BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 59 of 121 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast

Simplest answer?

Round bases are coming in, but square bases aren't going anywhere.

If there's anything to the above rumour, strikes me the round bases are for the smaller scale games.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Eh... Different base styles for different types of games is stupid. Some idiot in the money-making branch of GW might think, "Well, they'll want to buy multiple units, so they can play both styles!" But anyone who games knows that at that point, people will just go with the square bases, because it fits the style of their current armies and would work in both. I'm not sold on them making such a mistake. Going to round bases is bad enough, but trying to do two base styles in the same game is just silly.

Chapter-Master

I'm with Mystery - Okkams Razor. There are obviously round bases coming but can we really see GW being so stupid as to force everyone to re-base all their square models? No. So logical and simple answer is skirmish is on round and main on square.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

It's not even necessarily obvious that round bases are coming out. What if all these rumourmongers just saw the displays being prepared for the Warhammer World re-opening and got hold of the wrong end of the stick? What if they just looked better that way on a display that's never going to be used for gaming?

Its more fun to generate half baked hate rumors since the community as a whole seems much more receptive to taking that and running with it.

Until the books come out - who knows?

I'm still not rebasing anything. If the skirmish game is for the round bases, I'll still play it with squares the same as I do in 40k when I field my square based demons and have for over a decade now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    I'm with Mystery - Okkams Razor. There are obviously round bases coming but can we really see GW being so stupid as to force everyone to re-base all their square models? No. So logical and simple answer is skirmish is on round and main on square.
    That's not really the "simple" answer unless you're looking at it from the "sales" view that thinks you can double sales that way.

And if you want to go the route of "GW wouldn't be so stupid as to make everyone rebase," well... Either we're not supposed to use our current models in skirmish, or we have to rebase if we want to play smaller games. So yeah, guess they are that stupid.

Chapter-Master

I'll admit I can't really think of a good reason for moving the skirmish game to round bases since it doesn't particularly matter what sort of base you have. But then I can think of even fewer reasons for making everyone re-base their army. Technically, the simplest thing would not to be changing bases at all, but that seems unlikely given the appearance of round based models.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Fly Lord

A couple of notes on the Square vs Round debate.

Harry chimed in on Warseer saying both bases would work and it would be OK, and not to panic.

Another Warseer rumormonger (I forgot who) let slip that in those pics above, there may have been a time issue with the Studio painters getting prepped for the Warhammer World re-opening and they may have prioritized the rebasing of the lizardmen starting with the kits that will make it into 9th, and put off the ones that will become unavailable.

There has been a general description of 9th that goes something like this:

1) All the existing army books and units are legal (so every mini you have can be used)
    2) The existing 15+ armybooks get combined into 6 factions (End Times style basically)
    3) GW however, will only produce a smaller subset of minis for WFB moving forward, so lots of "minor/fringe" units will not be getting new production runs ever, what's out there is it.
    4) GW will update, and release new minis/army books for the "new mega factions" moving forward.
    5)The game will move to round bases for all new production, but the rules allow square bases with no penalty for existing collections.

This is coming from collating what the reliable people have been saying for a while.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

3) just sounds like nonsense.

Not replace the kits? That's one thing.

But cease production when the cost of the mould has already been paid? Why? Even if they sell relatively slowly, the cost of keeping them available is pretty minimal. Indeed, if you pay £X to get it on the shelf from the ground up, if you withdraw it (and apparently en masse kits wise) before it's made £X in profit, you've just taken a loss for absolutely no good reason
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

yeah I still don't buy that bit, especially given that the rumours of what is staying and what is going are inconsistent. what was it, something like the carnosaur going but the stegadon staying? makes no sense at all.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.