one of the main reasons I read it the other way, they so clearly defined the exception in this instance that to not include it with the scouts seems intentional.
    4. In terms of the first turn charge, this can happen even without scouts if your opponent infiltrates really close to you - this just negates a scout move from getting that bounce towards a unit. Regardless with a potential 18" scout move for normal troops, it is easy to charge a unit which is potentially only 12" away.
    5. I like this one and actually failed to consider it totally.

Regardless, thanks for the kind and well considered response. At the end of the day I do find the rule confusing and I don't intend on doing it, I just read everything very literally and to me, without the extra digging that is how it literally reads. I just really wish they could have added a quick sentence just stating clearly that they could go outside of the deployment zone.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    1. May as well ignore the word "anywhere" in Scouts, as the rule would conform to your interpretation even if it were not printed,
    2. Read page 121 as not probative of whether, as you propose, deployment can never occur outside one's deployment zone,
    3. Disregard the fact that Infiltrators are said to deploy outside their deployment zone, when considering what it means to "deploy,"
    4. Read the first turn charge prohibition in Scouts as intended for a situation that, to my knowledge, can only be achieved by Imperial Guard players with Ursarkar Creed in their army, and
    5. Disregard the differences in wording between Princeps of Deceit and Scouts as probative of the meaning of "anywhere" or what it means to deploy.

I don't mean to suggest that you are being willfully blind, and I commend you for taking the interpretation least favorable to you as a general principle. In this case, though, the interpretation least favorable to you seems like it has five serious flaws that ought to prevent anybody from taking it, regardless of whether the result is favorable or unfavorable.
    Can I just commend Nabterayl on this post, as an in-depth, well sourced and coherently reasoned argument. I enjoyed reading it.

The Scout rule says: "...If the unit is Infantry, Artillery, a Walker or Monstrous Creature, each model can redploys anywhere entirely within 6" of its current position. If it is any other unit type, each model can instead redeploy anywhere entirely within 12" of its current position. During this redeployment, Scouts must remain more than 12" away from any enemy unit.

Anywhere means anywhere, there is no limitation upon the Scouts being in the deployment zone after the Scout move.

Scout moves are very much allowed outside the Deployment Zone as page 121 talks about a direct permission to actually deploy scout and infiltrators outside the deployment zone from the get go by allowing them to be the only ones to set up inside a friendly fort that is outside the deployment zone.

There is a further allowance that permits scout units to redeploy into unoccupied enemy fortifications and as fortifications can only be in you table half that MUST mean that Scouts can redeploy outside their deployment zone.

Librarian

I agree that units with scout and infiltrate can redeploy outside your deployment area, however the section on page 121 you mentioned states that :

If a fortification is deployed within 12" of the central line, only friendly units that have the infiltrate or scout special rules can (re)deploy within the building , regardless of of the proximity to enemy units.

It then says:

Units can never deploy inside an enemy fortification nor can they use pre-game abilities (like scout redeployment) to embark in enemy fortifications before the first turn begins.

This means that the enemy can stop your units from embarking in one of your own fortifications if they are within 12" of it, unless the unit has special pre-game abilities like the scout rule. Your units can never be set up as part of their re-deployment in enemy fortifications before 1st turn begins.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonette666 View Post
    Units can never deploy inside an enemy fortification nor can they use pre-game abilities (like scout redeployment) to embark in enemy fortifications before the first turn begins.

This means that the enemy can stop your units from embarking in one of your own fortifications if they are within 12" of it, unless the unit has special pre-game abilities like the scout rule. Your units can never be set up as part of their re-deployment in enemy fortifications before 1st turn begins.
    Yes my bad, I read it wrong.
    However enemy forts only stop your deploying if they are occupied at the time of re-deployment,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123