BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 42 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

I just don't see what round bases would add to the game. there would have to be new movement trays with round holes, why bother?
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Brother-Sergeant

So does this mean GW is going to supply everyone with free round bases then? I don't see myself opening my wallet just to purchases round bases.

No, because the rumour is clearly bollocks.

Warhammer, despite allegedly low sales (unsubstantiated claim that, as GW don't publish a breakdown) remains the most widely played 28mm Fantasy Wargame, and I'm willing to bet by quite a large margin.

So why move the game away from that? It's as much a game of cunning, well planned deployment and manoeuvres as it is about beating your opponent's troops round the head with a stout club - if not more so.

It's what the game does, and because bollocks the competitive whiners it does that incredibly well, I just can't that being taken away.

Stuff being added? New ways to play which might involve a smaller scale and round bases for a skirmish scale ala Boremachine? That's quite something different.

If this is a move to revitalise disappointing sales, why force the thousands upon thousands of existing, if not necessarily active, owners of armies to ditch stuff en masse?

I'll tell you why - IT'S BECAUSE THE RUMOURS SAYING SO ARE CLEARLY BOLLOCKS.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

I could understand it being considered, Lord/War of the Rings had round bases and movement trays with round holes. but that was geared toward the smaller end of gaming. It would be a massive task to change Warhammer over to that system.

Even if the new edition uses round bases, there is no reason to rip up your minis and re-base them. You can still use those models to play End Times, or 8th edition, or indeed any new game: you can use models on square bases in a "squad" or whatever in the 40k fashion, if that's what the new edition is.

Nobody is going to force you to do anything.

People are, as usual, running around flapping their arms without really thinking.
    Last edited by Cap'nSmurfs; 03-25-2015 at 07:47 PM.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

I only post this to ring balance to the speculations.
    Mr mystery is adamant the game will remain the same; I am adamant that it will not.
    He sites his 1 reliable source who has said it will not change. I can only say that , due to my job , I too am a reliable source who has felt the need to vent on this forum due to what I know is coming.
    Mr mystery will scream for proof, I cannot present any pictures of leaked documents or photos of figures.
    But can he present proof that the game will remain the same...

I present these facts to you..they will happen and you should be aware of how our hobby will change in its next version. I do not say it's all doom and gloom. Simply different.

GW has a great cash cow with 40k and wants warhammer to follow suit.
    To play the game at the moment requires a great investment of time and money and excludes a lot of people who do not have this excess of either.
    The game is complicated with rules that can still be interpreted in different ways by different gamers.
    You have to make choices around your army that means you cannot buy all the figures you may want to, cause they don't fit in your army.
    So...simple warhammer solutions. Smaller units in skirmish formations...yes on round bases...but who really gives one ( true?) no restrictions buy what you want, paint it use it.
    The fluff shows you the way. The world is flattened, there are no more huge armies left, there is no great canvas on which these armies could meet, no cities to fight over.
    Guys, its pretty obvious really isn't it ? And it will be fun, different but fun...
    Mr mystery, feel free to have a friendly swipe at this sir !

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'nSmurfs View Post
    Nobody is going to force you to do anything.
    Wrong! I will force you to do anything! Aha! Ahahaha! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

No, it's not 'obvious' at all.

As has been mentioned on various occasions - right now Warhammer has a large player base. And said large player base have been at it a while, and will have large armies (I for one have around 5,000 points of Ogres).

Warhammer at the moment caters very nicely for games of 1,500 upwards (really hitting it's stride at 2,500 if you ask me).

What it doesn't do is scale downwards - and yes that means it can be off putting to newcomers.

Does that mean the whole thing is boiled down to a 40klone skirmish? No. Don't be silly. What it might mean is the addition of skirmish scaled rules - either as a supplement, sister product, or within the core rules themselves.

What you are claiming makes absolutely no financial sense whatsoever. There would be no compulsion for anyone to rebase anything - all it would do is help bring some new players. Which is of course a good thing. But skirmish games have their play roof - a certain amount of points which populates the board with some many models needing moved individually that the game becomes a chore. And that creates a spending roof - why would I spend the sort of money I have on my Ogres when I'll be incredibly unlikely to field it all, compared to 8th Ed where it's really easy to run a 5k game.

40k has this, but kind of got round it with Apocalypse, which was billed as allowing massive, weekend long games to take place.

Warhammer too has this points roof - but I've never met it, because yes I may have around 750 models on the field, but comprising maybe 25 units at most.

And you can keep going on about 'protecting your job' etc Except as a former GW staffer, and given you claim to have insider knowledge and are protecting your job one can only assume your are alluding to a job within GW, I can spot a present or former staffer a mile off - it takes a certain frothy hobby loonie who isn't that fussed for money. And you don't strike me as that - particularly given the negative bent to your statements (simplified to the point of 'snap' is a close approximation of one). I very much doubt anyone able to get into the design studio would ever be such a negative nancy - mainly on account they've probably had a hand in the design.

Then there are the inaccuracies in your posts - 'it's being playtested now'. Erm....nah. Not if it's due out in a month or two - would all have been finalised, page set and bunged over to the printers some time ago - even WD was printed at least three months in advance, meaning any writing would be done four or five months ahead of release.

So sorry dude, whilst I'm sure you have your reasons, I just don't buy any of what you're saying, particularly when it clashes with a rumour monger known to be connected and reliable.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Warhammer is not complicated, i learned it at 12 and taught my brother when he was 7. The whole point of warhammer is to have regiments facing off, not skskirmishing units. They will lose a lit of players if this turns out to be true. Harry is still the one with the track record though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    Warhammer is not complicated, i learned it at 12 and taught my brother when he was 7. The whole point of warhammer is to have regiments facing off, not skskirmishing units. They will lose a lit of players if this turns out to be true. Harry is still the one with the track record though.
    Yup. Having it scale better from skirmish up to regiments makes sense, hell even having an integrated form of Mordheim included would make more sense than scrapping the Battles in Warhammer Fantasy Battles.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Page 42 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast